Litres per 100 km.

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
I do because I know how much a liter is, how much a liter of diesel costs, and because saying I get 5.1 L / 100 km actually means something to me, as opposed to miles per gallon.
________
volcano vaporizer digital

Last edited:

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
dr_p said:
I do because I know how much a liter is, how much a liter of diesel costs, and because saying I get 5.1 L / 100 km actually means something to me, as opposed to miles per gallon.
Actually, I think putting it in terms of L / 100 km or gal / 100 miles like that gives a much better idea of fuel consumption in meaningful terms. Much like I can go 600+ miles on one tank. It also does a much better job of showing how huge a difference there is in 12 mpg vs 15 mpg vs 20 mpg, (8.33 gal vs 6.67 gal vs 5.0 gal/100 miles).

But if you do the conversion enough times it will start to mean something.:D Same goes for the other way - which I wish the US would do with metric.:rolleyes:

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
Yes, yes we do. And given that this is a Canadian site, a dare say all should be using this as unit of measure. The MPG is fraught with issues anyways with US vs. Imperial ga. confusing everyone. Metric is here to stay guys. Every bolt on your TDI is metric, time to put it out there in metric. Us Canadians have been subsidizing US knowhow by politely reporting our fuel economy in mpg's (for your benefit), we should really get with the program.....

TurboBenz

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS x 2
L/100km.

Far easier to use than MPG.

EDIT: most car ad's now display L/100KM along with mpg in brackets (which MPG do we use anyways? US or imperial? lol).

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
L/100 km is the only one that makes intuitive sense to me. "Miles" and "gallons" and any combinations thereof don't register in my mind. I grew up metric.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
TDiMike said:
Yes, yes we do. And given that this is a Canadian site, a dare say all should be using this as unit of measure. The MPG is fraught with issues anyways with US vs. Imperial ga. confusing everyone. Metric is here to stay guys. Every bolt on your TDI is metric, time to put it out there in metric. Us Canadians have been subsidizing US knowhow by politely reporting our fuel economy in mpg's (for your benefit), we should really get with the program.....
__. Come on! EVERYBODY (even in snow covered areas) should use gallons, miles, inches AND speak English, just like Jesus Christ in the Bible ;) ;) ;) (and before some hoser out there gets their danglies all wrapped up in their knickers, that's a *joke* son. Lighten up!)

tdi_les

Ottawa, Canada (where else?) - www.vwjettatdi.ca
TDI
2006 Jetta - Black w/ Beige leather - www.vwjettatdi.ca
It all started when I was in high school. I figured I could rate my beer drinking against "other pursuits". Then the Canadian governemnt got cute and introduced the metric system! The rest is history. I just thought there should be some reference to how we measure things in Canada. I understand both ways of doing it. And even after 30 years of "metrification" I still get MPG! Whoa is me!

Les

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
tdi_les said:
Do any fellow Canadians use this method (Litres per 100 km.) to measure fuel econmony versus MPG?
:confused:
Les (in Canada)
Hey, yes I do. It makes more sense to me. I even have an extra column in my fuel comsuption table that tells me how much km I drive on 1 liter.
1/##. I was used to use that in Holland. It also makes it easier to understand because I think metric. It is so much easier, if you can count to 10 you can use it. Not the british system. Way to complicated.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Don't we all? Only makes sense; what are you gonna do, convert every fill up at the pump? If you reall need MPG for some reason, the conversion table on this forum makes
it a no-brainer.

Redleaf

TDI
Jetta 2006 Tdi DSG Stock
dr_p said:
100km/5.1Litres * 2.352 = 46.12 mpg

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
OK, I'm an American invading this Canadian thread...

I personally think we should have switched to SI years ago. Did we? Nope, except for soda.

I do find L/100km to be a more sensical measurement, yet I still calculate in MPG - partially because our pumps display gallons, and our odometers display miles. (I'd hate to be in the UK. Pumps displaying liters and odometers displaying miles!) I do know the EPA site has the option to switch all measurements to L/100km...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
When I walk into a pub, I want a pint of beer -- not 500 milliliters.

(I know, 500 ml is more, and I don't mind getting more, but "pint" is one syllable and much easier to say when I'm drinking.)

tdi_les

TDI
TornadoRed said:
When I walk into a pub, I want a pint of beer -- not 500 milliliters.

(I know, 500 ml is more, and I don't mind getting more, but "pint" is one syllable and much easier to say when I'm drinking.)
I just ask for "a beer". Somehow I get one. At that point the unit of measurement is of no consequnce. As long as the glass is full, I am happy. This of course means that I am welcome in countries where they still measure things in pints, quarts and gallons.... a place where fuel mileage is measured in MPG..... Gotta love our bretherin to the South!

All of this being stated tongue in cheek. What do I have to smile about? It's -10 Celcius here in Ottawa, Canada. But, YES, I am getting my brand new TDI at 2:30 today! Hope it starts!

:D

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I prefer tanks of fuel/1000miles

How did we end up with the US 3.78 L & UK (imp) 4.51 L gallon anyhow ???????

I do know that your/Canadian gallon when your country was on the British system was tied to the Imp gal . And when ever you get anything advertised in mpgs , that it is in mpg Imps .

