Proper Fluid for GM Power Steering?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just replaced some of the power steering fluid in my wife's 2001 Buick because it smelled burnt (sucked out the reservoir with my Pela oil extreactor, refilled, drove a bit, and sucked out and refilled again). I used Texaco Havoline Power Steering fluid (its what the auto parts store had). Bottle says "suitable for GM 9985010 (and lists Daimler/Chrysler and Ford P/S fluid numbers as well. Get this, says also use for Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26.:confused: . I thought Pentosin 11S was the only fluid for VW power steering!

The Havoline bottle says not recommended for Honda vehicles.

The Haynes I have said to use fluid that meets GM specifications. The Buick Owner's Manual says "Use GM Fluid Part number 1052884 (pint) or 1050017 (quart) or equivalent".

Is the fluid I used OK? Is it "equivalent"? Should I be concerned?

Tx.

--Nate

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just used the clear Synth. STP stuff on my sister's Grand Prix.

Does your Buick have the PS reservoir in the same idiotic spot as the Grand Prix? On the GP it's bolted to the engine under the water pump, facing the firewall. You can barely even see it looking from the top of the engine!

-Jason

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Jason:

Nope, the P/S reservoir is right on top, easy to get to. Other things on that car are not, though. Replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets were total hell (they leaked coolant, a problem with the GM 3.1 L motor up until about 2003)

I figured it out (googled on it). The GM number on the Havoline bottle is the GM P/S oil test specification. The two numbers in the Buick OM are the GM part numbers, that meet the GM oil spec. so I am OK using the Havoline P/S fluid in the Buick.

The VW spec. listed on the Havoline bottle must be for older VWs. It sure ain't equavalent to Pentosin CHS 11S I don't think! If it is, its sure cheap fluid at about $4 a quart.

--Nate

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well was it a bad move using the STP stuff in my sister's car? Since I refilled the emptied and reservoir a few times it no longer make that "power steering" sound at low speeds. :confused:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
J, the GM cars are far less sensitive to PS fluid compared to others. Hopefully it won't be an issue for her.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
I picked up a quart of the stuff DD posted. It was pretty cheap, IIRC. Nothing compared to the VW fluid ;)

Jason

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
we used to use transmission fluid.alot cheaper then p.s. fluid.