Clogged Catalytic Converter?

veget8

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
I am experiencing problems with top end power output. According to a VAG-COM, my (brand new) MAF says that my actual flow is 450-550 (request is 800+) at 3000 rpm. I have pretty much eliminated the possibility of a problem with anything in the intake path.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced a clogged catalytic converter or other exhaust component? What was that like?

Another question- I shudder to think how much VW probably charges for the cat on these cars. Are there any lower cost options? Would any cat work ok, such as one made for a gasser?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
veget8 said:
I am experiencing problems with top end power output. According to a VAG-COM, my (brand new) MAF says that my actual flow is 450-550 (request is 800+) at 3000 rpm. I have pretty much eliminated the possibility of a problem with anything in the intake path.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced a clogged catalytic converter or other exhaust component? What was that like?

Another question- I shudder to think how much VW probably charges for the cat on these cars. Are there any lower cost options? Would any cat work ok, such as one made for a gasser?
Symptoms of a clogged CAT:
1. Lack of or poor top end performance. Nopted by a limit of top speed. This is affected by the amount or degree of clogging. I've seen a TDI CAT clogged so badly that the top speed was 55/60 MPH.

2. Another symptom is excessive low /poor MPG on a 5 Sp I've seen MPG drop from 50 to a low of 38 MPG.

3. Excessive black smoke under attempted heavy acceleration

I also noticed that acceleration in 1st, 2nd & 3Rd gear was close to normal excepth when WOT in 3rd gear.
WOT in 3Rd resulted is a noteable sluggish feel. The car would accelerate but rather slowly.

About replacing your CAT...The CAT on a diesel is not the same as a "gasser" CAT. You'll need a diesel CAT.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Last edited:

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I think you would be better off trying to find a salvage car, there are a couple being parted out in the For Sale section, and get the exhaust from that.

I don't know how feasible this is, but disconnect the exhaust, stuff some heat shielding around the turbo outlet and see if the actual and requested come more into line.

Mikey2

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2002 grey
The CAT on a diesel car is not something you truly need and it will not affect measured exhaust values.

Remove the CAT and using a length of steel bar remove the fillings inside the CAT and reinstall it. That is a standard procedure by VW dealership in Finland !

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Mikey2 said:
The CAT on a diesel car is not something you truly need and it will not affect measured exhaust values.

Remove the CAT and using a length of steel bar remove the fillings inside the CAT and reinstall it. That is a standard procedure by VW dealership in Finland !
This rare (and oft difficault to locate) "tool" is refered to as a "Devil's tooth pic". I have one such tool. I've used it a few times....works well.:rolleyes:

veget8

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
Well, I just got the car back from the muffler shop. Incidentally, they said they were required by law to replace a catalyst on a vehicle that has one from the factory. Had them replace the cat and do a mufflerectomy (I don't want any variables left). They used a high flow cat designed for a diesel, not sure what brand.

Took the car for a test drive and the only thing different is that it's louder. Top speed is still around 75-85 depending on whether I am going up or down hill. Power is fairly good until about 2800 rpm, and then it drops off pretty quick. The car won't go past much past 3200rpm in any gear, if it does, it creeps by it. If I jump hard on the pedal in first there is a quick puff of black smoke around 2000 rpm.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions anyway. I was pretty sure this was going to be it.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Are You Sure...

..that the "new" MAF was not DOA?

I would, at this point, replace it with a known good one (from a TDI that runs like the bat from hell, compared to yours) and see if that makes a difference. The values you posted and the drop-off at 2800 rpm sound too close to a bad MAF for comfort.

A good MAF meets the 800 - plus requested value without problems and can measure a flow of over 1000.

veget8 said:
Well, I just got the car back from the muffler shop. Incidentally, they said they were required by law to replace a catalyst on a vehicle that has one from the factory. Had them replace the cat and do a mufflerectomy (I don't want any variables left). They used a high flow cat designed for a diesel, not sure what brand.

Took the car for a test drive and the only thing different is that it's louder. Top speed is still around 75-85 depending on whether I am going up or down hill. Power is fairly good until about 2800 rpm, and then it drops off pretty quick. The car won't go past much past 3200rpm in any gear, if it does, it creeps by it. If I jump hard on the pedal in first there is a quick puff of black smoke around 2000 rpm.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions anyway. I was pretty sure this was going to be it.

veget8

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
cattlerepairman said:
..that the "new" MAF was not DOA?

I would, at this point, replace it with a known good one (from a TDI that runs like the bat from hell, compared to yours) and see if that makes a difference. The values you posted and the drop-off at 2800 rpm sound too close to a bad MAF for comfort.

A good MAF meets the 800 - plus requested value without problems and can measure a flow of over 1000.
Cattle-

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried several MAFs that I had on hand, but I haven't really had one that I knew was right out of a working car. I will keep an eye out for someone who would be willing to let me try theirs. Thanks
-Scott