Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
D2 at 3 Berkeley CA Chevron stations range from $2.99-3.05
RUG at the same 3 stations range from $3.05-3.10

Up about .10-.15 over the last month, but the RUG seems to be going up at the same rate.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Citgo in Fox Lake along Hwy 12 was still at $2.89 this afternoon. Regular gas was $2.94 at the same station. Diesel at the BP station a half mile from my house is $2.99, which is the same as midgrade gas.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
lovemybug said:
Citgo in Fox Lake along Hwy 12 was still at $2.89 this afternoon. Regular gas was $2.94 at the same station. Diesel at the BP station a half mile from my house is $2.99, which is the same as midgrade gas.
Around north Mississippi today, diesel was anywhere from $2.679 (Murphy USA, Batesville) to $2.959 (Sid's, Hernando) and everywhere in-between. RUG hovering around $2.699 everywhere, with a few higher prices scattered about.

In the Memphis area, I saw $2.699 (Murphy USA, Cordova) up to $2.97 (Love's, 78 Corridor). Gas is hovering around $2.699 in the metro.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
$2.95 to $3.39 for diesel in my area. One Chevron is still holding out at $2.89 though. Not seeing any relief at the pumps or any sign prices will fall in the near future.

adrienne

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Paid $3.30 at a Chevron in a central Marin County "we don't care what we pay" location today. I know I could have gotten about .10 cheaper if I'd driven to somewhere less convenient, but that fuel light was on and I knew I had less than a gallon left in the tank. Wasn't worth saving $1.42 =]

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
$2.86 & $2.87 at two local east Palm Beach County stations.

Not too bad as that's only a few cents more than RUG.

Still only really half way through the Dealer-supplied full-tank.
Guess I have to drive mo' to get to that 1st fill-up.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I just filled in Long Beach, CA. There were two stations across the street from each other. A Chevron with 3.16/galon and a 76 with 2.98/galon. I went with the Chevron even though it was more expensive. The 76 pump did not have an ULSD sticker even though I know that all CA diesel is ULSD. I just like to play it safe. Generally speaking, I have noticed that the Chevron diesel is about 10-15 c/galon more expensive than the 76 diesel here in CA.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Down a few cents from last week. It had been $2.859 for several weeks, then this morning the local stations were $2.819 and $2.829. Still no trend, however; WTI crude is still stuck in the $80-83 range.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I haven't checked today, but the last few days I noticed that gas was down to about the $2.83 level, while diesel was still in the $2.93-2.99 range, with some stations even as high as $3.05 for diesel.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
nj1266 said:
I just filled in Long Beach, CA. There were two stations across the street from each other. A Chevron with 3.16/galon and a 76 with 2.98/galon. I went with the Chevron even though it was more expensive. The 76 pump did not have an ULSD sticker even though I know that all CA diesel is ULSD. I just like to play it safe. Generally speaking, I have noticed that the Chevron diesel is about 10-15 c/galon more expensive than the 76 diesel here in CA.
That sounds about right. In Costa Mesa the stations I usually frequent the 76 is $2.97 (Cash) and the Chevron a couple blocks up the street is $3.19. Though in competitive areas Chevron is as much if not lower than 76.. so it is about even I suppose.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
boutmuet said:
That sounds about right. In Costa Mesa the stations I usually frequent the 76 is $2.97 (Cash) and the Chevron a couple blocks up the street is $3.19. Though in competitive areas Chevron is as much if not lower than 76.. so it is about even I suppose.
Do you only use Chevron diesel? Have you used 76 or Shell?

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
nj1266 said:
Do you only use Chevron diesel? Have you used 76 or Shell?
I've used them all - ARCO, Mobil, Flying J, Shell, 76, Valero, Generics, Chevron etc.. I usually switch off between Chevron and 76 most the time because those have been found to have high cetane ratings and its not BS those brands are the ones I usually get the best mileage from. I don't use Shell too often however because most stations charge an arm and a leg for diesel.

I am up in Long Beach quite often because I go to CSULB but haven't filled up at in that area.. though I know the Chevron on Atlantic by the airport usually has pretty good prices there are a few 76 and Chevrons on the coast highway too also that carry diesel. Unfortunately there are not very many 76's and Chevrons in LB that carry diesel.

