MFA/FIS/Sport Cluster POSSIBLE on 99.5!!!

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Yes, its true. It seems that it is possible.
I am reading on some German forums and it indeed is possible.
I am going to bite the bullet and buy one and get back to you guys.
They have a CAN adapter, but I don't think it is even needed :eek:.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Let us know... Though my clock style MFA works quite well :)

-J
Well I have tried Immo2 clusters on my car and everything but Immo (obviously) and Airbag light works fine.
I am reading that apparently it can be made to work with little problems or none at all. Just the miles to empty function could be a bugger...

I am bidding on a Gas sport cluster on eBay as we speak. i will let you guys know ;)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
What about Immobilizer? USA 99.5 non CAN cluster has no Immobilizer and 2000+ has!!!
Euro models had immobilizer in None CAN clusters.
Sounds like me like he is going to use an immo2 cluster and do an immo delete on it to try to make it work on a 99.5.

I doubt it is going to work, personally.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Immo doesn't do anything since the ECU isn't programmed to interface to the Immo on the cluster. Its like having an Immo delete tune on an newer MK4.
Easiest way to fix is to just cover the Immo light with tape and that is it. It won't do any damage and, really, there isn't any point in trying to fiddle with it.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Sounds like me like he is going to use an immo2 cluster and do an immo delete on it to try to make it work on a 99.5.

I doubt it is going to work, personally.
I don't think either. That why I ask him about IMMO.
And also the biggest problem is CAN Bus.I plugged immo2 cluster on my 99.5 and most of controllers has faulty codes. 01 engine had code for glow plugs , air bag had can bus problem, Immo light was flushing all time. It was good to have it at DEC 25 :).
The bast way to have MFA in 99.5 is what compu_85 did.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
I don't think either. That why I ask him about IMMO.
And also the biggest problem is CAN Bus.I plugged immo2 cluster on my 99.5 and most of controllers has faulty codes. 01 engine had code for glow plugs , air bag had can bus problem, Immo light was flushing all time. It was good to have it at DEC 25 :).
The bast way to have MFA in 99.5 is what compu_85 did.
Apparently our cars are CAN capable.
Either that, or the European ECU's are Double Mode and I need to get my hands on a AHF ECU...
(Double Mode as in Analog and has CAN-Bus)

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Apparently our cars are CAN capable.
Either that, or the European ECU's are Double Mode and I need to get my hands on a AHF ECU...
(Double Mode as in Analog and has CAN-Bus)
It is not just ECU.
In Immo 2 or 3 ,All controllers has CAN Bus.Air bag, ABS, ECU, CC module, Auto Transmission ECU, and Cluster.So all this controllers has to communicate with each other via CAN Bus.

Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
It is not just ECU.
In Immo 2 or 3 ,All controllers has CAN Bus.Air bag, ABS, ECU, CC module, Auto Transmission ECU, and Cluster.So all this controllers has to communicate with each other via CAN Bus.
But but but, some guys in Europe got a 920 Audi TT cluster working with just Analog signals, and that is what I plan of doing with a GLI cluster, or forking over 150Euros + Shipping for a CAN Adapter.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Good luck to you.
Did they said how many days or hours they spend ?
I can assure you it is possible ,but how long it will take you to do all this stuff?

It took 2 years compu_85 to make 99 MFA cluster to work on his car.

Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Good luck to you.
Did they said how many days or hours they spend ?
I can assure you it is possible ,but how long it will take you to do all this stuff?

It took 2 years compu_85 to make 99 MFA cluster to work on his car.
Good luck isn't needed. Just deep enough pockets, passion and will power! :D
As soon as I get the cluster, I can work on it.
Trust me, its not rocket science. Worst case scenario is that I need to buy a CAN-Bus simulator.
I love challenges and I love being able to do something that "supposedly" isn't possible.

Oh! And a lot of Google Translator :p:D

Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Let us know how is going .
So far, I know which adapter I have to buy from ebay.de if I really need an adapter. There is also an EEPROM trick. I will know for sure when I get the cluster.

Also, if adapter is needed, I will try to reverse engineer it and produce a similar model myself. 100+ Euros for a simple PCB and tiny chip is way too much $$.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It took me so long to get my MFA working because I didn't read the wiring diagrams properly :rolleyes:

Remember, 99.5s use CAN bus too. That's how ASR works, how the CCM talks to the door slave modules, etc.

