High Mileage 2011-2012/HPFP??

XCR583

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Ok...I know you guys are probably sick of us newbies asking all the questions but I am going to ask anyhow. I am looking at purchasing a new 2012 Jetta TDI w/ 6 speed manual. Ive been doing research on here and using the search function. What I am wondering is if there are any high mileage 2011-2012s that have not had issues? Any higher mileage 2011-2012 using an additive and not had issues? This is the only thing thats holding me back from buying a new TDI right now. I traditionally keep my car 10 years and could have upwards of 200,000 miles on it when I go to sell it. I understand right now its a small percent having isssues but how many have some miles on them? Will the failure rate go up as more get miles on them? I sent an email to VW to see what their response it but havent heard back from them yet. Sorry to beat a dead horse for most of you.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Geico insurance w/ mechanical break down coverage seems like a good way to go for the first 100k. At that point enough evidence should be available on whether it's a long term keeper or not.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Not too much data out there on the 2011s and even less on the 2012s. The % of failures does seem to be going down over the year models but not sure how much of that is attributed to the lower overall miles or the improvements made in the pump design. At a minimum you have 3/36K to figure things out. I took the change on the 2012 and couldn't be happier.

XCR583

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Not too much data out there on the 2011s and even less on the 2012s. The % of failures does seem to be going down over the year models but not sure how much of that is attributed to the lower overall miles or the improvements made in the pump design. At a minimum you have 3/36K to figure things out. I took the change on the 2012 and couldn't be happier.
So have they been working on the pump design? Has it been improved over the years?

HammerTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
I emailed VW today to ask about the HPFP on 2012 models. The advocate I spoke with says that VW is extending the coverage on this part under the powertrain portion of the warranty. This means the HPFP is covered for 5/60 instead of 3/36.

He stated he was confident it applies on 2009-2011 model year vehicles. He is checking on the 2012s. He stated he would email me with conformation tomorrow on weather my actual VIN has the HPFP covered to 5/60. I will post the email I receive from VW as soon as I get it.

As far as a new one, an auto trader search reveals several 2009 examples with well over 100K on them. That has the CR setup that is used in the 2012s as well. The highest mile 2011 I have seen on line has 60k on it.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
To answer your question, yes they have had a few pump redesigns (3 or 4 I think). There is a very good thread about the HPFP failures if you've got a night you want to kill. Read through and you'll see graphs of the failures based on mileage as well as some interesting information about fuel contamination.

The long and short of it is we don't know if it is the pump design, fuel contamination, poor fuel lubricity or a combination of everything that causes them to fail. Again check out the thread in the news section so this one doesn't become a duplicate discussion.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
42K miles - zero issues. I do use Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst every fill up, though, and I "over-dose" at 4 ounces per fill up just to be safe. (Should only require 2 ounces.)

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
42K Miles, no problems. I did the 40K service myself, no metal flakes in the fuel filter. I ran a scan on my VCDS & everything looks good.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm running OptiLube XPD.

Last edited:

XCR583

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Emailed VW the other night. Here is my question and there response.

The Topic: Product Information
The Name: Greg
The Email:
The Comment: Looking at purchasing a 2012 Jetta TDI and have done some research. Keep reading about HPFP failure. This has me nervous about buying the car. What is VW doing about this? Any information you can provide on this? I keep reading about VERY expensive repairs. Thanks

Dear Greg:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen Information Center. We appreciate your interest in the clean-diesel TDI Passat!

Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with 2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Volkswagen has informed NHTSA that it does not believe the complaints reflect a safety defect in the fuel pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures.

In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi will continue to work with customers who have experienced fuel system issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine. Volkswagen will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other parties as needed. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate fully with NHTSA's investigation.

Please know we want you to be confident in your Volkswagen purchase. We will stand behind you and your Passat with both our warranties and our Customer Service staff. In an effort to alleviate our customers' apprehension with perceived concerns regarding the high pressure fuel pump, we have added this component to the list of covered components under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

If you have any additional concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800-DRIVE VW. Advocates are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 6:00PM, local time.

I'd love to see you motoring with us in a new Passat soon! I hope you'll visit your local VW dealer to test drive one. I'm certain it'll be love at first drive.

Thanks for visiting VW.com. Have a great day!

Emily
Volktalk

XCR583

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I did go into the dealer this morning and talked to the salesman and didnt know a whole lot about it but did take me back and talk to one of the mechanics. Long storey short, mechanic said run good fuel and said no additives. I think I am going to give one a try. Hopefully I dont regret it.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
My 2009 car has 117,000 km with no issues except for one replaced rear wheel bearing which may be the result of the dust from gravel roads. The car itself looks and runs as good a new only missing the new car smell.

Skatch_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Confortline, Gun Metal Grey,Tech Package and DSG, Previous was 2012 Platinum Grey Jetta 6MT, 138500km
God to have confirmation from VW that they have added the HPFP to the 5 year powertrain warranty.

Thanks for posting this XCR583. Enjoy your VW.

Cosmos

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
2012 HPFP failure

2012 sportwagon, purchased 10/11, failed HPFP at 10K miles. Glow plug light flashing, won't go faster than 40 mph. Initial repair was fuel pressure sensor. Next day, glow plug light and check engine light on. After a week at the dealership, HPFP was replaced. BUMMER

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
38K on my 11 golf, no problems as of yet. No additive's. No metal on my first filter at 20K, I'll be looking for metal once I do it at 40K, keeping fingers crossed.

Pmuller585

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
2011 bought 6/2011, now with 52,200. Other than having entire fuel system (tank to injectors) at 10k miles I've had no issues. Apparently one of the fuel pumps failed and threw shards of metal through the system. VW gave me a 100k miles warranty on the fuel system for my troubles. I'm aiming for 4yrs 250k miles.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Pmuller585 said:
Other than having entire fuel system (tank to injectors) at 10k miles I've had no issues. Apparently one of the fuel pumps failed and threw shards of metal through the system.
...no big deal... I'm glad to hear that VW covered it though.

OP, there are plenty of 2009 and 2010 model year owners (same engine but with more flaws that weren't figured out yet) with 100,000-200,000 miles on the clock and no problems.

Mochaboy

TDI
2012 Jetta Manual
2012 - Bought 11/2011. 11k miles and no issues here - on track to do about 25k a year. Hoping to keep it till 200k.

At my first complimentary 10k checkup, I was informed the dealer "found a recall" and covered that work under the car's warranty. Never got a clarification on what that was, but haven't had any issues.

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
My car for the 2nd time didnt respond well when I stepped on the gas pedal, in other words if I can explain properly, it was struggling and almost shutting off.
My question is if its a sign of HPFP failure?
My car has less than 14 000kms :s

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
My car for the 2nd time didnt respond well when I stepped on the gas pedal, in other words if I can explain properly, it was struggling and almost shutting off.
My question is if its a sign of HPFP failure?
My car has less than 14 000kms :s
nope sounds like water in the intercooler hose....fuel pump will just go not mess up then keep working

Graveyca

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI comfortline
My neighbor and I bought our 2011 jetta's 1 week apart in December of 2010

I have 32000km, he had 170000km (yep he had that much in 1.5 years). He hadn't had a single issue till some twat t boned him and wrote off the car.

It a good car!

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
Is there anything that I can do at home to avoid it?
Or only dealer can solve it? (Hate if I have to leave the car for the day)
Thanks guys