want to get aftermarket projector headlights for 2006 Jetta

blinkx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI | RIP: MK4 Golf
Hi,

I want to get aftermarket project headlights that resembles OEM HID lights but having a hard time finding any units online. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Kyosho618

TDI
2005.5 JETTA TDI, 2012 PASSAT TDI SEL
Why not just get used OEM ones and re-pin your harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blinkx

TDI
Why not just get used OEM ones and re-pin your harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
those are hard to find too! and pricey and I think I have to get all the associated hardware too? auto-levelling motors, wiring harness or something?

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Why not contact Freakwitharacket I think is his name here. Midwestlight.biz or the name of the business is Midwest Light Creations. He built MkIV, MkV, Jeep Liberty and sourced some HID's for my Jeep Wrangler.

Or, do you mean the projectors with LED lights?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I had both aftermarket and OEM. Don't buy the aftermarket, they suck at night. You can install a pair of OEM ones without the auto-leveling motors, all you need is an adapter harness 10 to 12 pins. That's the current set-up I have on my car and I'm happy. If I correctly recall, you will need to do some VCDS coding.

blinkx

TDI
I had both aftermarket and OEM. Don't buy the aftermarket, they suck at night. You can install a pair of OEM ones without the auto-leveling motors, all you need is an adapter harness 10 to 12 pins. That's the current set-up I have on my car and I'm happy. If I correctly recall, you will need to do some VCDS coding.

does it matter which year or model? can I use GTI/GLI HID housings from any year as long as they are MK5? I think I will have to hunt on Ebay and might have to buy left and right separately..

Then I can find any reputable ballast and bulb, get the adapter wire, VCDS coding. I hope ODBEleven can do the coding.

thanks,

blinkx

TDI
Why not contact Freakwitharacket I think is his name here. Midwestlight.biz or the name of the business is Midwest Light Creations. He built MkIV, MkV, Jeep Liberty and sourced some HID's for my Jeep Wrangler.
Or, do you mean the projectors with LED lights?
I wanted OEM look and I don't think there are any good aftermarket ones that look OEM. it might just cost more going aftermarket too.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
does it matter which year or model? can I use GTI/GLI HID housings from any year as long as they are MK5? I think I will have to hunt on Ebay and might have to buy left and right separately..
Then I can find any reputable ballast and bulb, get the adapter wire, VCDS coding. I hope ODBEleven can do the coding.
thanks,
I think that all MK5 GTI /GLI are the same regardless of the year. The OEM ballast is being connected to the bottom of the housing, and the OEM light bulb is Philips D2S 4300K. To make it work, you need the OEM ballast (often the headlight housing is sold witht eh ballast still attached) and the 10 to 12 pin harness adapter (connect the 10 pin side to the current connector on the car and the 12 pin side tot he HID headlight).
This one still has the ballast attached (you can see it in the second picture):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Headli...4:g:mDIAAOSwQmhbdY9J:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Same here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-09-Volk...T:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!48044!US!-1:rk:12:pf:0

You will also need two igniters, part number 1 307 329 076, but I would order first the headlamps (they might still have the igniter and the bulbs inside).

Last edited:

blinkx

TDI
hey thanks so much for those 2 listings. Too bad those sellers do not ship to Canada.. and I guess that is why I couldn't find those when I was looking.

if they do not come with ballast, could I just get any ballast for the bulbs? any ballast that works with DS2 bulbs should work right?

Thanks,

I think that all MK5 GTI /GLI are the same regardless of the year. The OEM ballast is being connected to the bottom of the housing, and the OEM light bulb is Philips D2S 4300K. To make it work, you need the OEM ballast (often the headlight housing is sold witht eh ballast still attached) and the 10 to 12 pin harness adapter (connect the 10 pin side to the current connector on the car and the 12 pin side tot he HID headlight).
This one still has the ballast attached (you can see it in the second picture):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Headli...4:g:mDIAAOSwQmhbdY9J:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Same here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-09-Volk...T:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!48044!US!-1:rk:12:pf:0

You will also need two igniters, part number 1 307 329 076, but I would order first the headlamps (they might still have the igniter and the bulbs inside).

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
hey thanks so much for those 2 listings. Too bad those sellers do not ship to Canada.. and I guess that is why I couldn't find those when I was looking.
if they do not come with ballast, could I just get any ballast for the bulbs? any ballast that works with DS2 bulbs should work right?
Thanks,
By using aftermarket ballasts you are over-complicating what otherwise would be a simple, neat plug and play mod. The OEM HID projector headlight housing has specific internal wiring (including to the self-leveling motors, if you chose to add that option later). The connector is built in the headlight housing. By installing an aftermarket ballast you will have to cut wires and more than likely not be able to clear the Light out error in the dashboard. On the other hand, your car with its current set-up is delivering a certain voltage to the headlights. If you install the OEM HID headlights, they will flicker, you will need to change that with VCDS to make it work with HID.
Send me a private message, maybe we can work something out if you pay-pal me the money, I will buy for you the headlights from the two listings I have previously sent you and then I will ship them to you in Canada, at no extra profit for me.

blinkx

TDI
By using aftermarket ballasts you are over-complicating what otherwise would be a simple, neat plug and play mod. The OEM HID projector headlight housing has specific internal wiring (including to the self-leveling motors, if you chose to add that option later). The connector is built in the headlight housing. By installing an aftermarket ballast you will have to cut wires and more than likely not be able to clear the Light out error in the dashboard. On the other hand, your car with its current set-up is delivering a certain voltage to the headlights. If you install the OEM HID headlights, they will flicker, you will need to change that with VCDS to make it work with HID.
Send me a private message, maybe we can work something out if you pay-pal me the money, I will buy for you the headlights from the two listings I have previously sent you and then I will ship them to you in Canada, at no extra profit for me.
ah ok, makes sense.

hey, thanks for the offer but I asked my friend to buy it for me. hope that goes through...

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
any ballast that works with DS2 bulbs should work right?

One other recommendation, spend the money for genuine Philips D2S bulbs from a legit seller, such as The Retrofit Source. Yes, they were pricey. But they work flawlessly.

I made the mistake of buying some "Philips" bulbs off of Amazon and they were obviously counterfeit. The hue was off between the two and about 5000 miles in they began going dark when I would go over a speed bump or hit a bump in the road. I'd have to cycle the lights to turn them back on. That was $60 wasted.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
One other recommendation, spend the money for genuine Philips D2S bulbs from a legit seller, such as The Retrofit Source. Yes, they were pricey. But they work flawlessly.

I made the mistake of buying some "Philips" bulbs off of Amazon and they were obviously counterfeit. The hue was off between the two and about 5000 miles in they began going dark when I would go over a speed bump or hit a bump in the road. I'd have to cycle the lights to turn them back on. That was $60 wasted.
Forgot to add that detail to my post.

blinkx

TDI

Thanks. my friend has an extra set so I will try that set first.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
It's part of the Headlamp housing. There is the connector to the ballast on the bottom of the headlight (that connector has the wires routed inside of the housing ). Inside the headlamp you will see a designated calble with a connector for the igniter (the igniter will be attached to the D2s bulb). In conclusion, the only harness you need is the 10 to 12 pin one.

blinkx

TDI
It's part of the Headlamp housing. There is the connector to the ballast on the bottom of the headlight (that connector has the wires routed inside of the housing ). Inside the headlamp you will see a designated calble with a connector for the igniter (the igniter will be attached to the D2s bulb). In conclusion, the only harness you need is the 10 to 12 pin one.
Great, thanks for the info.

Also, in case the housings the not include an igniter. What are the specifications that I need to search for in case I need to buy an igniter ?

Thanks