96 1z glx code 0741-27-10 brake pedal monitoring

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
This is the tdi drivetrain into a glx chassis project. I got the abs issue resolved, now can't get the ecu to recognize the brake pedal has been depressed. Measuring Block 6 "brake pedal" (f/f47/f36) window can change from 1 1 1 to 0 0 1 but never 0 0 0, causing an implausible signal. So the clutch and brake light switches work, just not the brake pedal monitor switch (f36) The switch itself ohmed OK, yes, the brake lights work. Any idea where the ecu obtains the f36 switch signal, or ideas where I might have rewired things incorrectly, or anything I'm overlooking ? Thanks for the ideas.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
They are two different switches, or at least, my brake pedal has two switches on it, both 2 wire, the clutch has one switch as well. They have different part numbers. I'm thinking that there must be a single wire tap coming out of the relay panel that I dont have connected properly, or I'm using the wrong harness from the tdi. I checked for voltage on all the loose wires/connectors when I applied the brakes, didnt find any though. Another gremlin.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I'm getting closer. The glx uses vacuum vents to disconnect the cruise control, I guess the tdi just uses good old 12volts via the control module as the switches do not have vacuum ports. The cruise control modules have the same part number (??). Now the problem I have is that it looks like I have some of the glx wiring, and some of the tdi wiring mixed in. I can't find a wiring diagram for the cruise control circuit for a tdi in Bentley. Can anyone provide a link to that diagram ? Maybe another option is to try to find a vacuum source in the tdi engine to supply vacuum to the glx cruise system. Any thoughts on that, i.e. can the tdi vacuum pump supply enough vacuum? Since the throttle pedals are different, how could I overcome not having an attaching bracket for the vacuum diaphram if I tried to go the glx parts route ? That seems to be the biggest gotcha. Thanks.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Cruse in the TDI is totally handeled by the ECU. There is no seperate cruse 'controoler'. You just run the wires from the cruse switch into the ECU.

-J

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Ok... so I'm a dunce... what I thought might have been the cruise module was probably the anti-theft module. I found a wiring diagram in Bentley X173 no. 29/3, but that still lists the switches as "vent valve switch". Perhaps that is just old terminology ? The problem is with the brake light switch circuit.. In that no. 29/3 diagram, F1 (brake light switch) has 3 connections, J104 (abs control module), T1a (to the ecu), and M9 (left brake light). Since the brake lights work, and the abs light is now out, think the problem could be an open circuit between F1 and T1a ? The actual pin out looks like a defect between W/4 and T68/44. Or am I guessing wrong ?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
That was the problem. I had to transplant a wire from the tdi connector to the glx connector. Poof, no more warning lights lit, and only one light left to get lit, which is to get the glow plug light working in the glx cluster.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
For historical purposes: I just did another glx/tdi swap and had this same problem again. The jumper (black/red) from w4 (green six pin auxiliary connector) has a green single male connector on it, and that connector connects to one of two matching female green connectors. If one doesn't work, try the other one. That was my solution in both cases.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Koo-ell. This might be what I need to get the Cabrio's cruise to work. I have one of those three "brake switch" signals constantly made, thus leaving the cruise control unable to activate because the ECU thinks the brakes are applied.

f.w.i.w.: My white GLX to TDI B4 didn't have this issue.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Yup.

I had to do some work on my B4V GLX TDI to get channel 006 to be happy. I forget the details but it was an hour or two in the fusebox area with wiring diagrams and VCDS...

I remember a 4 pin harness and an extension that went to the old VR6 cruise module. I also vaguely remember dealing with the back of the fusebox too.

The thing that bothered me the most was with channel 006 reading incorrectly the RPM's hang between shifts slightly and shutter was more pronounced, you can't go into closed loop operation when 006 is out of whack...

blind

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf
I'll bring this back from the dead to possibly save someone some time. I had this same exact issue but after chasing my tail for 3 hours, I discovered I plugged the green 6 pin connector plug at the fuse box into X instead of W.

I also found this from another thread from Abacus:
Note the VCDS has the incorrect position shown. Instead of F/F47/F36, it should read F36/F47/F, where F36 is the clutch pedal, F47 is the blue switch for cruise, and F is the black switch for brake lights.

I figured since Google lead me to this thread it would probably do the same for others searching this issue.

Last edited: