2012 Jetta TDI Oil Change

childog69

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just got a 2012 Jetta TDI in Stick. The car is great I love it. They say dont change he engine oil for 10k that seems a little high for me. Escpeciallialy since its the first change. I ordered all the parts to change the oil myself I think Im gonna do it myself The car has 2,000 mile on it i figure its the first change and it cant hurt because whatever miute tolerences are in the engine will wear during heat up and cool down, I was always led to believe you get a new car and yo cange the oil after 1,000k. "Is there some some special breakin engine oil WW uses when a car leaves the factory." I hard that somewhere... I really dont know whet to to do.

I had a 2008 Dodge Cummings Truck with a 5 inch pipe comming off the turbo, and i disabled the EGR unit and evere since I did that I never once had aproblem with the truck.

I would like to to do the same with the Jetta but I am not sure if it is even possible. doese anytboday know anything to help mme with me questions?:confused::D

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
This question gets asked here about once a month, has been ever since I bought mine back in 2001. And the answer's been the same all that time as well. (1) VW does the initial break in before they put the engine in the car, so no, there is no special oil in there when you get it. (2) The 10,000 mile interval is actually VERY conservative; in Europe, they call for 20,000 to 30,000 OCIs for the same vehicle/oils. (3) There is evidence, albeit anecdotal, that early oil changes actually increase wear rates, so the concensus here is "don't do it." (4) The oils VW specifies for TDIs are expensive. At best all you are doing by changing it early is helping make somebody else's boat payments, so don't do it. Instead, if you got money burning holes in your pocket, feel free to write me a check to dispose of it. I'll be happy to take it.

rickdis

TDI
2012 Sportwagon White Gold
I just picked up my 2012 TDI Sportwagon from the dealer today after its 10,000 mile service. The service guy asked if I had changed the oil at 5000 and I said no, VW says 10000 and I asked if I should be changing at 5000 intervals. His words, "if you are buying the car, change every 5000, if you are leasing change every 10000. Interesting answer I thought. - I am buying, but I am glad I am not buying a previously leased vehicle. I will probably start changing every 5000.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
DO NOT CHANGE THE OIL now!! wait until the recommendend interval it is a total waste to change early......
and it is highly illegal to tamper with emission control devices and Taboo to talk about it here!!

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I just picked up my 2012 TDI Sportwagon from the dealer today after its 10,000 mile service. The service guy asked if I had changed the oil at 5000 and I said no, VW says 10000 and I asked if I should be changing at 5000 intervals. His words, "if you are buying the car, change every 5000, if you are leasing change every 10000. Interesting answer I thought. - I am buying, but I am glad I am not buying a previously leased vehicle. I will probably start changing every 5000.
If the Jiffy lube "technician" told you to change it every three thousand miles..would you? I'm always interested in knowing why someone would take the word of a "technician" that changes your oil instead of a mechanical or chemical engineer or even the actual manufacturer. But, it is your car and your money. Enjoy the new ride.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
"Service guy" works for "service department." Service departments make their money by service, e.g., doing oil changes. The more oil changes they do, the more money they make. I think the point is clear.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm >Naturist
......The 10,000 mile interval is actually VERY conservative;
in Europe, they call for 20,000 to 30,000 OCIs for the same vehicle/oils.......​
Thank you for that point -- appreciated the input on that issue.

stormy

TDI
Seat Leon 5F ST DSG 2.0TDI EA288
Over here in Germany the "LongLife-Intervall" is 30tkm or 2 years, so I will go ahead and get the car serviced with an oil change and then change the oil extra after 15tkm;)

That is a little less than 10k miles on each oil change. Less is a waste of money i think. Unless you drive the car only on short trips:)

Until I startet reading here I probably would have done the first change early, after reading here I would just change the oilfilter and top it of :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did he tell you to change the air in your tires every 5K miles as well? The only reason he recomended 5K mile OCI's is to get more money out of your pocket.