my 97 golf needs a TB change - can anyone help??

kidkoala

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Golf
I've got an AAZ 97 Golf, and its due for a TB change. Its the first one since I've had it, and I'd like some help (more like watch someone do it - so I can learn for the next time).

Can anyone in the Tri-State help me out?

Also, any suggestions as to where I should purchase the stuff I need?

Thanks!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
there's a guy in Pt Jervis NY that can probably handle a unique machine like this.

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Maybe IBW (IndigoBlueWagon) is near you? He can do a TB change. The dieselgeek.com site is one good place to get a TB replacement kit. You should also consider replacing the water pump as well while you're in there.

kidkoala

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Golf
Wow - fast replies, thanks guys.
I've PM'd IBW, but still waiting for a reply.
Any other suggestions? Is a TB something that gets done at GTG's?
I'd rather not pay too much for labor, as I know this is somewhat of a DIY - its just that I've never done it before.
Anyone have any good Canadian diesel part sites? Most of the US ones only sell products for the TDI - which my car is not (Its an IDI).

Again, thanks for all the help - keep it coming!
-J

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The AAZ uses many of the same cam belt parts as the 1Z and AHU, HOWEVER....
The engine manufacture date is needed for a break in the type of self tensioning unit used. The AAZ up to 552 765 used one type, the AAZ from 552 766 and later use the same as the 1Z. Your 97 model year AAZ most likely uses the same as the 97 1Z, but check anyway.
The only discernible difference based on the EtKA parts listing is that the early AAZ uses a nut with an M10 thread plus a spring washer in the center of the tensioner. The later AAZ and 1Z use a self locking nut with an M8 thread plus a flat washer in the center of its tensioner.
The cover plate on which the tensioner is mounted has a break at the same engine serial number. I doubt that the tensioner can be changed from one type to the other unless the cover plate is also changed.

kidkoala

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Golf
MikeS_18 said:
This was the answer to your question. You also have MrChill in Braintree Ma and Jolly Green Giant in Bradford, Ma.
Thanks. I've already talked to him, Chris, and Keith (Meganuke) - but haven't sent a message to JGG yet. I'll do that right now

Lug_Nut

TDI
I know of no one that does free 'house calls'.

I'm 140 miles away if interested. Bring your own parts.

DiscoBubba

Hey there, been a long time since I've ever even checked this forums. Don't usually go on here but I got bored and the spring fevers hittin me making me want a diesel again...Anyways...

I don't live too far away myself, just over in T-Town. But then I've never worked on a TDI, just the past 3 body styles of 2.0L VW's (MKIV, MKIII, & MKII), of course I could always help ya out by bringin some booze :p . Only done the timing belts a couple times, but definetly something I'd recommend you have someone show ya how the first time. After that its fairly easy. As far as parts go it sounds like the only problem ya might have is the Tensioner, but I would highly recommend GermanAutoParts.com Good quality stuff at decent prices and I usually get my order in 1 day cuz I'm so close (NO I don't work for them or anything). Maybe you could even call 'em and ask about that tensioner, but I know they have kits for alot of Timing Belt replacements.

edit- Forgot to mention that if worse comes to worse maybe you could just keep using the current tensioner. I'm sure many on here would highly recommend not doing so as its too risky, but perhaps you could swap it out later when you find the right one.

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Okay, so we're confused. We gave you TDIJetta99, Meganuke, MrChill and Jolly Green Giant. And you say that you are still looking for help. Why? Did they all refuse to work on your car? If you want good help, you'll have to get to one of these people.

Lug_Nut

TDI
At least one on that list has worked on that car for that owner, and won't again.
Others (me) have decided, based on the responses and the lack of responses, to not offer again.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
My only concern is that I need to have the car dropped off because I work a regular job @ 60 hours/week and I don't always have the time to do such a job in one sitting.. Most of the time I'll start on it one night after work and finish it up the following night after work... He is unable to leave the car with me... My only suggestion is to find someone a little closer so it's not such a hassle.. MrChill was going to be my suggestion because he has a shop and is more likely to have the time to do it during the day...

kidkoala

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Golf
I've talked to Chris - although he's in Mass, I'm willing to make the trip to have it done, but he hasn't written me back in a few days.

Keith (meganuke) is the closest to me, and it seems as though he's the one who's gonna be able to help me out.

kidkoala

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Golf
Lug_Nut said:
At least one on that list has worked on that car for that owner, and won't again.
Others (me) have decided, based on the responses and the lack of responses, to not offer again.
I'm a little confused by this response :confused:
The only person on that list that has worked on my car is Keith - and it appears as though I'll be dropping it off to him next week.
So you have suggested to others not to work on my car?