2009 Jetta Fault Code

bacampbe

TDI
2009 Jetta
I'm getting a P13D4 fault code from the scanner at the local auto zone.

Best I can tell it's ignition system/emissions related

[SIZE=-1]Pxxxx for powertrain

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]P1xxx Manufacturer codes for additional emission system function; not required but reported to the government

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Px3xx ignition system[/SIZE]

Does anyone have a link to find this code, I've googled it and found nothing but dead links.

bacampbe

TDI
2009 Jetta
Got to the dealer today and got the codes read, it returned three from memory.

P13D4 Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 electrical malfunction static

P13D6 Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 implausible signal intermittent

P13D6 Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 implausible signal static

Looks like it's plug related, went ahead and ordered one to replace it if the light comes back on. After he reset the codes they did not come back on during the ride home.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Should I just shelve the plug until it reoccurs or be safe and replace it when I get the part?

What could cause this other than a bad sensor, would a quick start without letting the light go off first possibly cause this?

Is there an online registry somewhere that would benefit from this code information so others could find it easily?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Got to the dealer today and got the codes read, it returned three from memory.

P13D4 Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 electrical malfunction static

P13D6 Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 implausible signal intermittent

P13D6 Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 implausible signal static

Looks like it's plug related, went ahead and ordered one to replace it if the light comes back on. After he reset the codes they did not come back on during the ride home.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Should I just shelve the plug until it reoccurs or be safe and replace it when I get the part?

What could cause this other than a bad sensor, would a quick start without letting the light go off first possibly cause this?

Is there an online registry somewhere that would benefit from this code information so others could find it easily?

The only thing on my paper work for a bad glow plug/sensor was: 05078 PRESSURE SENSOR #3 IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL. PERFORMED GF. NOTIFIED TECH LINE. TOLD TO MOVE #3 TO #1,ROAD TESTED. iF FAULT RETURNS TO #3 REPLACE ENGINE MAIN HARNESS, IF RETURNS TO #1 REPLACE GLOW.

Sorry, I can't answer any of your other questions.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only thing on my paper work for a bad glow plug/sensor was: 05078 PRESSURE SENSOR #3 IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL. PERFORMED GF. NOTIFIED TECH LINE. TOLD TO MOVE #3 TO #1,ROAD TESTED. iF FAULT RETURNS TO #3 REPLACE ENGINE MAIN HARNESS, IF RETURNS TO #1 REPLACE GLOW.
That actually sounds like a really good idea. A simple way to tell if it is the glow plug/sensor or the wiring harness. Clear the code, swap the glow plugs and see if the new fault moves. Simple, but effective.

Have Fun!

Don

khafra

TDI
MkVI Golf
Interesting. I just got the same signals, and it also turned out to be a bad glow plug #3, which they moved to #1 to diagnose. I wonder if there's a systemic problem with the #3 glow plug socket or something.

benettlr

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
P13D6 and P13D4 Codes

Two error codes on a my wife's 2009 TDI Sportwagen (codes read and then cleared using VCDS from Ross-Tech):

(1) Cylinder 3 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D6 - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

(2) Cylinder 3 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D4 - 000 - Short to Plus - MIL ON

Ordered new glow-plug/pressure-sensor from www.idparts.com. Note that this pressure sensing glow plug requires a 12mm socket. The torque to loosen the old glow plug felt quite low (seems appropriate for the formed metal hex of the glow plug).

Used a small extension tube plugged into the end of a shop-vac hose to suck out dust/dirt from around the glow-plug hole. Applied a tiny amount of anti-seize to the threads of the new glow-plug before installing.

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
09' Black Jetta TDI manny tranny, tan pleather, wd6050 hd
resolved?

