Where can I buy Deoxit D5

JimBo_KW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Hi Guys. Well my CEL is back on and I suspect its the glow plug harness the dealer advised me of the last time. Before replacing I would like to try cleaning it. I went looking in Mississauga today to a few stores listed in one of the links but they never heard of it. Any ideas where I can buy some close by? Thanks

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
I don't know which home improvement type stores are available to you in Ontario, but any store which sells 'do it yourself' electrical panels (for home use) etc should have an equivalent product. It is designed for use when installing/clamping aluminum wiring [think 'from the meter'] into the main circuit breakers. It is usually a grayish paste. It prevents oxidation of the aluminum conductors where they contact the circuit breakers. Prevents overheating and fires which can occur when high amperage loads are carried.

It is usually REQUIRED by the national electrical codes for house wiring where aluminum contacts another metal and must conduct current. If you can't find a store meeting these criteria - get in touch with an electrical contractor - he may give you a little bit. You only need a very small amount (a few grams).:)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Don't use a paste as it will dry out in the harness. It is an ANTI oxidising product, not a DEoxidising one. It won't do an already oxidised harness any good.

I also don't recommend using dielectric grease. For the same reason, it will not remove the oxidation causing the problem. In fact, it will seal it in which will make it even harder to clean it properly.

Deoxit D5 is available in Mississauga at Audio Operations at 600 Orwell Street (near Cawthra & The Queensway) Unit 29. It is also available online at www.rpelectronics.com

http://www.rpelectronics.com/English/Content/Items/D5S-6.asp

JimBo_KW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Well its all done. As I don't have a vagcom (yet) will the CEL reset its self or I read that there is someting I can do with the ignition to trick it. Does it work?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately, there is no trickery to get the light to go off by itself. You need a vag-com. I'm sure there are folks in your area that have them though.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
LNXGUY said:
I am sure a local Sayal will have it...
I've looked in the past, and no. I got a contact cleaner from them in the past, but it is no substitue for Deoxit. I gotta pick up a can for myself soon.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Toronto_Vento said:
I've looked in the past, and no. I got a contact cleaner from them in the past, but it is no substitue for Deoxit. I gotta pick up a can for myself soon.
John
You mean the one at vic park and steeles....that sayal...

how about the other electrical shop by there...electronic..or electic something with the red sign...accross from the sunoco.

*edit

Forget it I found the place its called active electronics and no...neither carry DeoxIT...but something else.

Last edited:

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
i got my deoxit d5 in burlington from parts connexion, but they only carry the tiny small can, they have to special order the regular sized one, so the mississauga place nigel mentioned might be better

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Anywhere local in Ottawa to grab myself a can?

Also, would the GOLD version not be better that actually offers protection?

After putting dielectric grease in some of my connectors I am led to beleive this stuff is better.

Last edited:

reiddo1

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, black on black, 2010 Golf Sportwagon, black on black
SheeB said:
Anywhere local in Ottawa to grab myself a can?

Also, would the GOLD version not be better that actually offers protection?

After putting dielectric grease in some of my connectors I am led to beleive this stuff is better.
Brake cleaner works for me; I merely disconnect the harness from the plugs, give both the plugs (still in the engine) and the inside contact area of the harness a liberal spraying of cleaner and wait an hour or so to dry. At 227 k kms, I have the original harness with no CEL's since I did this two years or so ago.;)

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I'll be heading to Audio Operations tomorrow to grab a can. I tried a can of "Electrical Contact Cleaner" I borrowed from work that they sell at Sayal and it didn't appear to do anything.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I went to Audio Operations in Mississauga yesterday. They are out of Deoxit D5 in spray cans but they have some pump bottles. I got their last spray can of Deoxit DN5 which, according to them, is the same stuff only non-flammable. It was $30.75 if I remember correctly.

Tom|moTD'oh

TDI
2000 Golf TDI auto -- 255,000km
The Sayal on Victoria Park at Baker Taylor (between Finch and Steeles) now stocks Deoxit D5 -- apparently just in as of April 2008. The little 14g D5MS-15 for $9.99.

They have a new networking section that seems to cater to audiophiles with monster cable and such.

Tom|moTD'oh

TDI
CmdrData said:
No more stock at Sayal on Vic Park, work buddy went there on Friday saw an empty box and they won't stock it again for some reason.
Given I was there on Friday and there was a fairly full box at the time, asked a staff member about and told it was new stock -- I'm not so sure. Sayal staff may know less about their stock than we think and misinformation given. I'll trust my eyes :) .

The guy I talked to seemed pleased with it, and my impression was that it would be stocked, seemed surprised that automotive applications would particularly prize it. Since the last time I was in they seemed to have expanded (may be my memory) and a new Networking/Audiophile section established (north side behind cash/exit) -- center aisle, lower shelf, with other chemically sorts of things.

I'll look again next time I'm there which will likely be soonish but not likely for another month or two.

zhouge

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF Automatic
Toto checked the code with his vag-com for me last month and it shows the cel problem. But the light can not be turned off even with the vag-com. (I didn't remember the code number) Why is that? Is that means some other problems or I have to fix the harness or plug problem first then get the light off by the vag-com? Thanks.

Wingnut said:
Unfortunately, there is no trickery to get the light to go off by itself. You need a vag-com. I'm sure there are folks in your area that have them though.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Tom|mo, what time were you at Sayal last Friday? Were the small & big bottles stocked on the shelf next to each others? My work buddy was there after work, so we're talking about 5:30ish. He saw the small bottle for $10ea but the box where the full size bottles are is empty. I now wonder is Sayal hiding stock for some reason.:cool:

Tom|moTD'oh said:
Given I was there on Friday and there was a fairly full box at the time, asked a staff member about and told it was new stock -- I'm not so sure. Sayal staff may know less about their stock than we think and misinformation given. I'll trust my eyes :) .

The guy I talked to seemed pleased with it, and my impression was that it would be stocked, seemed surprised that automotive applications would particularly prize it. Since the last time I was in they seemed to have expanded (may be my memory) and a new Networking/Audiophile section established (north side behind cash/exit) -- center aisle, lower shelf, with other chemically sorts of things.

I'll look again next time I'm there which will likely be soonish but not likely for another month or two.

Tom|moTD'oh

TDI
CmdrData said:
Tom|mo, what time were you at Sayal last Friday? Were the small & big bottles stocked on the shelf next to each others? My work buddy was there after work, so we're talking about 5:30ish. He saw the small bottle for $10ea but the box where the full size bottles are is empty. I now wonder is Sayal hiding stock for some reason.:cool:
Well, it is the small 14g $9.99 bottle that I quoted stock for (and what I was looking for) so they may well not have the larger size (aren't there a number of variations?). At 1:15, I didn't see any but the smalls. But if your friend saw the small pocket size too, then at least confirms they are/were available someplace where you don't have to pay another 10 for shipping.

I was late getting back to work when I found it, pounced, and ran.