received heater core warranty extension today

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
No heat on the passenger side tonight...second heater core failure on ours.

Wish we would get the offer letter that I have been waiting on for 6 weeks. Will be happy to turn this one in.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
mine clogged as well, even with 2 coolant flushes to try and avoid this! I was a little wasted and had the wife drive- yup ice cold air out of the passenger side! She did say that the right side of the window is always fogged up and has pulled out in front of people by mistake :eek:

maniago

TDI
'13 Passat TDI 1/2SE-1/2SEL DSG
Looks like 2013s are the ones not covered, same issue with mine. Have to do some research on how hard it is to do oneself, tho Ive done it on other cars, and for sure its been a major PITA. Anyone know about our Passats?

---------------

Ok nevermind - just saw the heater core thread. I'll do that.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our '13 Passat SEL just started to blow cold on the passenger side floor this Wednesday. I got the letter that we're covered on the heater core warranty extension....but hard to say why some Passats are covered and others not, if the main theory as to the cause of this (breakdown of the VW coolant) is correct.

I have an appointment early Monday morning at the dealer to fix this. I don't plan on being charged for a coolant flush, since the flush is only necessary because of VW's bad design.... but I'll know more in 48 hours. Charging for a coolant flush seems to be a variable, depending on the dealer.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Mine started acting up, cool air passenger side. My car is an early 2013 with 135,000 KM's. I don't remember a VW letter about an extended warranty on the core.

Don

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Mine started acting up, cool air passenger side. My car is an early 2013 with 135,000 KM's. I don't remember a VW letter about an extended warranty on the core.

Don
I got a warranty extension letter (it's for 10 years /120K miles, just like the extensions I got on the turbocharger and AdBlue heater) a couple of months ago. Our car was purchased in July of '13, from what I could tell from the sticker in the trunk it was manufactured in May of that year, and the sticker uses Canadian terminology, calling it a "Highline" model, whereas the car itself is badged correctly with "SEL" and it has no coolant heater, as a Canadian model would.
I would suggest you run a check on your VIN to see whether or not it's covered. I have no idea why it wouldn't be, but another contributor to the forum has specifically stated that he checked, and his '13 is not covered.

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta 13 Passat SE 6MT
Mine just started blowing cold this week, I never got a letter. 13 Passat SE MT 67,000 miles. I called VWOA and they said my car is not included in the warranty extension, yet I am experiencing the same symptoms that the TSB outlines. I was told to schedule an appointment for diagnosis and she would file a claim to escalate issue. so I will keep you informed.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My dealer told me the 12's and 14's are covered, not the 13's. Go figure.

I have an extended warranty with a $50 deductible, not worth another fight for $50.

Sound reasonable not to cover the 13's?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta 13 Passat SE 6MT
Well they wont cover mine. I called once and chatted once. was told to take it in for diagnosis and they would escalate claim after. They want $105 for diagnosis then an $850 bill for replacement if they still wont cover it after diagnosis. so I just spent the money and did it myself. not happy about it but it was not overly expensive. kind of a pain in the butt to change but only took me about 3 hours, how does it cost $850 if the parts are around $100? ridiculous labor rate?

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
Mine isn't covered. I looked online, the OEM VW heater core is around $70 if you can find it. My 2013 isn't covered. Dealer wants $450 in labor to change it out. He will "cover" the cost of the heater core. How nice of them.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Just to be clear..bought my wife's car in 2017 a 2013 passat sel. cpo.so did not get the notices that were sent out in 2016..is there any other way to confirm if car is eligible for heater core besides a phone call? Who's to say they just say "NO" on the call??:( Not that I don't trust them?:rolleyes: Thanx!

Last edited:

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Just to be clear..bought my wife's car in 2017 a 2013 passat sel. cpo.so did not get the notices that were sent out in 2016..is there any other way to confirm if car is eligible for heater core besides a phone call? Who's to say they just say "NO" on the call??:( Not that I don't trust them?:rolleyes: Thanx!
Use the VW Chat on the website, pretty quick and clear answers. All CRKA TDI's are covered 10 years/120k miles as I was told by VW representative.
---
Vw Chat
https://www.vw.com/contact/

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
NOT covered:mad:..this 2013 passat tdi SEL..apparently they are NOT all covered according to "chat"