CBEA or CJAA?

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
This may have been asked before, but is there any difference in the CBEA and CJAA engines? Which is in our 2010 JSW (U.S.)? Thank you.

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Coupe and 2012 JSW
I'm sure there is a difference, if not, why would they have bothered with different engine codes.

Anyway, my local dealer told me that my 2010 Golf coupe (built in Germany) has the CJAA engine, but they had to look it up on the computer system using the VIN#. He also gave me the build date, Trans Code, Sales Model and Color Codes. Perhaps someone in your dealer's service department can do the same for you.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
AlcoC420 said:
This may have been asked before, but is there any difference in the CBEA and CJAA engines? Which is in our 2010 JSW (U.S.)? Thank you.
I have the service manual and the two engines are treated together and no differences between them are shown or mentioned. I agree that there must be some differences, but they are obviously pretty minor. From what I can tell the biggest difference between them is probably in their ECU programming. The '09s can be "flashed" through the OBDII port whereas the 2010 ECUs have built-in encryption which makes in-the-car flashing impossible (at least so far). I have heard of no other differences. Different ECU programming could also mean some minor differences in engine control such as fueling and emissions system timing (who knows?).

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Some differences listed in various threads

CJAA 6MT has higher gearing than the CBEA, DSG doens't seem to have any change.
Some CJAAs have a different fuel filter than the CBEA.
Many CJAA owners have reported needing 4.5L for an oil change (My self noted as well).
ECU 17 VS 16 if I'm correct

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that first pop in my head

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I suspect an engine identifier change to coincide with other '10 VW engines. That's just a speculation though and I too am curious why the change.

740GLE, both the '09 and '10 U.S. TDIs have EDC17.

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I thought I read somewhere that the exhaust emissions setup was slightly different, with the CJAA cars having a more easily replaced NOx catalyst or DPF.

It's a bit fuzzy, JSWTDI09 could you check your manual?

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Found it! Post #3 from the following thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=272370

jcrews said:
Here's a little extra information to reinforce:
CJAA 2010 parts (Auburn prices):
1K0254706LX filter/downpipe $865
1K0254401TX catalyst $1037 (looks like a NOx for the price)
1K0254401RX catalyst $865 (new part is $475 :confused:)

If you look at the 2009 CBEA the filter and NOx are fused whereas the new system has the two broken up, which is brilliant.

CBEA 2009 parts:
1K0254705G particulate filter/catalyst $2686
1K0254401N catalyst $475
Edit: Hmm, I wonder how the change to separate DPF & catalyst affects the DPF's coverage under the 8/80 emissions warranty.
From VW's official response this thread it looks like the 8/80 warranty covers "...Engine Control Module, On-Board Diagnostics II, and Catalytic Converter..." and only covers the DPF on a CBEA because it's integrated into the catalytic converter.

Boo VW if the change effectively shortens the DPF warranty. At least the parts are cheaper.

Last edited:

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
gpshumway said:
I thought I read somewhere that the exhaust emissions setup was slightly different, with the CJAA cars having a more easily replaced NOx catalyst or DPF.

It's a bit fuzzy, JSWTDI09 could you check your manual?

i heard this too. they separated one of the cats from the DPF

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Pelican18TQA4 said:
740GLE, both the '09 and '10 U.S. TDIs have EDC17.
then is it just a new encryption on the 2010's that prevent the tuners from offering a chip? I thought the reason no 2010's have been chipped by main stream tuners was because of the new encryption of the ECU 17. I could be wrong, as many times I am.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
740GLE said:
then is it just a new encryption on the 2010's that prevent the tuners from offering a chip? I thought the reason no 2010's have been chipped by main stream tuners was because of the new encryption of the ECU 17. I could be wrong, as many times I am.
The way I understand it, 2010s can be chipped - you just can't do it through the OBDII port. You must do it on a bench. Therefore with a 2010, you must send your ECU to the tuner, they modify it and send it back to you. F1 Tuning and this company will both tune 2010 TDIs, but you have to ship them your ECU.

http://www.stratmosphere.com/oct_vw.htm

Have Fun!

Don

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
gpshumway said:
Found it! Post #3 from the following thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=272370

Edit: Hmm, I wonder how the change to separate DPF & catalyst affects the DPF's coverage under the 8/80 emissions warranty.
From VW's official response this thread it looks like the 8/80 warranty covers "...Engine Control Module, On-Board Diagnostics II, and Catalytic Converter..." and only covers the DPF on a CBEA because it's integrated into the catalytic converter.

Boo VW if the change effectively shortens the DPF warranty. At least the parts are cheaper.
Post #3 is not a definitive answer to the coverage of the DFP as the Federal Emissions Warranty covers emissions stuff for either 2 years / 24k miles and the ECM, Catalyst, and OBDII for 8 years / 80k miles.

I forgot to update my thread as I asked a followup question on the DFP coverage. This is the response from VW customer care in Jan. 2010 for my 2009. Maybe someone with a 2010 should send an inquiry to VW customer care in light of the fact that the DFP appears to be a seperate part from the catalyst on MY 2010.
Thank you for your reply e-mail. I understand you have additional questions in regard to the coverage of the Diesel Particulate Filter under the Federal Emissions Warranty. I am happy to follow up with your inquiry.

Based on the information available here in the CARE Center, the Diesel Particulate Filter is covered for manufacturing shortcomings under the Federal Emissions Warranty for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from your car’s in-service date of September 30, 2008. I hope this information was helpful.

Thank you for being a member of the Volkswagen family. I may be of further assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If I am not available, one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I figured out what engine I have. In the spare tire compartment there's a factory production sticker tag that's chock full of information. It reads that my Engine Code is CJA.

So, I'm thinking that our 2010 has a CJAA.

Last edited:

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Plus 3 Golfer said:
Post #3 is not a definitive answer to the coverage of the DFP as the Federal Emissions Warranty covers emissions stuff for either 2 years / 24k miles and the ECM, Catalyst, and OBDII for 8 years / 80k miles.
My post ended up a little vague after the edit, sorry. Post #3 goes to the original point of this thread by detailing the differences in emissions equipment which seem to be at least part of the difference between a CBEA and CJAA engine. The warranty stuff is an aside.

Thanks for the updated response from VW.

I think the components covered under the 8/80 federal emissions warranty are specified by federal regulations, and are those listed in your original response from VW I quoted earlier. I agree it would be nice if some 2010 owner would seek clarification on the DPF warranty coverage.