BEW serpentine belt replacement - how to

Ksf

TDI
Zora
How to replace your BEW or PD TDI serpentine belt:

Tools needed: 16mm open face wrench & tensioner locking pin.
Serpentine belt for BEW is different from ALH so be careful that you get the right part.
Done on my 04 Bora from the top only!

Steps
1) Open hood
2) Where indicated by red arrows, unclip the fuel lines so they can freely move. The 16mm wrench will go where the yellow arrow is pointing to.

I took a few pictures before and afterwards. This is where the fuel lines need to be unclipped. You need to do this so to allow free movement of the wrench as you move the tensioner to where you can lock it.

Again, the red arrows point to the fuel lines that need to be unclipped. The yellow arrow is where the 16mm wrench goes. You will pull the wrench with your hand passing underneath the fuel lines.

3) Using the 16mm wrench mate it to the top notch on the tensioner (use the pathway already indicated by the yellow arrows)

4) Ready your tensioner lock pin

5) And pull on the wrench until you lock the tensioner (yes, I used an Allen key)
6) Found to be the easiest to remove the serpentine belt from around the alternator pulley first, by pulling it to the left, next do the AC pulley and then the power steering pump pulley.
7) Now reach down with one hand and separate the belt from the engine pulley (look first and then reach down with which ever hand is best for you, with the other use it to control tension on the loose part of the belt). Taking of your watch comes in handy.

8) With the new belt, unfold it from the packaging and find the largest loop. Guide this loop down around the engine pulley. ***Make sure you do not twist the belt***. Once it is around the engine pulley, guide the belt around the steering wheel pump pulley. You will need to use both hands at this point, left hand holding and guiding the belt around steering wheel pump pulley and the right hand coming in from the front (see next picture) holding the belt at the bottom most to the AC pulley. Guide the belt up around the topside of the AC pulley and then partially hook it around the Alternator pulley.
9) ***Now check your work***. Make sure that the belt is properly seated on all pulleys (except the alternator). Once satisfied that all is in order squeeze the belt completely over the alternator pulley.
10) Using the 16mm wrench again unlock the tensioner and slowly allow it to reapply tension to the belt.
11) Remove all tools from engine compartment and test your work (get in car)
12) Return the two fuel lines to under the plastic clip
13) Close hood

This took me 20 minutes to do. I’m not mechanically inclined but I did my R&D before trying.

This is the front side view of the steering pump, AC and top (blurry) alternator. You can see there is a lot of space.

Reference:
BEW belt (different from ALH) as I was not able to find a drawing/schematic here is a side view picture of what and how you will find.

Well I was finally able to find a real true side view of the alternator belt and how it is routed. Yes this is from a gas 1.8T and not a diesel sipping sibling but I do have the permission from the owner to post it here and it does explain nicely how the belt is laid out. Positions of the main pulley, alternator pulley, PS pulley, AC pulley and belt tensioner are clearly viewable. Even the locking pin holes used to lock the tensioner can be seen.

(more pictures = better understanding. ie nothing is lost in the translation)

-30-

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It's always nice to have these how-to's around. It may seem simple to some, but I feel that they can help folks that are hesitant to dive in without knowing what they are getting into.

Thanks.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Especially the part about locking the adjuster pulley in place to put the new belt on. That's not apparant from looking at the car. The ALH certainly is not that way! Nice pictures. Thanks.

--Nate

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
Awesome!

You saved me a trip to that tight place between the car and the ground. Took me 20 min and only a couple scratches (big hands aren't made for tiny car work).

You rock! :D

Ksf

TDI
Zora
Hi AstroEng,
It makes me very happy to know that my post has helped someone!
(I did a happy dance until my kids saw me)

southcarolinastephen

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI "Casper"
Great post with how to secure the tensioner while changing the belt. Not only did I change the belt with no problems, but I also changed my alternator with the help of TDIClub.com. All this work done in less than 2 hours! Saved at least $275.

gwp

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thank You for the post it confirmed what I only thought but was not sure was the way to go on this project. I feel much better now to go forward and save the $90.00 labor dealer quoted to do the instalation of belt

BIOWERX

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Same install for bew golf?
Seems tight when trying to fit around engine pulley.

Ksf

TDI
Zora
Hi BIOWERK,
I believe that it is the same for all BEW engines but having said that check first that you have the correct part (not sure if the Wagon/Jetta is the same for the Golf - maybe you can confirm this). The installation will be snug but so long as the tensioner is not applying tension to the belt you will have enough space to slip the belt over the pulleys one pulley at a time. And the new belt will not have stretched yet as the old one has after being under tension for so many years. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ksf

Last edited:

BIOWERX

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
GREAT POST Ksf!!!
Helped quite a bit. The new belt was a bit snug but it slipped on with some effort. Also, quarters were a bit tight getting belt around pulleys but all seems well.

estwing

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 04 Golf GL
Had to replace my alternator pulley recently- took 5 minutes. Replacing the serpentine belt took 2 hours!! What a PITA! Never knew about the locking pin trick. I bet that makes things MUCH easier.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Never knew about the locking pin trick."

This is why I love this list! I did not know, either, but was lucky enough to read about it beforehand. I used a 12 penny nail.

--Nate

pogo765

TDI
2004 Jetta
Tensioner Pin Hole

Where is the Tensioner locking pin hole .... How far back do you have to pull the tensioner before you see it? I know it's there but I can't see it.

pogo765

TDI
2004 Jetta
I can't his pictures, so I can't see the pin hole location. Anyone got a picture of this location?

clayterp

TDI
04 Jetta TDI (BEW)
Thanks!!