If your interested on my fuelly page I log the mileage I get from each station. I've been doing that since I've got the car.

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
309.9 At Sunoco in Big old Potsdam NY, I actually saw a Sunoco tanker dumping the fuel in the tank a couple days earlier but decided to wait untill after it settled a bit. Thats the only brand marked tanker Ive seen around here, the others Ive noticed are just haulers with small local convienience store name or the hauling company on the tanker.
Other prices:
Velaro, 3.15.9
Local One-Off convineance store,3.22.9
Mobil, 3.24.9 ( I think Mobil is delvered in an actual Mobil branded tanker also)
Citgo(IIR) 3.30.9 (Pump jockey attended)
( They should get ride of the .9 numbers IMO)

Pinoy TDI

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
Lucky You.

boutmuet said:
Fill a few minutes ago at ARCO in Costa Mesa, CA for 2.95$. Most prices are around 3.03 to 3.29
:)

Here in the Temecula area, the lowest Arco station is in Lake 'Smellsomemore' at $2.999 which is
ten cents less than most other stations including Pearsons in San Diego yesterday.

BTW, Pearsons has B20 at that same price, $3.099! :p

:D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Rt 1 Portsmouth, B5 is going for 2.88, dropped 2 cents since last week!

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Pinoy TDI said:

Here in the Temecula area, the lowest Arco station is in Lake 'Smellsomemore' at $2.999 which is
ten cents less than most other stations including Pearsons in San Diego yesterday.

BTW, Pearsons has B20 at that same price, $3.099! :p

I've been lucky a few stations in Orange County have been below 3$. One Chevron on Harbor is actually still 2.89!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
On Wednesday, the May contract for West Texas Intermediate crude oil broke out of the trading range when it surged past $83.40/barrel. On Thursday it traded above $85.00. Back on January 11th it traded up to $85.62, and back on Oct 22-23 the contracts traded nearly that high.

A failure to make new highs in the next week or two would make a triple-top and would be bearish for oil prices. But it looks like there is a lot of momentum for higher prices -- Asian economies are humming along, Europe is doing okay, and it looks like the US economy is finally starting to grow though not strongly.

Demand for oil is rising, therefore. The big question hanging over the market is, what will happen with the US dollar, which has been strengthening since early December.

In the products markets, RBOB gasoline closed about 6 above the middle of its recent trading range, heating oil about 10 cents higher. So, unfortunately, the spread which was about 17 cents has now narrowed to only 11 cents. This means, at the pump diesel will probably rise a few cents relative to gasoline.

Pinoy TDI

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
Here We Go Again

Should have know when I saw your post, and yesterday we saw the Circle K go up
by 2 cents, and then this morning, the local Arco stations just went up six cents. :(

Is it because of the Holiday weekend or because the price of crude is being manipulated or both? :confused:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pinoy, we'll know next week whether the price jump on the futures market was due to greater volatility because of light trading before the holiday -- if half the traders were taking a long weekend. If so, then there could be massive profit-taking early next week, with prices dropping back toward $80 or even lower.

Individual stations, especially along travel routes, sometimes raise prices before holiday weekends. But that's a totally different phenomenon than the price fluctuations for crude oil in Cushing, Oklahoma, or for gasoline and heating oil cargoes delivered to New York Harbor.

For another indicator, look at the chart for ICE gasoil futures delivered to Rotterdam. The close for May 2010 was the highest in 12 months.
https://www.theice.com/productguide/ProductDetails.shtml?specId=909

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
local chevron - 2.99
local texaco - 2.83

both are at Ga ave and I-495.

Not too local chevron - 3.29 (i never fill up there because I do not know why they are so much higher all the time)

Peter

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
See if prices jump now because of the refinery explosion in Washington.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
El Dobro said:
See if prices jump now because of the refinery explosion in Washington.
Maybe in the PNW, but the loss of 120,000 barrels/day refining capacity will not affect supplies elsewehere. There is quite a lot of spare capacity currently.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Most places around here: Gas- $2.89; Diesel $2.99. There's one place that sells E85, and their posted price is $2.09. I wonder if they're trying to empty the tank so they can get in a new batch.