Scanguage II settings and accuracy...

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Somewhere in the manual it talked about the fuel cutoff and that it should be 0 for a diesel, but if you put it at 0 it messes thing up. SG said to keep it at least 4 away from 0, so I put it at 6. I believe I was getting my info fromthe SG manual, the SG website, and TDIClub...and some interpretive thinking.... :D

It works for me...hand calculated vs SG calculated (mileage) is within 1 MPG usually.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Well, here's what SGII has to say about it...

Some vehicles will turn the fuel injectors off while
coasting – this is known as Fuel Cutoff. ScanGauge
attempts to detect the fuel cutoff condition by
comparing the open/closed loop indicator and the
throttle position. If ScanGauge improperly detects fuel cutoff, then you may see fuel economy being
reported as 9999 MPG or 0.00 LHK.
The CUTOFF parameter allows you to set the point at which ScanGauge can determine the throttle is
closed and in the fuel cutoff condition. The default value of 24 is usually correct for most vehicles but may
need to be adjusted. This setting is not critical but is best at about 4 above the no-throttle TPS value. You
can choose to disable the fuel cutoff sensing feature of the ScanGauge by setting the value of CUTOFF
to 0.
I left mine at 24 and have had pretty accurate results, lately anyways. I'm wondering which way the numbers work. If using a value of 0 disables it then does that mean to trigger it earlier you would raise the number? IOW, the larger the number, the sooner (and further from actual 0 TPS) the cutoff would trigger? If so, then the increment must be pretty small if both 6 and 24 are acceptable.

I can tell when my motor goes into 0 injection mode by watching my timing. It will go to 0 when off. Touching the throttle will induce some timing with even the tiniest bit of pressure. Don't really remember what my MPG says because I usually look at AVG for that trip. I'll have to check it out.

Not sure any of this is really significant...

2004PlatinumTDiSport

TDI
Sold 2004 Jetta TDI Sport, hello 2012 VW Passat TDI Comfortline Sport DSG!
I use TPS setting of 6...
Hi there. Please elaborate on your statement.

I'm having issues getting my SGII dialed in after having it unplugged for a code read, and it's been a major PITA getting it set up again.

'04 Jetta TDI, 5 speed, 150,000KMS.

I have all my settings set up for Canada (km, psi, etc etc).

I have the "9999 LHK" displayed, and have tried adjusting the cutoff level to various levels with no noticeable results.

I've also noticed my AVG gauge has been jumping around, and I'm wondering if I don't need a sensor replaced or something.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into the advanced options on the SGII. I know it's something so easy that it has me stumped.

I'm also wondering what my TPS value should be. It's sitting at about 84 at idle, and I'm wondering if this can be adjusted and how. My guess is it should either be 100 or 0.

Thanks for any help..

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
What do you mean by advanced options? Are you trying to add an X-gauge?
To the OP, You mentioned $10 fill-ups. The way fuel prices have been fluctuating I would imagine the quantity will fluctuate as well. Like others have mentioned, fill to the brim each time; it will take a few or more minutes to do, but that is the only way to get accurate readings on the SGII. I think my adjustment fator is @ minus 28.? percent, but I do make minor adjustments if there is a half gallon difference.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
TPS should be 0 at idle. TPS is Throttle Position Sensor - it senses where the throttle (the go pedal) is positioned.

If you are not pressing on the pedal it should be at 0, if you have the pedal to the metal, it should be at 100 (as in 100%). If the pedal is halfway pushed down, the TPS should read 50 (as in 50%)

I would fix this problem first before worrying about the SGII. This could be your problem...

2004PlatinumTDiSport

TDI
TPS should be 0 at idle. TPS is Throttle Position Sensor - it senses where the throttle (the go pedal) is positioned.

If you are not pressing on the pedal it should be at 0, if you have the pedal to the metal, it should be at 100 (as in 100%). If the pedal is halfway pushed down, the TPS should read 50 (as in 50%)

I would fix this problem first before worrying about the SGII. This could be your problem...