Did that resolve the issue? I am getting the p13d4 and p13d6 codes coming up. I have cleared them a couple times with the torque app and OBD bluetooth deal. Looks like I need to fix it.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
Did that resolve the issue? I am getting the p13d4 and p13d6 codes coming up. I have cleared them a couple times with the torque app and OBD bluetooth deal. Looks like I need to fix it.
I'm getting these 2 codes. P13D7, P13D9
Any possibility they are covered by warranty? 46,000 miles and 4.5 years old.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
engine light

Ok. Here's the deal. The dealership cleared the codes, and tested the 4th glow plug pressure sensor. Everything was working fine. The engine light didn't come back on. They said that if it comes back, they will replace that pressure sensor.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
engine light back on

Update: My engine light is back on. I have a appointment to have the glow plug #4 pressure sensor replaced.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
Final: Glowplug #4 pressure sensor was replaced on Tuesday. Light is still off.

benettlr

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
Yes, that did resolve it. Now over 10 months and error has not appeared again. Two things I did not point out in original post:
1) If the warning light is on (steady glow) for a bad pressure sensor, the computer apparently ignores the bad glow plug pressure sensor and uses the average pressure value of the other three cylinders. It is ok to drive that way until practical to repair (of course, if the warning light is flashing it is not ok to drive).
2) According to the Bentley manual the glow plug tip actually moves back into the housing (it displaces axially when under pressure).

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I had the same problem with #2 glow plug same code but for #2 glow plug.

Dealer swapped #2 and #3 glow plugs cleared the code and gave me the same blurb as your.

CEI came back two weeks later same code but for #3 glow plug. Dealer ended up replacing the glow plug under extended warranty...

mimmik

TDI
2010 manual JSW
I am getting the P13D7 & P13D9 codes with the CEL for my 2010 manual JSW, no symptoms as far as I can tell. Paulinski and bockegg, did either of you do or say anything in particular to get the repair done for free by the dealer? My 3yr warranty ran out in Feb (and I already spent $140 about a month ago to replace a broken wire related to the glow plug). Would appreciate any advice on how to not get nickeled and dimed by them!

mimmik

TDI
2010 manual JSW
I was wondering that myself, but don't know enough about engines to make a connection between the two. I'm using my phone to post this & can't figure out an easy way to put in a link to my earlier posts about my first CEL/glow plug wiring prob, but you could search for my login to find it.

Theoretically, should this stuff be covered by the powertrain warranty, or not necessarily?

Ps DPM - I LOVE N Ireland!

rshelton

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI DSG, '09 Mercedes ML320 Bluetec
Sorry to be reviving an old post here, I'm getting the P13D4 & P13D6 codes. Is there a way to tell from the codes which plug/sensor is the problem?

Thanks for the help

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry to be reviving an old post here, I'm getting the P13D4 & P13D6 codes. Is there a way to tell from the codes which plug/sensor is the problem?
Look at post #2 above. It says that P13D4 & P13D6 are both related to glow plug (pressure sensor) on cylinder #3.

Have Fun!

Don

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
yep, here we 'glow' again...reviving old post, two years on...come on VW, buy back my car, already!
these two codes, P13D4 & P13D6 are what I am now maligned with.

Last edited:

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
yep, here we 'glow' again...reviving old post, two years on...come on VW, buy back my car, already!
these two codes, P13D4 & P13D6 are what I am now maligned with.
I just had this same issue pop up on my '10 Sportwagen yesterday. 101k miles on the clock. :(

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I just had this same issue pop up on my '10 Sportwagen yesterday. 101k miles on the clock. :(
do you have any way of reading/clearing the codes? touch wood as I type this. I read the codes with Ross-Tech cable and software, cleared them, and so far (touch wood) they did not come back. I know it's a matter of time before they do again, but I really do not want to put any more money into this car if VW is going to buy it back. (it's the pressure sensor).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it's been mentioned before if one plug goes south, it'll read the other three and then average for the bad plug and not affect drivability, and may limp to November if you are a betting person and don't want to spend the 100-140 or so on the part.

Now if you have 2 go south on you then it may be a different story.