ALH from a Jetta into a NB convertible

Conti

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I couldn't seem to find this exactly, firstly, can you use a Jetta engine harness in a new beetle? I did a Jetta vr6 to 1.8t swap using Jetta harness and I know you must cut and solder a bundle of wires for the washer fluid level and the pump Ect. But beetles have the engine computer in a different location than Jetta. Can you make it close enough to work?

I may get a deal on a 55k mile 04 beetle convertible 1.8t with a bad transmission, and I have a wrecked 02 Jetta tdi with only 100k and I was thinking beetle tdi convertible. I know I will need a new fuel tank and filler neck, possibly the lines, are the convertible fuel tanks the same as coupes? How about instrument cluster, just get one from an 02-03 diesel one? Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Technically that would not be legal. Because you cannot put an engine that is OLDER than the car in there, and there were no ALH powered 2004 vehicles sold new here.

There is also the issue of the CAN bus differences for 2004. The BEW's EDC16 system was designed to work with all the systems in the 2004 cars, the ALH's EDC15 system was not. So you may find you'd have to change a lot more than just the engine bits. The CCM, ABS, SRS, cluster, and possibly other bits would be incompatible as well.

So a BEW swap would certainly be easier.

Last edited:

Conti

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well, I also have a 00 new beetle 1.8t with a seized engine and junk trans I was considering doing also. Would the harness thing still be an issue?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It would be much easier on the 2000. You'll still have to swap over a bunch of stuff, but at least the other modules in the car will work fine with the ALH's ECU.