Project I have aquired

bcamp

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
https://s23.postimg.org/d36dq4ux7/IMG_0853_1.jpg

I am new to posting on this forum and new to diesel vw's.
I bought this 2003 Jetta a few months back and am now getting around to try to return it to use. It isn't running atm but hopefully will be soon. Was a great deal at 500.00 came with all the special tools and Bentley Manual,Vagcom.
I have been following write ups on here, so a wealth of information.
Had the head rebuilt by Frank06 and a set of rebuilt injectors to start with.
New timing set and all now I need to reassemble all of it and hope all is good.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
heck of a deal, especially with the VCDS, tools and Bentley.

you lucky devils in the south with your clean, rust free cars...

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Looks like a beauty! Keep updating!

bcamp

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Well got it running last night. Now I need to put all the rest of the small bits back in place.
Adjust the injection timing with Vag-Com and maybe have a good daily driver!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Nice score, my first TDI was a black sedan. :cool:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
$500? Rust free and black. Wow I'm not big on jettas, but that is one nice looking car.

You should be in jail for such a steal.

bcamp

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Question for the gurus on here I have set my I.Q. @ 4.8 would it be detrimental to go above 5 for better fuel economy or just leave well enough alone as it runs very well right now.
Brian

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question for the gurus on here I have set my I.Q. @ 4.8 would it be detrimental to go above 5 for better fuel economy or just leave well enough alone as it runs very well right now.
Brian
The affect is minuscule. If anything, you start running into issues with cold starts (from what I've seen) when setting the IQ too high. There's a bit of confusion out there on IQ and starting.

I just dropped the IQ back down on the wife's car. I'd pushed it up to 5.4 trying to eek out better fuel mileage and to cut back on the smoke (tune and nozzles). Car has given me fits starting- doesn't start crisply, so I ended up dropping the IQ down to 4.2. Wife says that it's starting better now.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you don't get slow-down stutter or black smoke on light-to-medium acceleration then you're fine: usually you have to bump the IQ up; on my car I haven't had to touch anything, while on the wife's it required bumping (same with our blue Golf, though that was done by the PO).

Optimum is just a slight haze at WOT (unless a car is highly modified, in which case a fair amount of black smoke is going to happen).