Yet another bungled timing belt thread...

danleym

TDI
2000 Jetta
Yes, I changed my own timing belt and now my car won't start. I'm that guy. Awesome. I think I've figured out why, but wanted to run it by you all:

I know the crank and cam are timed correctly- double and triple checked- they're at TDC at the same time. The injection pump, on the other hand, I think that's where I went wrong, despite following a write up...

What I've read, it the hole for the locking pin should be at about 1 o'clock when the engine is at TDC. Mine is closer to 3 o'clock. If I'm thinking correctly, I should be able to undo everything, keep the crank and cam timed together, and then manually rotate the injection pump until that hole is at roughly 1 o'clock, and hopefully that will get it in a start window, and from there I can fine tune with vag-com?

How does that sound to you more experienced folks? Right path or terrible idea? Any other thoughts?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Should look something like this. And yeah it's definitely closer to the 1 o clock position. Sounds like you have it too far over.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Quick and easy, lock the cam with the number 1 cylinder lobes facing in a semi upward direction, pin the pump, you can't eyeball it. You're in suckville if you need to move the sprocket...I've had to a time or 2 and it was usually about 2 am when I came to the conclusion

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
There is a recess, or false hole you can easily catch. The line up tool will drop in there, won't be as deep and the tool will be loose. When you catch the proper pin hole in the pump the tool will slide in deeper and fit snug. You are on the right track, just redo it, with a mirror you can see the hole.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Don't forget to do 2 complete revolutions by hand to insure crank and cam are timed, redo the tensioner also.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm real good at flipping the pulley over at this point
just about half the time I get it 180 out, haha

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
With the belt off you may just want to remove the pump pulley to get a better idea of where you need it to be.
Always lock everything down before you remove the old belt. I also mark the flywheel so that I know for sure I'm looking at the correct mark.

Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yes, I changed my own timing belt and now my car won't start. I'm that guy. Awesome. I think I've figured out why, but wanted to run it by you all:

I know the crank and cam are timed correctly- double and triple checked- they're at TDC at the same time. The injection pump, on the other hand, I think that's where I went wrong, despite following a write up...

What I've read, it the hole for the locking pin should be at about 1 o'clock when the engine is at TDC. Mine is closer to 3 o'clock. If I'm thinking correctly, I should be able to undo everything, keep the crank and cam timed together, and then manually rotate the injection pump until that hole is at roughly 1 o'clock, and hopefully that will get it in a start window, and from there I can fine tune with vag-com?

How does that sound to you more experienced folks? Right path or terrible idea? Any other thoughts?

Injection Pump hole should line up with the square- rectangle block onto of pump like this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Believe I was able to see the hole (and the "sucker" hole) behind the pulley. Believe it's square to the pump, about 1 o'clock I guess, referenced to dead level. Simply re-align the 3 points until you're sure, car will run.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Exactly. See that square raised boss on the pump case? The hole is DIRECTLY aligned with it. IF that's not the hole you're in it's the WRONG HOLE (that's what she said ;-))

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Just want to add you can see how far the tool went in in the 2nd picture.
No pun intended Genesis :eek: