Rocky Start ... or none at all!

elroustom

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello all, new here, new owner of TDi 2014 SportWagen

4 days into owning the certified car and it wouldn't start (stuck at work) had to call road-side assistance to tow it.

First it said key was too far away. Then when I put the key on the button and pushed, all sorts of lights came on and lot of beeping, and error messages, errors, brakes, air bag, service now ... and I couldn't even close the moonroof.

Did I buy a lemon? Is this something that's a part replacement, or is this indicate a system wide failure that no amount of visits to shop will fix? Any thoughts. Or could it be something as simple and stupid as a dead battery?

The 2012 Golf I traded in (217,000 miles) always started and ran like a champ. I just didn't want to risk any issues because the next two years I need a reliable car that's not going to cost outside of budget.

Just so I'm prepared for whatever the dealer is going to tell me, I'd appreciate input from this group, if any comes.

Thanks!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
When I bought my 2014 Sportwagon, the battery was dead about 8 days after I got it home. First thing I would do if I were you, get a meter and measure the battery voltage. If it is less than 11, put in a new battery.
I don't know where in MA you are, but I would stay away from Patrick VW.

elroustom

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm on the South Coast, but inland. Coastal VW in Hanover went all the way to Raynham to pick up the car from VW dealer the roadside assistance towed it to, and they got right to work on it. Seems It needed a whole new push-button starter assembly. Not just corroded contacts. Should be ready tomorrow. I'm impressed by their service. The inconvenience is just that ... I'll live. I will ask about the battery when I pick it up. Thank you.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
When I bought my 2014 Sportwagon, the battery was dead about 8 days after I got it home. First thing I would do if I were you, get a meter and measure the battery voltage. If it is less than 11, put in a new battery.
I don't know where in MA you are, but I would stay away from Patrick VW.
Mine died the morning after purchase. A 6+ year old battery that has sat for a year is a common failure.

I bought the top autozone battery and requested the dealer cover it. I also noted that the previous work order had a side note that the battery had to be jumped... They covered cost. You just bought it!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Mine died the morning after purchase. A 6+ year old battery that has sat for a year is a common failure.
I bought the top autozone battery and requested the dealer cover it. I also noted that the previous work order had a side note that the battery had to be jumped... They covered cost. You just bought it!
It was easier to just buy the battery than deal with a 4 hr round trip to the dealer, plus the time dealing with the dealer. That dealer also wanted to charge me $600 to fix an issue that I fixed for $25. Never returning there again.