• Side mount

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Front mount

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

geardriven

TDI
ahu
Ill start off by saying i know this has been documented by many, but noone ever give an explanation as to why they chose to do it that way. that is why I am starting this thread.
I would like to know why you chose the style mount you did, if you would change it if doing it in the future, the style/type mount you are using(or p/n s are great)
I am not looking for a thread that turns into an argument but debates are going to start without a doubt. nor am I looking solely for a best design. I am simply torn on how i want to do my mounts and this seems like a good way to help with my decision.
So what are you guys running,
traditional side mounts- proven, doesnt obstruct service of acc. components, slightly more work to make
front mount w/torque strut- also proven to work, easy to fabricate, takes away space in front of engine and obstructs service
The thing that worries me that is making me lean towoards side mounts is the added strain on the bellhousing/adapter area.
Yes I know, I have searched and I could probably tell you every mount used in a swap, but I have seen a couple people use the front mount setup and many using the side mounts. Is this solely because the last guy did that so you followed suite?
Enough of me talking, tell us your mount setup, why you chose it, how its working out and any clearance problems you may have ran into.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
No option for 'both'? lol. I was running side mounts for the first two years, but in the last round of repairs, I added the front mount. The issue with running just side mounts is that they are down very low on the engine. This allows the top of the engine to shake around significantly. The front pendulous mount is mounted much higher on the engine and significantly reduced vibrations on my engine. I still need to run the side mounts as well as I have no way to fit the factory dogbone in the stock location.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I'm running the side mounts on my yota project but I have a 1z motor so it doesn't have the provision for the front mount. The driver's side mount was a bit hard to design to get three bolts into the block, but it was doable. The driver's side also interfeared with the oil filter so I had to run a remote filter. I haven't really driven it (other then backing it in and out of the shop) but the vibrations seem reasonable with the Mercedes mounts that I am running. Time will tell.

Jaysin

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Pics of my 1997 1Z TDI mounts on the '84 Toyota begin on page 8 of my build thread, here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=304345&page=8

I used early '90s BMW 325i mounts. I would not use them again. I would use hydraulic/oil-filled mounts like others, including jaysinspaceman. Vibrations at idle are too much, and while uncomfortable, I worry more about vibrating things loose on the truck over time.

The thick steel and gusseted design should stand the test of time. Combined with the new, lifetime-warrantied Trailgear tranny/crossmember mount, I feel confident when doing questionable things in 4WD :D.

Frankendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
On my 1Z in my Chrysler minivan, I used 1 VW mount and 2 Chrysler mounts. The VW mount is passenger side rear and is in the stock location. It seems to be doing its thing just fine. The front center mount is a Chrysler donut and even a brand new one stretched in a short amount of time such that it bottoms out and causes significant vibration at idle. The third is center mounted (pendulum) on the transmission. I used a Chrysler mount here and it seems to be working fine.

I am looking to redesign the front mount very soon - either I'm going to fabricate something out of better material, or redesign it altogether and put in a VW TDI mount.

Thanks for starting this thread - I've been meaning to inquire for a while now too!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
2.0 ALH in a tacoma ... im utilizing the stock vw front mount modified with an extra two tabs for a total of five mounting points at the front of the block ... this stock mount is bolted solid to an "A" frame that mounts to the truck frame using dodge 318 rubber mounts (cheap and in stock ;)) and some 2" angle welded to the frame .... i chose this way of mounting due to the simplicity and the room it freed up on the sides of the motor ... vibes are very livable even though i'm running a BHW short block with balance shaft delete, and then really only noticeable at idle and when lugging ;)... overall I'm very happy with the setup

Last edited: