Removing a stuck injector

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I was pulling the injectors from an alh head a few days ago and one of the was just cemented in there. It didn't matter what I did that thing wouldn't even rotate 1/16 of an inch. I soaked it in blaster for a few hrs, nothing, wouldn't budge at all.

The fix was I took a mini torch, put it inbetween the the block and the injector for about a minute, within 2 minutes I had the injector out without even using a slide hammer.

Just another idea for people who have one that is hopelessly stuck.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that would work until you have the darn thing loose, I've never had to use a slide hammer on an injector so I wouldn't know if that would have been the correct application. I can definetly see it being useful when the injector is spinning a bit.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Newzboys said:
maybe I'm wrong
You are...

I had a couple that wouldn't turn at all... even after days of PB-Blaster showers... I borrowed a MetalNerd injector slide hammer from Wingnut (who also has built his own) and they came out very easily...

Yuri

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
I wrapped the threads in a bunch of shop towels and simply used plyers over the protected threads to pull and rotate them out. Not a scratch on them - didn't need to buy or make a slide hammer!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Shastapk said:
These will work on on all injectors from 1996-2003, won't they? I need to remove mine on my '96 passat with the 1Z.
Yes. 1Z, AHU & ALH. Probably lots of other Euro models as well (ASV???)

If you're only going to remove TDI injectors once in your life, then yes you probably don't need this tool. But when you can substitute 10-20-30 minutes of wiggling, prying, cursing and sweating for two or three satisfying smacks, it really helps.

Thus concludes my salesmanship of the tool. I'm not out to make a ton of money on these. I just think they're cool.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
^^^, some are stuck more than others.

Check out the puller in runonbeer's sig. If I didn't already have the metalnerd I'd buy that because it's a great reuse of parts and the price is good too.

Edit: runonbeer slipped another post in there, my arrows reference tydaddy's post.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
There has been more than one occasion that I was glad to have an injector puller on-hand. Most of the time they come out without any problems then you get the one that just is bound into place. Then there is no tool as good as a slide hammer.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So I have an injector that is way stuck

It doesn't turn.
I have used the metalnerd tool and this injector just laughs at it.
I added about 10 lbs of weight, still laughing..

I've used heat in combination, no luck.

Short of pulling the head and beating it out from the reverse.. does anybody have any other ideas?

I'm stumped.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So I have an injector that is way stuck

It doesn't turn.
I have used the metalnerd tool and this injector just laughs at it.
I added about 10 lbs of weight, still laughing..

I've used heat in combination, no luck.

Short of pulling the head and beating it out from the reverse.. does anybody have any other ideas?

I'm stumped.
My #2 injector was like that. Did you try alternating hammering down and up with the slide hammer? Keep doing that in conjunction with penetrating oil. May take a while but mine eventually showed a little movement and finally came out.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The simple solution is shake and bake. The injector will come out. You may use a puller otherwise.