Just used this thread to replace my serpentine belt, alternator pulley, and serpentine tensioner... just wanted to say thanks to Ksf for the informative post! Saved me a TON of time and most importantly MONEY!

For anyone replacing the pulley, my only advice is to drain your windshield wiper fluid or have something ready to plug the hole if you have to move the pump for clearance to get your metalnerd wrenches in there. I made the mistake of taking it out without a "plan" and ended up with a very wet garage, haha.

Thanks again Ksf! The pictures were a lifesaver!

Last edited:

dcwilson

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
Just wanted to bump this because it's awesome. Great write up, really appreciate it. Pretty simple thing to do, I just wasn't sure if I could change it from above. Got my new belt on in about 10mins.

A+ info here for TDI's newbies!

vwbrd

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Anthracite Blue
Just used this thread to replace my serpentine belt, alternator pulley, and serpentine tensioner... just wanted to say thanks to Ksf for the informative post! Saved me a TON of time and most importantly MONEY!

For anyone replacing the pulley, my only advice is to drain your windshield wiper fluid or have something ready to plug the hole if you have to move the pump for clearance to get your metalnerd wrenches in there. I made the mistake of taking it out without a "plan" and ended up with a very wet garage, haha.

Thanks again Ksf! The pictures were a lifesaver!
Getting ready to do the pulley, tensioner and belt tonight myself and found this thread. Many thanks to the OP and also for the hint about the washer fluid.

BTW, is there a link to this post somewhere? I didn't find it with a search in the A4 PD forum or in the FAQ, but through an external google search.

Last edited:

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Bump, Where are you guys buying this belt? The part that Advance Auto stocks is not the correct one. The one they sell only has the ribs on one side.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I bought mine from idparts; it's a Continental belt. What amazes me about this how-to is the OP did not remove the plastic intake pipe from the IC. By removing it, I had alot more room to work and I was able to route the new belt correctly on the first try.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Bora has the belt also, as well as pully and tensioner.

Did mine two weeks ago. Didn't need to remove the pipe -- seemed to be enough room. Didn't find this How-To prior (and not sure why because I searched the hell out of the forum) but this is a straight-forward job.

I decided to replace everything (tensioner, pully, belt) due to not wanting to do this agian for another 8 years.

Tips I used:

Put a PB Blaster-soaked cotton ball in the pully shaft recess and let it "cook" for a half hour prior to attempting removal.

The pulley was a ***** to get to release -- be patient.

There are torque specs for the tensioner bolts (can't remember what it is, though).

I zip tied the hoses out of the way and pulled my fuel filter to make hose clearance available.

Nice write-up!

jfire

TDI
None Yet
I would also recommend replacing the tensioner at the same time as the belt. Just did mine with parts from ecstuning.com following the writeup instructions. My belt was making a nasty noise when I turned the wheel. I thought it was the power steering pump. Turns out, it was just the belt telling me it was worn out. I guess so with 106,000 miles on it!
Thanks for the writeup!

jifre

jfire

TDI
None Yet
I would also recommend replacing the tensioner at the same time as the belt. Just did mine with parts from ecstuning.com following the writeup instructions. My belt was making a nasty noise when I turned the wheel. I thought it was the power steering pump. Turns out, it was just the belt telling me it was worn out. I guess so with 106,000 miles on it!
Thanks for the writeup!

jifre

frodoz737

TDI
2006 NB
2006 Beetle TDI PD alternator clutch pulley froze up yesterday with the car at 100,000 miles. So I decided to do it right and change the alternator/pulley assy (instead of just the pulley), belt and tensioner all at same time. Removing my DG skid plate first saved a lot of time to access belt routing. This thread made the job very simple...compared to what other sites made it out to be at least. Only pipe I disconnected was the split there coming from the inter-cooler.

Thank you all very much! ;)

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Just changed my serpentine belt. Let me preface this: I have changed the serpentine belt a few times before - when it went bad, and when the alternator pulley went bad. And yes, I am perfectly aware of pinning the tensioner.

This time, however, it was a real MoFo!

The part about getting it around all the pulleys is always annoying - but doable after a few attempts.

However, this time, I absolutely could NOT get it all the way on the last pulley (the alternator pulley). I got it about 60% of the way - at which point, I had to take a sanity break (spent about 20 minutes shoving it micron by micron).

I seriously thought about giving the engine a crank - but knew in my heart of hearts, given the position it was in, it would either pop off, or shred.

So, I fought again - got it about 80% of the way. It just was not going any further.

At this point - I was at wits end. There is no using a tool - in part, because of the location, in part, because a tool would just muff up the belt.

It was a gonner - so, I figured, no loss in giving the engine a crank. In the position it was in, it wouldn't pop off. Either it would shred, or slide into place.

Gave the engine a crank. There is a Buddha - it slid into place!

Dunno why this time was so difficult - perhaps some belts are a notch tighter than others.

Last edited:

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Update: The new serpentine belt shredded apart after just 2 days of driving.

I purchased a new belt - the new belt went on as I had remembered it should - slightly snug, but not a struggle to get on.

Either the belt that came with the kit was the wrong one (slightly smaller for some other engine model?), or there was a manufacturing defect.

The kit came from a reputable source - nothing Chinese.

Dr Jones

TDI
06 Golf
I cheated. My mechanic charged me $35 for the belt and no additional labor when he did the timing belt. I have had to remove it to replace the alt. pulley, and eventually the alternator.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The timing belt kits that the vendors here sell will have the serpentine belt with them.

Just sayin'.

RMoss

TDI
PD Jetta, '04, red
Thank you very much for posting the helpful how to. I was able to do it myself with some helping hands in about 40 minutes start to finish. My car is running so smooth it is like a different vehicle.