MN Chat Thread

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Saw something interesting tonight - I stopped at the Davanni's near 50th and Highway 100 for a bite to eat, looked in the lot, and saw a couple interesting vanity plates: "BORA" and "MKV GTI". Volksport.org was having a meeting in the party room. And they have a show scheduled for June 11 at Westside VW.

somepunk22

Veteran Member
vikingrob said:
Saw something interesting tonight - I stopped at the Davanni's near 50th and Highway 100 for a bite to eat, looked in the lot, and saw a couple interesting vanity plates: "BORA" and "MKV GTI". Volksport.org was having a meeting in the party room. And they have a show scheduled for June 11 at Westside VW.
Yup. They were having a board meeting. I believe they are having another meeting this coming Saturday.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
/First post
Well after lurkering around for a few weeks I though this group would be fitting to ask:
How much trouble will I have as a mechanically DISinclined driver looking into buying a TDI Jetta wagon? The past year or so has been pretty mild. As a lifelong MN resident I know -20 and up to 104 well enough for weather. My commute and family needs would seem to suit the strengths of a TDI very well though.
Currently I'm dishing everything a 96 Mazda Protege can handle and it hasn't failed me yet and its nearly indestructable sitting at 230,000 miles and doing 100 per day freeway with a minimal of minor repairs and abusive oil change intervals at every 6000 sometimes.
But a Jetta would have such a nicer build and enjoyable daily drive on top of the rediculously good MPG over getting another asian. The safety is a plus for the wife too, but she only drives town/country and not freeway.

Any experiences with the VW dealers for expected typical wait time for a used TDI wagon to show up? I'm guessing the turnover is pretty rare, and seems even thinner for a wagon variant...

Anyways, thanks in advance, you seem like a helpfull bunch.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI'watcher said:
/First post
Well after lurkering around for a few weeks I though this group would be fitting to ask:
How much trouble will I have as a mechanically DISinclined driver looking into buying a TDI Jetta wagon? The past year or so has been pretty mild. As a lifelong MN resident I know -20 and up to 104 well enough for weather. My commute and family needs would seem to suit the strengths of a TDI very well though.
Currently I'm dishing everything a 96 Mazda Protege can handle and it hasn't failed me yet and its nearly indestructable sitting at 230,000 miles and doing 100 per day freeway with a minimal of minor repairs and abusive oil change intervals at every 6000 sometimes.
But a Jetta would have such a nicer build and enjoyable daily drive on top of the rediculously good MPG over getting another asian. The safety is a plus for the wife too, but she only drives town/country and not freeway.

Any experiences with the VW dealers for expected typical wait time for a used TDI wagon to show up? I'm guessing the turnover is pretty rare, and seems even thinner for a wagon variant...

Anyways, thanks in advance, you seem like a helpfull bunch.
On finding the vehicle, I would suggest that you look in a range of several hundred miles. I would also recommend you have one of the experts on these boards look over the car before you commit.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I love my wagon, just remember, you wouldn't want to put people in the back seat for any extended period.

From Cars . com

Description — $11,900, 2002 Jetta TDI diesel, wagon, automatic, moon roof, leather seats, heated seats and mirrors, all power, silver with black interior, excellent condition, 45 mpg, $11,900, call 605-523-2525 or 605-929-3717.
GET MORE DETAILS

Listing Date: April 21, 2006
Listing Source: Aberdeen American News
Find Area Codes for Listings from Aberdeen American News

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Spamjohnson said:
I love my wagon, just remember, you wouldn't want to put people in the back seat for any extended period.

From Cars . com

Description — $11,900, 2002 Jetta TDI diesel, wagon, automatic, moon roof, leather seats, heated seats and mirrors, all power, silver with black interior, excellent condition, 45 mpg, $11,900, call 605-523-2525 or 605-929-3717.
GET MORE DETAILS

Listing Date: April 21, 2006
Listing Source: Aberdeen American News
Find Area Codes for Listings from Aberdeen American News
Nope, just putting a couple of 'shorties' back there. We're commited to not be a minivan family. When they grow up, if their gear for activities takes more room than a wagon can hold, its time for trimming activities, not getting a bigger ride...

Thanks for the userd search spam, is that an Iowa listing? While I'd like a test drive sooner than later, the purchase is still a few months off. But that looks like a good comparison to start with. Might be able to swing an 03' or '04 depending on miles. Then the debate over PD comes up...

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
TDI'watcher said:
Welcome!

The conventional wisdom seems to be that you have to be willing to work some on a TDI or owning one doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not hugely mechanically-inclined myself and, as the years go by, I find I'm less willing to wrench something (usually on a garage floor in January) in my limited free time. I did buy a Bentley manual, though, so I could do some things if I wanted to. I think, as in most cases (homes, lawnmowers, etc.), it becomes a choice of learning to do it yourself (finding the skills, time, and tools) or spending a bit to have things done for you.

