Recommend window repair shop?

MotoFelix

TDI
2001 Golf with Monsoon Sound System
Bummer. Walked up to my car to see this. I guess I was due.

Any recommendations for repair shop in the bay area? How much would it cost? If it's not too hard I can consider fixing it myself.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Take the door panel off, then there are two rubber covers about a third of the way down the inner door panel. Open them and roll the window (what's left of it) down until you see a bolt head in each of those holes. You need a 10mm socket with a short extension. Loosen but do not remove both of those bolts, remove all the remains of glass then set the new window right in the holders and tighten them up.

MotoFelix

TDI
Hey thanks, that sounds pretty straight forward. Anyone know how to take the door panel off? I'm looking at the bentley manual and it doesn't say much. :confused:

Take the door panel off, then there are two rubber covers about a third of the way down the inner door panel. Open them and roll the window (what's left of it) down until you see a bolt head in each of those holes. You need a 10mm socket with a short extension. Loosen but do not remove both of those bolts, remove all the remains of glass then set the new window right in the holders and tighten them up.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
Pry off the door handle cover, remove two #3 phillips screws, remove 3 torx screws from the bottom of the door cover, pry off the door cover carefully, and unplug the electronics and door cable. There's a good write-up on vwvortex, look for the MK4 FAQ.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Pry off the door handle cover, remove two #3 phillips screws, remove 3 torx screws from the bottom of the door cover, pry off the door cover carefully, and unplug the electronics and door cable. There's a good write-up on vwvortex, look for the MK4 FAQ.
Bummer dude...sorry to hear. I've had my ride broken into 3 times (2 different cars) and it always sucks. Forget about the personal property...I was more worried about the documents in there.

There's also a phillips screw on the upper inside portion of the door panel near the tweeter that you should remove.

The inside door panels are held in place by 6-8 round plastic clips that snap in place. they are great at holding the door panel in place...but I tend to break a 1 or 2 every now and then. I don't think they are much to replace...might be handy to have a few spares with you in case.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
That sucks! As OnePutt said, having your registration in the car gives then invador knowledge of where you live; they could take a garage clicker, look up your address on the registration and ...
Good luck with the repair.

MotoFelix

TDI
No worries, I didn't have any docs in there, my glove box was actually removed for the time being.. I was doing an upgrade to the 2002+ glove box :D

Yeah the jobs turned out to be easier than I thought. The hardest part was getting all the broken glass out of my car. I think I must've been cut here and there half dozen times. Besides that I followed the instructions from vwvortext and the tips you guys gave:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...urself-Guide-Please-consult-before-posting***

Now I have a super clean passenger side window!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
You'd think that since the cops run the registration before they get out of their vehicle, we wouldn't have to have that piece of paper in the car. But the CPR still requires it to be in there. Fortunately they dropped the requirement that it be visible from outside the cars years ago.

dieselarmada

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI Manual
Just for reference maybe for next time, I went to Absolute Auto Glass in Santa Cruz across from Walgreens/VW dealer and was able to haggle them a little bit down on a windshield :) Long story short, I drove into a car port with a bike on the roof, dooohhh! And, the carrier on the bike rack bent down and shattered my windshield.

They did a pretty good job and were fast.