Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks/struts.. Comments Please

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Anyone used these? Any comments or insight? Local dealer has a buy one get second for 1/2 price. I know I can't go wrong with the Bilsteins, but I'm just looking for input on the Sensa-Trac from Monroe.

Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Snowman, I just installed Bilstein TCs today. I don't know how any other setup will touch the TCs on a value basis. They're really nice.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Monroe shocks/struts are plain old ordinary run-of-the-mill stuff. They work but you don't get what you don't pay for. If you're not planning to keep the car for a long time, and it is used for ordinary daily driving and you're not an enthusiast, they will keep the car from bouncing off the road. If you want something better, you'll have to pay more ...

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
I've run the Sensa-Tracs on my '94 'Burban for 6 years and 58K miles. Outstanding blend of control and yet compliance over small stuff. Funny thing is, I originally bought Bilstiens for it,(special $49.99 each sale) but took them off after 2 weeks and returned them because they pounded so bad over expansion joints. Different application, but some input nonetheless. The longevity of the ST's is on par with most American dampers. Too bad our struts don't accept inserts like the old dubs, it would save a ton of money. Good Luck.

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
I put SensaTrac's on my last car and they were great. My brother is still driving it with those same struts 180,000 km later. Having said that, it was a Mitsubishi and the SensaTracs I put on it overdamped the suspension. They actually made the car handle pretty well for what it was.

Based on my success with them on my Mitsibishi I put a set on a Maxima. Run of the mill is a decent description in that case and they will be replaced with Bilsteins.

Based on past experience with Monroe shocks I'd guess my experience with them on the Mitsu was an anomaly. They do have a lifetime warranty though so if you don't want to spend a lot and don't mind doing it again in a few years you could do worse.

Rick

Edit: If you go for them, shop around - some small aftermarket parts shops can beat Canadian Tire's sale price every day.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I'm planning on keeping my Jetta for a very long time so longevity is important to me as well, regardless of whether or not they have a lifetime warranty. I think I'll probably go with the Bilstein TC. The HD would be too stiff for my liking.

Thanks for the input!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
SNOWMAN While everyone here on Freds seem to Like the Bilsten (i find them to stiff) check out the adjustable Koni or the Better Tokico struts while a bit pricy at 450-500 for all 4 you can have your cake and eat it to. Turn the knob one way and they are stiff for playing on the back roads. Turn the other way and smooth for the highway. Also lifetime warrenty. As you are keeping the car a long time I think they are the better strut.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Birdman,
Are you talking about the TC or the HD?

P.S. Since I just found out that my wife will be having twins, the cost will play a significant role too!

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Birdman, what I was asking was this... You said that you found the Bilstein "too stiff". What I'm wondering is which Bilsteins are you talking about? The Bilstein TC or the Bilstein HD?