The TDI will be a non-issue AFA weather goes. I've been driving TDIs since 1999, including a time when I had to park outside. It always started, it always went. The big issues with a VW TDI in winter are that it takes a while to heat up (you can either plug it in or just lengthen trips to make sure the car gets a chance to warm up fully [what I do]) and that the car is fairly low to the ground (running over those frozen clods dropped off of other vehicles' wheelwells is an expensive form of gambling; a steel skidplate helps).
Yeah, a used 5-speed Wagon is going to take a bit of a search. You'll want to be flexible either in how long it takes to find your exact desire or in what colors/features/mileage you hope for if you want to line up something sooner. Be prepared to act quickly because that particular combination is in high demand, especially since you can't buy an A5 Wagon even if you wanted to. As vikingrob suggested, get one of the local TDI folks to check it out for you. There are some very knowledgeable people in this region and I would feel comfortable handing my keys to pretty much any of 'em. This is a good bunch.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sighting: Black A4 with BORA on the left side of the decklid and TDI on the right side. I think it was Monday or Tuesday morning of this week in Big Lake on Hwy 10.

Just in case any body sees me, I am the 2002 black A4 with a 50 mpg sticker on the back as well as a "Got Deutsch" (promoting the Twin Cities German Immersion School) sticker. Everyday I'm driving between St. Cloud and Elk River on Hwy 10.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
greengeeker said:
Sighting: Black A4 with BORA on the left side of the decklid and TDI on the right side. I think it was Monday or Tuesday morning of this week in Big Lake on Hwy 10.

Just in case any body sees me, I am the 2002 black A4 with a 50 mpg sticker on the back as well as a "Got Deutsch" (promoting the Twin Cities German Immersion School) sticker. Everyday I'm driving between St. Cloud and Elk River on Hwy 10.
Yeah, I've seen two TDIs the past 14 days. One black sedan going up 35E into DT St. Paul, and one silver sedan going south on 35 just before Northfield.

/My commute is 50 miles each way (under 60 minutes baby), I would *warm* a diesel very nicely.

//My Mazda is semi-ghetto and could use a skid plate, front bumper molding is cracked to Hades from a good hefty raccoon from Mnenominie.

I guess my question would be what dealerships won't rake you over and would be likely to have a car picked up outstate for you? I'm not opposed to getting the financing in order and then waiting 2 months. Is a 02-04 wagon with under 50,000 miles around $15/16K or am I in Candyland? Whats the range for dealer extended warrantees?

I might be waiting untill fall if it is possible gas prices fall back under $2.50 and the TDI demand doesn't call for an outrageous premium.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
VR, I'm still thinking about throwing down a mileage challange to you, when are you planning on leaving to go to Mich? I could unrace you to Madison or Chi town.

Sam

I know I'd lose, but it'd be fun.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Spamjohnson said:
VR, I'm still thinking about throwing down a mileage challange to you, when are you planning on leaving to go to Mich? I could unrace you to Madison or Chi town.

Sam

I know I'd lose, but it'd be fun.
Leaving from downtown Minneapois sometime between 11pm on Thu 5/25 and 2am Fri 5/26 (though the schedule I drew up leaves at 2:23am Fri 5/26). On a trip like this, I wouldn't buy fuel in WI or IL, so it will probably be northwestern Indiana before I fill up, but by my calculations, I can make it to Fowlerville on one tank. The stops are set forth in post #265 on the Michigan GTG thread and in PDF form here.

The closest station to my place is T & Y, located here.

Last edited:

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Hi guys, new local TDI owner. Today in fact!
I have a question for you local guys. Did any body here do a EGR bypass on a 06? Is it required.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Spam and Vikingrob,
How much work and hassle do you think I'd be in for on a 2000 TDI Jetta with 150,000+ miles? Its got some dings and is overall a bit rough even by dealer standards. But the price may let me still get the wife a car and I'd have my commuter beast to drive cheap.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
First, I would advise you to have one of the experts on this board inspect the car (I'm thinking DeafBug or Tango28). Where is this car located?

TDI'watcher said:
Hey Spam and Vikingrob,
How much work and hassle do you think I'd be in for on a 2000 TDI Jetta with 150,000+ miles? Its got some dings and is overall a bit rough even by dealer standards. But the price may let me still get the wife a car and I'd have my commuter beast to drive cheap.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
PM sent.
I'm checking it out Friday on my day off. The dealer is not aware, or it needs a ton of engine repairs, or is a salvage title. Maybe a combo platter. Body damage I'm used to. Paintjobs are cheap compared to engine repair.

Hope Carfax report is good, might need a TB regardless just to be safe. Anyone not going to be gone this weekend? ;)

Deafbug might make my speed dial if I'm lucky.

