Have a good weekend! Oh and thanks for the crash..

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
:mad:Man! It's my first accident and I'm pissed... I was driving home Friday night going north on a back road when this woman, talking on her cell phone, going south decided to turn left 20 feet in front of me:eek:. I slammed on the brakes and swerved left but I had no room to maneuver and hit her right rear with my front right. First assesment is ruined bumper, headlight, hood, fender, radiator, intercooler, drive shaft, steering rack, wheel, tire, windshied washer fluid tank, radiator support, A pillar shifted (right front door doesn't open) and the belly pan. No one wast injured and her car did a 70 degree swing from the impact. I'll post pics once I can take some. The car was towed and I haven't seen it since. This really blows... And to say I just put a fresh coat of Zaino on it... At least no airbags deployed as I hit her at an angle and the right front corner of the Jetta took the hit.

I am now in a rental Pontiac G6 with a V6. Not a bad drive but the fuel economy sucks compared to the Jetta. It's also a boring car to drive in comparison...

<edit>

Upon review, the drive shaft seems ok and the A pillar is fine. The fender moved back blocking the door...

Here are the pics..

You can really see that Zaino shine on this one..:D

The steering rod bent causing the wheel to come out...

No apparent damage to the engine. Rad and condenser and gone though...

Here is the at-fault car...

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Sorry to hear that. I guess those Zaino protective qualities are not quite what they market them to be. Hope she survives...

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
This is what happened to me....and yes...the woman who hit me in the rear (and drove me into the truck in front of me) was more involved with her cell phone than her driving

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
So seriously, are these Golfs safe? They are smaller than what I am used to.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
MikeS_18 said:
So seriously, are these Golfs safe? They are smaller than what I am used to.
Small has no relevance to safety. It's how they're built that matters. Just look at the Smart For Two! One of the safest cars out there...

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Herm, umm... where did your fender go? Or do I want to know?....

Anyhoo, that looks like one crazy crash!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Zero10 said:
Herm, umm... where did your fender go? Or do I want to know?....Anyhoo, that looks like one crazy crash!
The fender is there....see it... jambed up under the hood on top of the engine.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Herm TDI said:
The fender is there....see it... jambed up under the hood on top of the engine.
That is a lot worse than mine. I am surprised to see how the A pillar separated...

I took pics of the car and the one I hit this morning. I'll post them tonight..

Last edited:

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Need help missing parts??

I got my car back Friday. Upon first inspection, the bodyshop did a pretty good job. Panel gaps are perfect, pain is flawless and the car drives better than before. There seems to be a few parts missing though. Can anyone look at their car and tell me if there are plastic covers under the bumper in front of the wheels? These would be located to the sides of the belly pan in front of the wheels. There are none on mine now...

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. Those are perpendicular to the ground. I am talking horizontal shields, one under the horn on the left side, the other under the intercooler on the right side. Then again, there is more than likely nothing blocking those .. Thing is that the cord to my TDI Heater was not dangling in the air under the car before like it is now. It was laying on a plastic shield of some sort behind the driver side lower bumper grill....I may be going mad over here..:eek:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Not on mine. I can poke my head under the front left and see the horn directly. Big open space in there. Can't swear to the intercooler side...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
pepper10 said:
I got my car back Friday. Upon first inspection, the bodyshop did a pretty good job. Panel gaps are perfect, paint is flawless and the car drives better than before.
The paint may be flawless, but it is more fragile than the original paint and it will be more easily damaged by gravel and other road debris.

This might be a good time to install a bra.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Only the R32 has lower covers that cover the area between the wheel well liners, front bumper, and side skirts.