Cruise Control Retrofit, MKIV Golf

Bino

TDI
1999 MKIV Golf 2Dr
Hey all, I just picked up (well, will be picking up this weekend), a 1999.5 2dr. Golf TDI. The car is not currently equipped with Cruise Control, as per the dealer. I found this link, that outlines the cruise control retrofit. I just wanted to clarify whether or not these instructions are valid for US made vehicles. Everything I've found about Cruise Control retrofits says something specifically about European models.

Much Thanks

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I don't think I've seen a US market MkIV Golf/Jetta/NB without a cruise control. Yes, the instructions do look like they are correct for fitting it, if it truly is missing.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I remember that the GL newbeetles did not have cruise control in the first couple of years. altho all I remember them having to do was get a cruise control stalk and plug it in.. not the extra wiring shown here.

perhaps its different for the golf/jetta.

Bino

TDI
1999 MKIV Golf 2Dr
MOGolf said:
I don't think I've seen a US market MkIV Golf/Jetta/NB without a cruise control. Yes, the instructions do look like they are correct for fitting it, if it truly is missing.
Yeah, I've read a couple times that all TDI's come with Cruise Control. So perhaps the dealership is just confused... they didn't go out and look at the car when I asked. And it seems odd that it would have A/C but not cruise... given that A/C is a ton of extra components, and the cruise is just a switch on a stalk that has to be there anyway... I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the replies.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
It could have the stalk, but the cruise could be disabled. There are login codes that switch it on and off. About 1 minute with the VCDS and it will work if it's just turned off.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
There is no cruise light on the 99 and 00. If that's what threw 'em off.

Check the stalk yourself. Don't let other people tell you what something is or isn't when buying a car.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
My 01 did not come with the cruise light, I think they started in 02 but not sure. I have am Euro ECU that when I use it the light comes on so the lights are there just not turned on. I don,t like or need another light on anyway,

Bino

TDI
1999 MKIV Golf 2Dr
NB_TDi said:
Check the stalk yourself. Don't let other people tell you what something is or isn't when buying a car.
I should have clarified... I'm not close enough to actually look at the car. I would know perfectly well if I were sitting in the drivers seat whether or not there was cruise control :rolleyes:...