Cold Air Intakes

nff405599

TDI
2010 Jetta
I am new and have been reading the K&M discussions. My question is - is there any intake filter system that will improve fuel mileage?
Thanks,
Butch

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I am new and have been reading the K&M discussions. My question is - is there any intake filter system that will improve fuel mileage?
Thanks,
Butch
Simple answer NO. There is nothing restricting or wrong with the stock filter and intake box. there is no aftermarket intake or filter that will increase the fuel economy of your car. K&M is a joke and if you think not well, waste your money on their product and find out the only thing that happened was to make the money in your wallet go faster.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
short answer, no. the best fuel econ is with a clean stock air box that the ecu expects and making sure that the MAF stays clean. Check the sticky on cold air intakes please.
any aftermarket air intake other than a Swiss cheese mod on the stock airbox and a cat air filter check is a waste of money and is hurting your engine and you will suffer power loss and bad fuel econ and trash parts like the MAF, engine bearings ect.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
for what its worth, the stock air box can handle 250hp no problem

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Not sure if the MK5's and 6's have snow screens upstream of the airbox but my Beetle had one mounted sort of inside the front portion of the drivers fender. It was hit and during the repairs we discovered that it was crushed restricting airflow so I took it out and made sure the air inlet is as high as possible.

I would check to see if the screen is plugged with crap and bugs. No need to improve beyond cleaning and making sure the filter is clean and clear.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
On a related note, people talked about using a R32 intake snorkle with the stock filter housing, but they appear to be impossible to get now.

Is there any equivalent option if you're pushing performance and seeing intake restriction coming into the filter box?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I was looking at HPA's website and they have some VR6 forced induction kits with a K&N cone. They took out the drivers side headlamp and ran the K&N cone just behind the opening. I guess the added air pressure helps when you are going fast!

This might generate a ticket or a vehicle inspection if used on the street!

Maybe a home made collector could be rigged up with piping to get to the airbox!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thanks,
Butch
I was looking at HPA's website and they have some VR6 forced induction kits with a K&N cone. They took out the drivers side headlamp and ran the K&N cone just behind the opening. I guess the added air pressure helps when you are going fast!
Maybe a home made collector could be rigged up with piping to get to the airbox!
Will that Rube Goldberg set up improve fuel economy.? No matter what you do unless you have a really big turbo it will never be starved of air pressure.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

Sounds a little like the Dodge Demon CAI. A tdi with similar arrangement probably wouldn't be banned by the NHRA though :D .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Didn't you know? The Dodge Demon is all about fuel economy! :D

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
I was witness to a stock air intake test at a tuning shop, and the stock intake is only %5 inefficient.....and the tuner was pretty impressed as it was the first Vw tdi he had done.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
CAI can improve throttle response and sound but not mpg.
Can you show proof of improved throttle response? What do you consider improved sound? more noise? I like a nice quiet car with good mpg and would not spend a dime to make it have your so-called improved sound. :p

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I know, but potentially banned by the NHRA just doesn't have the same ring to it :). The ram air headlights are pretty cool(hellcat has them too), you have to admit.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I am pretty excited about the ram air systems that have an electric fan in them.

Sort of like a pre-turbo turbine! Could get up to 10 psi pre-turbo at a stand still. Down side would be the need to run a second battery and those wimpy hoses and clamps would need to be changed out to support the increased pressure.

I wonder what the MAF would think about that! And the MAP sensor. I wonder if we could throttle down the VNT vanes and still get the same boost in the end!

Look out sub 10 seconds! Here we come soot and all!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
My old ALH has a new Garret and it has a sweet sounding whistle that pops up after idling for a minute or two. Goes away when you get moving (or I am going deaf). My 2014 had a nice subtle turbo whistle, and you could hear it spool up in parking lots and low speed acceleration when wind/traffic noise wasn't too loud. It sounded cool.

My 2015 turbo is silent. I don't think turbo sound qualifies as noise, and wish I could hear it.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Yeah, I know, but potentially banned by the NHRA just doesn't have the same ring to it :). The ram air headlights are pretty cool(hellcat has them too), you have to admit.
yeah they are pretty cool for sure.. I'm curious to see how many people get tossed from Island dragway this summer for running 9's without a roll bar.. I feel like most Demon owners aren't going to be blasting out 9's without some practice.. (your original reply came through in my email lmao)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am pretty excited about the ram air systems that have an electric fan in them.

Sort of like a pre-turbo turbine! Could get up to 10 psi pre-turbo at a stand still. Down side would be the need to run a second battery and those wimpy hoses and clamps would need to be changed out to support the increased pressure.

I wonder what the MAF would think about that! And the MAP sensor. I wonder if we could throttle down the VNT vanes and still get the same boost in the end!

Look out sub 10 seconds! Here we come soot and all!
LINK PLEASE, im dying to know what this new magic vodoo is!

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yep, plenty of articles debunking the intake electric fans.

If you really want an electric supercharger, they do exist, but they use what look like a trio of starter motors, and a HUGE battery bank to feed them, for ~12 seconds.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0406tur-knight-turbo-electric-supercharger/

The little ones with little computer cooling fans in them? not a chance in the world of even flowing the air required for an engine, much less pushing positive pressure to gain performance.
Assuming that they could push that much pressure, then you're looking at the electrical-mechanical efficiencies
The typical brushless DC motor isn't all that great, so you're loosing power with an alternator charging the battery, and then loosing a little more taking the power from the battery and using it to run a motor.

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/fo...k/12669-ebay-electric-superchargers-the-truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturbo.aspx

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/electric-superchargers-debunked/

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-difference-between-an-electric-turbocharger-1795017793

Happy reading!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
short answer, no. the best fuel econ is with a clean stock air box that the ecu expects and making sure that the MAF stays clean. Check the sticky on cold air intakes please.
any aftermarket air intake other than a Swiss cheese mod on the stock airbox and a cat air filter check is a waste of money and is hurting your engine and you will suffer power loss and bad fuel econ and trash parts like the MAF, engine bearings ect.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373
I'd think the Swiss cheese mod would allow hot engine compartment air in instead of cooler air from the stock location.