Emergency Brake - Rear Left Wheel issue?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Hi all,

I noticed this morning as I was parking into my space at work, that my E-brake had about 1 1/2" of free pull (basically the first click) before I feel any tension. This is very odd to me, as I always had tension. Does anyone know how this happens?
Is something stuck at the brake at the left rear wheel?

I also noticed that at the left rear wheel, my fender gap is about 3/4" higher than my right rear. It wasn't like this before. Is this linked to the e-brake? Currently I am parked on level ground with the car in gear. Not going to use the E-brake until we figure this out.

Can some of you chime in with your thoughts about this?

Thanks guys (and Gals),

Chris
1999.5 Golf TDI ALH

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
E-brake cables like to corrode and stick. The best way to check is to examine the outside of the cable for any swelled spots. If there are any, buy a new brake cable. If nothing visual is obvious, you will need to release the cable ends from the calipers and verify that the cable slides easily. You will also want to know that the parking brake mechanism in the brake caliper operates correctly (no binding). But usually this problem is corroded cables that will not move and cause one caliper to hang onto the rotor or refuse to allow the e-brake to work on that caliper.

HTH

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Thanks Powder. Took a look at the Bentley Manual last night. Looks pretty straight forword.

Still can't figure out or understand the fender gap issue.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
broken coil spring

STRANGETDI said:
....Still can't figure out or understand the fender gap issue.
Check for a broken coil spring. Check the bottom ends (of the spring) and see if it looks jagged.