JB05, by advanced options I meant the advanced options menu mentioned in the SGII manual, however I think I have an older version SG that doesn't have those options.. not sure.

Cleaver, any idea how I would fix or reset the TPS value? It sits around 84 at idle...

Thanks

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Either your TPS sensor is broken or the SG is reading the wrong value. I would reset the SG to factory defaults and reconfigure.

If the SG is still reading TPS wrong then I would suspect that the TPS sensor is bad. At that point I would be asking in the TDI101 forum on how to diagnose and repair the TPS...as I have no idea.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Keep in mind also that the TPS reads the position of the pedal itself. When using the cruise control, it will (should) read "0".

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Maybe i'm wrong, but I think that SG says to fill it up once and not change the value because, 99% of the time when somebody first plugs in their brand new SG2, they already have some fuel used in the car.

For you to accurately calibrate, it needs to be filled up and the tank values reset to 0. And since it wasn't calculating for the first part of the first tank because you just bought the SG2, it doesn't want you to calibrate because it would certainly screw up your next tank.

I don't know if this is right or not, but I just bought an SG2 and only had 50 miles on the new tank, so i went and filled it up and reset the tank data with 'fillup" and i did not alter the gallons used.

I then drove 300 miles and filled up again, and adjusted the gallons used.

We'll see how accurate my 2nd real tank is. Maybe i'm totally wrong, and will have to start all over. Time will tell.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I re-went through the initialization after mine got knackered, somehow. It worked and now I'm within .1 gallon per tank average again. It took a couple tanks but it settled in nicely. I calculate and track my mileage using an Android app anyways (formerly used Excel) so I the MPG is just for sport. I use the gauge functions mostly, the trip meter functions, not so much.

2004PlatinumTDiSport

TDI
I reset mine and it seems to work ok.. however when I stop at a light I am still getting the "9999LHK" message and my average increases.. Anyone else have this issue?
Once I start driving again the average goes back to where it should be..

Thanks

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I reset mine and it seems to work ok.. however when I stop at a light I am still getting the "9999LHK" message and my average increases.. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
I never see this display... when starting (after overnight, etc.), starting the car produces --- in the avg. display. That's as weird as it gets. The rest of the time, it displays some number but never 9999LHK. Dunno... that's a question for the mfg. All the basic settings correct like Diesel-A vs Diesel-B, etc? I am talking about daily average, BTW. Rarely look at tank avg.

thats correct, your average should go up when you are stopped at a light. Idling and going no where....
Uhhh, that makes no sense. My experience has been that idling is way more detrimental to my avg. mileage than I ever gave it credit for. I drive the same 35 mile route to work every day. A stop at the convenience store (5 min) and leaving the car idling will drop my avg. trip by 2-3 mpg vs not. Same if I warm the car up first. How can using fuel and going nowhere increase your mileage?

Last edited:

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel

Thanks
The reason this happens is because you have your Scanguage displaying in metric. The mileage is been displayed as liters/100 km - not miles per gallon.

When you are stopped and idling, your are travelling 0 (zero) kilometers. It is not possible to calculate liters/100 km so the Scanguage displays a nonsense number until you start moving again. For example, try dividing any number by zero in your calculater - what do you get - something like ERR!

It is not a problem, but if you change your setup to display miles per gallon, you won't see 9999 anymore.

2004PlatinumTDiSport

TDI
Uhhh, that makes no sense. My experience has been that idling is way more detrimental to my avg. mileage than I ever gave it credit for. I drive the same 35 mile route to work every day. A stop at the convenience store (5 min) and leaving the car idling will drop my avg. trip by 2-3 mpg vs not. Same if I warm the car up first. How can using fuel and going nowhere increase your mileage?
Actually, that made sense to me.. Because when you think about it.. the car isn't moving and it is using fuel, hence the LHK would increase.. because you're not moving.. but still using fuel..