I know or a fact that 99 % of Americans have never even heard of the Imp gal , much less have clue when it coms to L/100km .

I'm only familiar with the L/100km from my travels around the world but rarely use the rating here in "Wht the fk is a L & km anyhow land" .

Most Americans in my experience don't measure in mpgs either . They measure in "how big is my credit card minimum this month ???" . As they have no clue or care what mpgs their gas guzzeling big 3 pig returns anyway .

tdi_les

TDI
rotarykid said:
How did we end up with the US 3.78 L & UK (imp) 4.51 L gallon anyhow ???????

I do know that your/Canadian gallon when your country was on the British system was tied to the Imp gal . And when ever you get anything advertised in mpgs , that it is in mpg Imps .

I know or a fact that 99 % of Americans have never even heard of the Imp gal , much less have clue when it coms to L/100km .

I'm only familiar with the L/100km from my travels around the world but rarely use the rating here in "Wht the fk is a L & km anyhow land" .

Most Americans in my experience don't measure in mpgs either . They measure in "how big is my credit card minimum this month ???" . As they have no clue or care what mpgs their gas guzzeling big 3 pig returns anyway .
Beautiful! You sound more like a Vermonter than a dude from N.C.!

Thanks for the chuckle..... You were trying to inject humour into this Thread - right?

The funny thing is that we converted to metric in Canada back in the 70s (76 I think). I was a teenager at the time. I still find myself going back to imperial measures. IE I weigh 200 pounds (all muscle I assure you). I don't even know how mant kilos that is (divide by 2.25). I am 6 feet tall (the government tells me I need to measure in metres).

Metric is much more practical. But I always go to the butcher and order 1/4 pound of ham for example. Old habits die hard.

:eek:

RealMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
I switched to all metric measurements a while back. I was brought up in metric, but so many things are imperial still. People still do their weight and height in pounds and inches. And just try getting wood cut in centimetres at the hardware store. I did, and the guy there actually ended up discovering that there's a metric measure on the back of the saw that he'd never seen or used before.

Anyway, yeah, l/100km avoids all sorts of problems figuring out which kind of gallon you're using and whatever. And when the low fuel light comes on, I know I have at least 100km left in the tank, since the lowest economy I've gotten is right around 7l/100km.

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Bradtholomew said:
I've always used kilometers per liter. Makes more sense to me than liters/100km, especially when converting to mpg.

Brad
Hear, hear! Km/liter is much easier to plug into further mental calculations, especially when driving, such as the ever-popular "how far can I go on the XX liters left in my tank?" at a bleary-eyed at 2 AM.

Liters/100km is a classic case of good units (SI units, that is), poorly presented... awkward to use in further calculations.

Eddy

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
See, one thing I do is, when I'm given an MPG figure, usually there's a L/100km figure to go with it.

I'll run the L/100km figure through Google, and if the MPG is way off, I know it's imperial MPGs.

jeepescu

TDI
aucun, pour l'instant
As I was born and raised in Europe, to me, MPG does really not mean anything.
Honestly I only started measuring it since I have been frequenting these forums.

L/100km are the only values I can relate to.

DareDiesel

Veteran Member
L/100km (IMHO) would be more useful when purchasing a vehicle. It let's you get a better estimate of what it would cost to operate the vehicle. But after the purchase I would use KpL or MpG. Once I own the vehicle I'm interested in how efficient it is and not how much it costs to operate. But that's just me. :)

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I usually thing in mpg--but ultimately, whether it be L/100km (which just seems weird to me for whatever reason), km/L, or mpg, I just find out how many miles and then figure out cost. None of the representations make intunitive sense, not without math: I mean, there's no "x trips to grandma's" measurement given on the window sticker. Nor "how many trips to work and back before filling up".

Maybe L/km or gallons/mile would make the most sense--I mean, we all know the distance to be traveled, and it's a simple math calculation from there to total fuel required.

EURO-BELG

Veteran Member
MEXICO CITY... Formerly known as Phoenix,AZ.
TDI
2006.5 TDI package 2/DSG,tpms, 2002 TDI 5spd GLS, 2000 TDI 5spd GL
tdi_les said:
Do any fellow Canadians use this method (Litres per 100 km.) to measure fuel econmony versus MPG?

:confused:

Les (in Canada)

Actually, I always count in litres/100km :)

Not yet canadian, though child of the same mother;)

NOTE THAT MY 2006 JETTA TDI PACKAGE 2 WITH THE CLIMATRONIC IS SET IN CELCIUS, I READ THE TIME IN THE 24HRS SYSTEM, I WATCH MY FUEL FLOW AND CONSUMPTION IN L/100KM,LANGUE IS SET IN FRENCH OR GERMAN AND LISTEN TO PREMPLUS AND CBC ON SIRIUS!

:DBEING FROM EUROPE OR LET ME SAY IT EVEN A HAIR STRONGER, BEING EUROPEAN.. IT'S KINDA BAKED IN TO ME!:) HEY, EVERYONE HAS IT'S STANDARDS:D AND YES, I BELIEVE IN HEALTHCARE:eek:

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Yeah, I've seen where people from the UK will say their weight in stone, and many Americans go, "wh...huh?"

Luckily, I've seen it happen enough times that I know what stone means. ;)