Boost leak, cause was drive shaft rub

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Just thought I'd share this as is performance related.

A few days ago I started to hear a hiss and initially thought nothing of it as there was not too much power drop but the noise bugged me and figured it was a boost leak.

Started to look into it and could do hear it but struggled to find it.

After having a good 2 person look, pressing the throttle etc we couldn't find it so guessed as it being a lower hose.

Took the lower IC hosing off and found:

Found the hose just off the turbo was rubbing on the drive shaft or suspected it. Luckily had a spare from a friends car he is breaking, so on that went.

Once the new hose was on it looked ok.

However these are unsprung pictures with the car jacked up on stands.

The car was put on coilovers by the PO (set at their highest atm) and the piping held up for 30k+ miles!

Here is was I saw after letting the jack down and wheel back on.

All behaving again atm, but posting to make this reasonably searchable and advising to be aware with a lowered car this is one to watch out for.

Mods - apologies if this is not quite performance related and more 101.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Maybe clock the turbo a bit to move that pipe round, basically just loosen the little 6mm bolts holding the shiny silvery end on the turbo and rotate the housing.

Better yet, get the PD150 turbo, bigger nozzles and a chip! The turbo outlet is different and should get the pipe out the way :D

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Maybe clock the turbo a bit to move that pipe round, basically just loosen the little 6mm bolts holding the shiny silvery end on the turbo and rotate the housing.

Better yet, get the PD150 turbo, bigger nozzles and a chip! The turbo outlet is different and should get the pipe out the way :D
I have PP764's waiting to go in...there is a reason I've taken nearly a year to do it.

Bigger turbo and remap will happen after something I'm playing with because I'm an idiot that likes hard mode.

I will look at clocking the turbo, and potentially an FMIC.

The donor pipe is a bit longer I think and rubbing worse then before, so I've got a high pitched noise as it "beds" in.
Going to get in there tonight and confirm it is the noise and not that I've knocked the brake disc shield.

nick-w

TDI
Jetta 2002 /1998 mk3
Happened to me as well!! Running 17/22 upgraded IC,piping and sitting low. I'll have to look at going under the axle sounds like it might be better!

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
OK after eating through the donor pipe in under 1000 miles as it was the wrong size but more a temp fix. I had a new pipe but new I'd be facing the issue again.

I created a solution in cutting 1 cm off the new pipe, I maybe could of gone more but as the first pipe took years to go with slight rub I hope to of eliminated this problem.