But I'm still not convinced my SGII is working correctly.. :confused:

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
Yes, you are right the engine is using fuel when it is stopped and running, but the metric way of calcuating mileage "Liters/(100 * km)" puts the distance factor in the denominater of the equation. When the car is not moving, the denominater of the equation "100 * km" turns into zero and you cannot divide any number (even zero) by zero.

If you don't believe me, try hand calcuate it. Let us say that your car stops at a red light for 1 minute. Your car in drive will use about one third of a gallon of fuel per hour or 1/60 or .0167 gallons of fuel during that time.

So hand calcuating using the metric way of calculater mileage, we plug in the values; the numerater of the equation is .0167, the denominater of the equation is 100 times zero or zero. Try typing in .0167 into your hand calucater and then divide by zero. What do you get?

There is nothing wrong with scanguage. The problem is the way that metric mileage is expessed. It is an upside down way of expressing the mileage. It expressed mileage as a expression of distance rather than fuel consumed.

Another way of looking at it is that the more efficient an engine, the metric mileage decreases. But with imperial mileage (miles per gallon), the mileage increases. But it is the same engine !!!! :confused:

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
Do you guys update the fill on the SG every time you put fuel in?
I stopped filling the tank because I can seem to feel slight weight changes in the car. Less than half + me and it is great; full tank and it seems sluggish by comparison. Same with when my 115lb wife hops in, I can feel a difference.

Mine wasn't always accurate when guessing how much fuel I put in, but on the first tank it seemed accurate enough, so I just left it alone. When I hand calculate mileage it is very close to what the SG says. I'm just impressed that I can get 55MPG doing 70-80 on the Interstate even with a Beetle. However I'm sure that is due to the wind tunnel effect. Same MPG driving 60-65 on an empty highway. On regular roads I get 55 MPG going 55. I guess the wind tunnel effect really helps a ton. I was getting 50-55 driving from Tampa-Orlando with 4 adults going 80 with sprints up to 90 and 100. No ill effects on MPG. I was bumper to bumper with four other cars though.

City is another story.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I don't update my SG on every fill up. Just get it close enough to your hand calculated mileage and leave it alone.

Absolute and perfectly accurate results are nice, but it is nicer to have comparitive results. If you keep changing your SG everytime you fill up, then how do you know if the mileage that your are getting now has improved because of the last tank of fuel or because you just recalibrated it.

It is better to have the SG left alone once it has been calibrated.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to argue my point, the person talking about 9999 is using the metric system and when you are stopped your fuel efficiency number goes up and your mileage goes down. (L/100km vs mpg).

My car always reports 9999 when I am stopped because for me to go 100km at my current speed (which is 0km/h), it would take me 9999L (the max number shown by the scanguage). Technical is should be the infinity symbol, but not many cars/devices can show this so they use the largest number possible.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I suspect we're talking apples and oranges a little bit. If you are referring to real-time mileage, then I understand completely. I never look at that but always AVG mileage. Even stopped, it retains and shows your average for that trip or "session".

If in real-time, then I can see why it would be some weird number. I thought I was clear in my previous post about AVG but maybe not. On the other hand, as it was never mentioned, I ASSumed we were talking AVG, my bad. So are you talking AVG or real-time mileage?

Last edited:

Vnavone

TDI
2013 Jetta sportwagen
No TPS reading

Hi All,I just installed a ScanGauge 2 on my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and I can't seem to get any reading from the TPS gauge. All the other gauges work fine, but this one is blank. I really want to see this data so I can program my fuel cutoff setting correctly. Am i missing something obvious? Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks for any help!

Vnavone

TDI
2013 Jetta sportwagen
Hi All,I just installed a ScanGauge 2 on my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and I can't seem to get any reading from the TPS gauge. All the other gauges work fine, but this one is blank. I really want to see this data so I can program my fuel cutoff setting correctly. Am i missing something obvious? Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks for any help!
I called ScanGauge customer support and they said that some cars don't report TPS to the OBDI. It seems strange to me that this would be the case with my Jetta Sportwagen, since so many other users here are getting TPS readings. Are there any other 2013 Sportwagen drivers here who are getting TPS readings from the ScanGauge 2?