One of these days I want to get a CAN packet sniffer and see what's going out over the wire...

-Jason

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
It took me so long to get my MFA working because I didn't read the wiring diagrams properly :rolleyes:

Remember, 99.5s use CAN bus too. That's how ASR works, how the CCM talks to the door slave modules, etc.

One of these days I want to get a CAN packet sniffer and see what's going out over the wire...

-Jason
Are the CAN wires going to the cluster or not?
Maybe some modules aren't talking on the CAN line. Immo2/3 clusters do get a Tach/speed signal when they are on my 99.5, and that must mean that that there is some CAN action going on.

Last edited:

Lucas

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Variant ARL DSG
99.5 use CAN for ABS, and some signals are transmitted over CAN in the 99.5 models, you have to be a bit lucky though. I installed one the other day on one of the latest Bora's 1999 (MSA15 ecu), and everything worked fine, except the airbag light. But we made that work by installing a newer airbag controller.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
99.5 use CAN for ABS, and some signals are transmitted over CAN in the 99.5 models, you have to be a bit lucky though. I installed one the other day on one of the latest Bora's 1999 (MSA15 ecu), and everything worked fine, except the airbag light. But we made that work by installing a newer airbag controller.
New airbag controller eh?
I think just a simple adaptation might fix it though. Most modules are CAN capable, I think.
Thats one problem down though. If replacing the controller does the rick, then its a simple fix and only have a few other kinks to work out.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
My car has CAN wiring going to the cluster, but it's VERY late production. I've seen 2000s made the same month.

-J

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
I recently swapped an immo2 cluster into my early (11/98) 99.5 Golf. (needed to be able to change the pulses per mile value for my 6-speed swap:D)

on the true 99.5 cluster, the CEL, GP light, and Air Bag light are all controlled directly from their respective control units. for the 2001 immo2 cluster, everything comes in through the can bus. if you open the cluster and are competent with electronics, its a simple matter to rewire the cluster to work properly.

the last two things i have left to take care of are the odometer and the immo light. I have access to a VAGDASHCOM for the odo, and there are two ways to fix the immo. first, you could add an immo coil and program a key to it. second, pull the LED. because the is no coil at all, the cluster will not beep at you on start up, it will simply flash the LED.

Originally, I was going to take the first option, but have since decided upon the second. I believe I still have the schematics I came up with in the trunk of my car. I will upload them if anyone is interested.

EDIT: also, vehicles have used a CAN system for ECU to IC communication for many years, it was only recently (2001 for our VW's) that the CAN system was used as a full vehicle system.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
I recently swapped an immo2 cluster into my early (11/98) 99.5 Golf. (needed to be able to change the pulses per mile value for my 6-speed swap:D)

on the true 99.5 cluster, the CEL, GP light, and Air Bag light are all controlled directly from their respective control units. for the 2001 immo2 cluster, everything comes in through the can bus. if you open the cluster and are competent with electronics, its a simple matter to rewire the cluster to work properly.

the last two things i have left to take care of are the odometer and the immo light. I have access to a VAGDASHCOM for the odo, and there are two ways to fix the immo. first, you could add an immo coil and program a key to it. second, pull the LED. because the is no coil at all, the cluster will not beep at you on start up, it will simply flash the LED.

Originally, I was going to take the first option, but have since decided upon the second. I believe I still have the schematics I came up with in the trunk of my car. I will upload them if anyone is interested.

EDIT: also, vehicles have used a CAN system for ECU to IC communication for many years, it was only recently (2001 for our VW's) that the CAN system was used as a full vehicle system.
I think I qualify as "competent" with electronics. :D I flash all kinds of hardware.
Would you mind sharing what needs to be changed on the cluster?
I will be playing with some Immo2 clusters (junk yards give em away for 20 bucks :p) on my car tomorrow before I buy a Sport MFA cluster.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006

That is very good news.
Do you think Immo3 cluster can be done same way on 99.5?

