request for big mileage on big torque motors.

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
Is there anyone out there that has big mileage on a big torque motor ? I'm trying to focus on the 300-400 ft lb of tq range. Also the 200-300 range for a stock bottom end. Bonus points if that bottom end never comes out of the car. I'm serious here guys. When I talk about the work my Jetta can do, stock, at over 231k miles, trans clutch and turbo included, its unbelievable. So I want to take this a step further. The video that was posted in my thread about diesels doing hard work, the one with the old school bug and the roof hitch, has really got me thinking. I need to make my way up to Vancouver, BC and get one of the deals I've seen on TDI mk4 wagons. I already even have the diesel truck I could use to tow it back. I think the wagon would be the ideal setup, because its got the greatest surface area on the roof to spread the force of whatever load would be connected. I basically am trying to "copy" the dyno graph of my diesel truck, but with the motor in my diesel car.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Those are pretty high numbers, but are completely doable if you throw enough money at it. Then again, I don't know how the transmission will like that.

Just off the top of my head...

Turbo (17/22 VNT)
Front mount intercooler
PD150/custom intake
3" downpipe + exhaust
11mm pump + lift pump
Race 520s
Head studs
Cam
Monster clutch + LSD (if you're smart)
Port & polish?
Motormounts (stockies would probably get torn right off the first pull)

For the price of all those parts without labor you could probably pick up a pretty clean F350 Diesel or similar.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I sure haven't seen many deals on TDI wagons around here!

The only ones that ever seem to pop up under $10k are salvage title or thrashed.

You definitely can build a TDI that will get in to that power range no problem but yeah, it isn't going to be cheap. I'm working on one right now, my build budget has almost matched what we paid for my wife's '04 1.8T wagon back in the spring. I'm going all out though....

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
If you want to pull stumps with big TQ at low rpm, stick to a 49mm turbo

GTC1549vz is the cat's meow right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A4-A5-A6-Q5-2-0-tdi-genuine-Garrett-GTC1549VZ-turbocharger-S4-S6-Allroad-/230898381484?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c29db2ac

http://www.shop.ngc-turbotechnik.de/garrett-turbolader/gtc/turbolader-gtc1549vz-vw-gruppe.php

I would go for that or a 3rd gen 49mm VNT way before a 1752 or 2260

400ft-lbs and 200bhp shouldn't be a problem. Go easy on driver's request (except when pulling stumps) and FE should be 40+MPG too :)

Last edited:

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
Vancbcguy: you guys seem to have all the good deals compared to my area.
The plan was to find a mkiv wagon that had a bad engine and or trans to do the build on. Or find a good running higher mileage car ... but I already have a diesel f250. The thing is it will never reach 20 mpg... ever. Straight drive c6 ford bb auto trans, 6.5k lbs dry weight and 4wd get me about 19 mpg, and that's way down at like 55 mph. I don't actually think I'll even need more then 225-250 lb ft of torque. I'm just trying to mimic the trucks dyno curves as much as possible.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Your truck was rated at 180hp and 345 ft/lb at the crank (or less if you have a 6.9)

It is also routed through an auto trans and 4x4 stuff for more power loss. At a conservative 15% loss you would put down around 153hp and 293 ft/lb. Should be fairly easily attainable with a TDI.

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
yeah my truck is the 6.9. 175 hp, 315 lb ft of torque. but i get my torque at 1400 rpms. but it has never not towed what we put behind it.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Not going to get your torque peak nearly that low with a little 4 cylinder. Faster turbo spool at a lower RPM will help burn the fuel it takes to build a bigger earlier torque peak. But at some point it also becomes a simple matter of displacement, 1.9L is a whole lot less than 6.9L.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I agree with the suggestion above: GTC1549VZ all the way!

I've done a day of driving at 61.8MPG with my '10 Passat running a GTC1244VZ ;)

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I'm waiting to see a dyno of the GTC1549vz. I see a lot of talk but not much in hard numbers.
No dyno plots yet, but TDIMeister has shared some numbers on it:

I know of someone who just purchased a GTC1549VZ, P/N 03L 145 721B, fitted into the CR170. I believe this will be the hot turbo for people who want a moderate performance upgrade -- supports max PR=3.4 and 0.18 kg/sec (24 lb/min) -- without sacrificing one-iota of spool-up response from stock, if not even better. Will keep updated.
24lbs/min should do 200-215 smoke free bhp and PR is very impressive on these new generation comp wheels vs. the small comp exducer sizes!

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
Guys, I know its related, but please don't turn this thread into a turbo thread... I'm mainly looking for people that have the experience of high mileage issues in cars making 50, 60, 75 and 100 lb/ft of torque per cylinder, and get our mileage. Show me a car that runs on pig manure, and gets 40 mpg... I'll drive that too :)

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Guys, I know its related, but please don't turn this thread into a turbo thread... I'm mainly looking for people that have the experience of high mileage issues in cars making 50, 60, 75 and 100 lb/ft of torque per cylinder, and get our mileage. Show me a car that runs on pig manure, and gets 40 mpg... I'll drive that too :)
Those numbers are not that remarkable, BHW makes more than 50 lb/ft per cylinder from the factory. 100 lb/ft per cylinder is a bunch of torque, but there are quite a few around here doing that with daily drivers. Mine has 270K miles on it and has been making close to that for ~ 75K and still yields 40-42 MPG at 80 MPH. So, if you don't want to know the details of how we do it, then what exactly are you wanting to be "shown"?

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
i towed most of my stuff from colorado to florida with my tdi.. and got 28mpg+ over the entire trip of 1900+ miles....no issues.. stayed in 6th the entire time with no problems going up hills...

I make way more than 100tq/cylinder

I would say how much i had in the uhaul but apparently it was way more than i thought i had and people got mad at me last time i posted them...oh well... it was an honest mistake and i had no issues.. hitch performed well and nothing was damaged at all...

Last edited:

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
i try not to put my entire request in the title. im mainly looking at what the high torque guys have had to do to beef their cars up to take a motor and driver that want to pull stuff using the full torque.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
It's funny your asking for things that are generally mutually exclusive. To make power cost you fuel which means reduced mileage, and to make 400+ ft/lbs on a stock bottom end (depending on engine) is stretching the capacity of what one would say is "Safe".

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I think he wants to know how to build it to SURVIVE for many miles (high mileage), not how to get good fuel economy.

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
I said 200-300 on a stock bottom end, then maybe 400 on a built motor. And I know how to get fuel economy.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
That be cray cray mm-lbs yo.

And he asked for high mileage vehicles. eyes be rollin'
i have over 30k miles on gtb2260vk setup with over 100k on the engine.. the engine has been nothing but reliable thanks to Mr. Malone....:D

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
stock pd100 axr with vb turbo abd pd150 injectores.. 330ftlb (450nm) 150.000km with it an 60.000km before that with 260ftlb (355nm). before i sold it

new owner is planing a 2260vk setup

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I don't have huge power by any means compared to some here, but I'm not scared of pulling a trailer and running 1400+ EGT's continuously for hours on end. I think I dynoed at ~140 HP and 270 ft-lbf (which is low for the equipment I have and others dyno's). I ran this setup for ~100k miles until I broke a piston a couple years ago.

I think this is what broke the piston...http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3611120#post3611120

Most of the details are here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=338260