Washington DC to San Francisco CA

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
I'm doing a reverse fly an buy. I'm doing a drive and sell, with a fly back.

Guy who bought my Beetle offered to pay my expenses to drive the car out to him. So I'm about to embark on a 3000ish mile cross country road trip. Looks like I'll be taking route 70 for most of the trip. I have layover stops planned in Kansas city (MMM BBQ), Denver, Moab (always wanted to go there. Renting ATVs and exploring for the day with a guided tour), and Yosemite national park.

Anything you folks think of that's worth seeing along the way? I'd like to stay within an hour of the route (so no driving south to Grand Canyon).

I've done 2 cross countries before. One was via route 80, and the other via route 10. Looking forward to seeing some other parts of the country. I'd love to do route 90. But it's a bit out of the way, and don't want to risk driving that far north in the winter with a beetle on all seasons.

Leaving this Friday 3/10. Pics will be up nightly.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Nice! Sounds like a win-win to me. Looking forward to the pics!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
How are you getting to California from Moab area?

I-70>US-6>I-15>I-80? I-70>US-50? I-70>US-50>Ely, NV>US-6? I-70>I-15?

Remember the eastern entrance to Yosemite is closed until the snow melts.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
Moab (where I am now, and is AWESOME by the way) to Yosemite is going to be 15 through Las Vegas. I would have preferred to go through Ely and use 50 over. But having the East side entrances kills that idea.

I meant to get pics up. But I think I'm going to wait and post them all at once. I have a bunch to sort through.

So far it's been a great trip. The car did NOT like the altitude around Denver. Especially crossing the mountains where it was 12k+ feet. Car went into limp mode a few times. Once we came down everything was fine.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
And now we're all expecting pics. Although we forgive you for not posting any. I haven't really taken any pics on my trip (TX to ME and back), although I should be taking some.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
And now we're all expecting pics. Although we forgive you for not posting any. I haven't really taken any pics on my trip (TX to ME and back), although I should be taking some.
My bad. Photobucket is blocked at work. So here is a link to my google drive with the shared pics.

It was a great trip. First half, through the east coast, was pretty boring. So we beelined it to Kansas City the first day. Then to Denver the second. From Denver on we took our time.

Drivers side window regulator broke while we were driving to the entrance of Yosemite. So some roadside temp rigging was done. It held until we got to San Francisco.

Yosemite was nice, but honestly, I think Moab was way cooler.I'll definitely be going back with off road toys.

Lots of pics:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0LznjndsgnaQllkRHAxRHIwbDQ?usp=sharing