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
yes. the immo3 should be able to be overcome like the immo2 cluster. without first looking at the cluster, i can't guarantee what circuitry is used, but i should at least be similar to the immo2, as both use a micro-controller to trigger the lights. I am currently thinking about getting a non-mfa sport cluster, which will be able to go in.

not having looked into it, the only thing i would be leery of would be the MFA/FIS clusters, as they require a full can-bus.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW

Ignore the ABS light, my ABS sensor is shot. The middle light is brake pad wear sensor which I need to code off. Tach works and seems accurate (need to plug in VCDS to double check but I think so). Speedometer works although im not sure if its accurate but it can be adjusted.
Immo light can be covered up. Airbag could possibly be fixed with proper coding. The consumption write has to be connected and sport fis cluster is a go!

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Huh, who would have thought it would work straight off. Still have to see if the MFA cluster works. That will be the big question.

As for the brake pad light, it's a simple coding change with vag-com.

As for the immo light, I would de-solder the LED from the board and remove it. Save it and put it in the rear fog area like I did with my cluster.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Ignore the ABS light, my ABS sensor is shot. The middle light is brake pad wear sensor which I need to code off. Tach works and seems accurate (need to plug in VCDS to double check but I think so). Speedometer works although im not sure if its accurate but it can be adjusted.
Immo light can be covered up. Airbag could possibly be fixed with proper coding. The consumption write has to be connected and sport fis cluster is a go!
You just don't want to listen to people.
MFA/FIS cluster will need full can-bus.It is only way to work.Also millage to empty, MPG is reported by ECU witch 99.5 ECU don't have it same way as Immo3 ECU has.

Speedo , RPM-s, Temperature , fuel gauge will work with no problem. Even I plugged Bettle cluster in my 99.5 and all this thing will work .

You will find lot of info by reading this tread posted long time by Nihilator:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3568883

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe there is a wire in the ECU labeled"fuel consumption data". I remember reading compu85's thread on it and he had to hook it up to the cluster and then it worked.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
You just don't want to listen to people.
MFA/FIS cluster will need full can-bus.It is only way to work.Also millage to empty, MPG is reported by ECU witch 99.5 ECU don't have it same way as Immo3 ECU has.

Speedo , RPM-s, Temperature , fuel gauge will work with no problem. Even I plugged Bettle cluster in my 99.5 and all this thing will work .

You will find lot of info by reading this tread posted long time by Nihilator:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3568883

I WILL have it my way. If I have to buy an adapter, I will. However I think I can pull this off without it. I already know which adapter and where I can buy it. Prob will cost me 150 with shipping.

I love how you are saying its not possible.
People that say its not possible are the ones that make me push myself really hard to prove them wrong.
I have a perfectly good brain, Google Translator, spare clusters, and enough free time to spare. I have Winols and I have tools to read and write clusters. I think I can pull it off. :p

Also, I doubt anyone on Vortex or here has had as much experience doing these things as the forums over in Germany and other European sites where I am getting my info from. People say its not possible because its not plug and play and don't have the crazy electronic inclination I have (or madness and stubbornness??)

Edit: I have read that Vortex thread over a million times and there is a LOT of info left out.
Have you ever even played with a Tacho or ECU dump?
Why are you jumping on the gun and saying it won't work?
People in Europe got these new sport clusters working on 96 and 97 year model VAG cars.
Read up, get informed, or just silently watch my thread unless you can help me out.

Not trying to attack you or sound hostile. If this post seems that way to you, my apologies.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I WILL have it my way. If I have to buy an adapter, I will. However I think I can pull this off without it. I already know which adapter and where I can buy it. Prob will cost me 150 with shipping.

I love how you are saying its not possible.
People that say its not possible are the ones that make me push myself really hard to prove them wrong.
I have a perfectly good brain, Google Translator, spare clusters, and enough free time to spare. I have Winols and I have tools to read and write clusters. I think I can pull it off. :p

Also, I doubt anyone on Vortex or here has had as much experience doing these things as the forums over in Germany and other European sites where I am getting my info from. People say its not possible because its not plug and play and don't have the crazy electronic inclination I have (or madness and stubbornness??)

Edit: I have read that Vortex thread over a million times and there is a LOT of info left out.
Have you ever even played with a Tacho or ECU dump?
Why are you jumping on the gun and saying it won't work?
People in Europe got these new sport clusters working on 96 and 97 year model VAG cars.
Read up, get informed, or just silently watch my thread unless you can help me out.

Not trying to attack you or sound hostile. If this post seems that way to you, my apologies.
Most of the Info people getting overhere is from same German sites where you going .
It is been going on over 5 years.
But hey good luck to you.