Minnesota Mike

TDI
2002 Jetta 263,000.
Hey TDI watcher, there is a tornado red '02 TDI sedan for sale in Lakeville if you are interested. I can let you know the details if you're interested. I live in Faribault too, so can call you if you want.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Minnesota Mike said:
Hey TDI watcher, there is a tornado red '02 TDI sedan for sale in Lakeville if you are interested. I can let you know the details if you're interested. I live in Faribault too, so can call you if you want.
Might have to take you up on that offer Mike. I've hit the online lots for the big dealers in the cities, Mankato and Rochester for something that catches my eye. Red isn't my first choice, but its better than blue, and if the miles are good and won't break the bank I'd at least give it a hard look. I'm not holding out for a TDI wagon unless I win powerball or something. My kids are still wee sized so don't need the space quite yet. But would please the wife a bit more if I got automatic tranny and post 2001(?) with the carseat latch systems on most manufacturer models. I can get by on just a solid workhorse to buzz me to downtown saint paul so a cheap manual sedan would work too.

If my find turns out to be a fixer-upper I'll post the ad as I'm only good for minor repair and pocketbook damage.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Deafbug and I once saw a 02 red TDI Jetta wagon in Lakeville last October. Hopefully it's not the same car, because it had a lot of hidden problems. The car had very clean Carfax Report. Also the car look very good online.

Ron

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Out of my range but a real find possibly for anyone in the market for a used Jetta wagon.
2005 auto(trip) with 27xxx miles in blue. Its in Mankato.

69squareback

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
Would anyone in the Minneapolis area be willing to hook-up their VAG-COM to my car and clear the ABS light/fault? I am more than willing drive a little ways to possibly avoid bringing the car to a shop.
Story: I replaced my 2000 Golf's struts and shocks (with the amazing Koni Reds!), and in the process, ripped out the driver's side ABS wire from the harness. I've attempted to fix it, as well as clean the speed sensors and tested them with a OHM reader (tested good, I think), but I won't know if it's remedied until the fault is cleared.
My wife and I leave for a drive to Alaska in just over a week, and would like to have this taken care of before then. If I haven't fixed it myself, then I will break down and drop it off at VW Man on Tuesday.
Thanks.

Minnesota Mike

TDI
2002 Jetta 263,000.
Anybody know where I can get an intake manifold? I've got an '02 Jetta. I think mine must be pretty clogged up. Do you think it would just be easier if I got another one and switched them out, then cleaned out the original one for next changing? Any comments welcome!!

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
VIN of that 02 Jetta wagon is WVWSP61J62W633343.

tango_28 said:
Deafbug and I once saw a 02 red TDI Jetta wagon in Lakeville last October. Hopefully it's not the same car, because it had a lot of hidden problems. The car had very clean Carfax Report. Also the car look very good online.

Ron

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
vikingrob said:
First, I would advise you to have one of the experts on this board inspect the car (I'm thinking DeafBug or Tango28). Where is this car located?
Well I talked extensively with Tango28. Talked to the lot owner multiple times and ran the Carfax. Even at a low price and salvage title, (not yet on carfax but minor rollover is) I have to pass. It was a pleasure talking to you Ron (small world eh) but my family resources for fix-up aint what is was five years ago and I'm not up for the risk and time involved.

So anyone local want a 2000 Jetta TDI manual with 165,000, reflex silver for uber cheap let me know and I'll point it out, its outside Rochester. VIN 3VWSF29M5YM145064
It has replaced (aftermarket black) side view mirrors, replaced drivers front quarterpanel and dented (multiple small/medium) roof between windshield and moonroof with some chipping/scrapes and dented passenger rear door. The door dent looks like an easy pop, the roof is well a roof, might be bondo or drilled to pop out or a combo for the handfull of dents. It also has an engine code light on. But runs good supposedly. Also needs all tires replaced.
The accident was just last month and I'm guessing the lot owner got it off a local salvage auction as he didn't do any of the work to it. So the insurance may have totaled it after they started some work on it. The lot is a mix of wrecks and high mile used and is not a dealership.
So for a salvage title its pretty light work, but the unknown and down time added the wife will kill me if she has to drive another salvage title car. So I'm out.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
minnesota mike - i would just clean it. i haven't done one yet, but the cleaning part is probably the easy part. taking it off and apart and back in is probably the part that's more of a pain in the butt. someone correct me if i'm wrong.... just clean it :)

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Squareback - I have VAG-COM in Shakopee. Would like to help, since you are willing to drive, but may have schedule issues. You have PM (soon). Who is 'VW Man'?

69squareback said:
Would anyone in the Minneapolis area be willing to hook-up their VAG-COM to my car and clear the ABS light/fault? I am more than willing drive a little ways to possibly avoid bringing the car to a shop.
Story: I replaced my 2000 Golf's struts and shocks (with the amazing Koni Reds!), and in the process, ripped out the driver's side ABS wire from the harness. I've attempted to fix it, as well as clean the speed sensors and tested them with a OHM reader (tested good, I think), but I won't know if it's remedied until the fault is cleared.
My wife and I leave for a drive to Alaska in just over a week, and would like to have this taken care of before then. If I haven't fixed it myself, then I will break down and drop it off at VW Man on Tuesday.
Thanks.