Show what you tow!

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello,
I think we've been sharing some trailer setup advice in this mega-thread. I recently went to repack my hubs since my trailer may be joining us on an upcoming 1800-mile road trip. Rather than repacking, I discovered some hubs that feature a zerk fitting which flushes grease through the bearings and out the front of the hub (sort of like a Dexter axle). Purchasing them was overkill for my current needs since they're pre-packed, but the fittings will come in handy when it's time to "repack" next year.
Here are the exact hubs I purchased: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466891_200466891

Before putting the Tiguan centercap in place...

I have more photos and a write-up at https://stealthgti.com/2017/10/23/ultra-tow-trailer-hubs/. The swap was super-easy.
Scott
No need to replace the entire hub if all you were after was the "zerk fitting"(Bearing Buddies, EZ-Lube).

Bearing Buddies $24.86 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y89L0S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Generic version - $10.83 - https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow...id=1508854402&sr=1-1&keywords=bearing+buddies

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Scott, did dirt caps come on the zerk fittings? If not, suggest you get some so grit isn't pushed into the bearings when you regrease them.
No caps included. I'd probably just wipe them off before lubing. I'll look into caps, too. However, I wonder if they'll stay in place since the zerk fittings rotate with the hub in this application.

No need to replace the entire hub if all you were after was the "zerk fitting"(Bearing Buddies, EZ-Lube).
Bearing buddies are okay for ensuring the hubs have grease. But EZ-Lube, Dexter, and these Ultra-Tow units actually FLUSH grease through from back to front, which distributes fresh grease throughout.

These hubs are currently on sale for $38 a piece. I found them to be a worthwhile purchase. Again, super-easy to install and great peace of mind to know everything is lubed and ready for another year. :cool:

Scott

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Hello,

No caps included. I'd probably just wipe them off before lubing. I'll look into caps, too. However, I wonder if they'll stay in place since the zerk fittings rotate with the hub in this application.
They should as the ones I've seen are very tight fitting rubber/vinyl. Just wiping off will get most of the crud but it also can push tiny particles in around the ball.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That's a great deal for an entire hub assembly but the quality reflects the price. Might be OK on a small utility trailer that gets used once or twice a year but if I'm towing anything with a significant load or traveling on the highway, I'd rather repack my 5 year old Timken bearings than buy new hubs with Chinese bearings.

Those Chinese bearings need special attention. Repack them every few hundred miles and you might be ok. Or bring a spare hub with you on your 1800 mile trip. Or better yet, replace the bearings with Timken before you go on your trip. There's no worse feeling when a wheel goes rolling past you on the highway almost decapitating a driver from the oncoming traffic. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Hubs?

So I bought one of the HF 4x8 utility trailers when we were moving,
but to my surprise I've been using it a lot lately, 2500 miles on the highway the last 2 months. Trailer was pretty much new when I got it, and it's been just fine so far, but I am getting suspicious about long term durability, yeah, it's el cheapo chinese.

I'd like to swap out the wheels for a 5-100 hub so I've got a spare in the boot for it. Obviously be the time to upgrade the bearings to something like the Timkens.

Any suggestions as to how to go about this?

Cheers,
R*2

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I welded/modified/bolted vw 5x112 hubs onto my trailer. Old. Axle stubb and nut to load it

Now.wjen I pull it with my vw the spare fits.

Unfortunately it matches nothing else I have. Everything else is 8bolt single and dually setup.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
...I recently went to repack my hubs since my trailer may be joining us on an upcoming 1800-mile road trip. Rather than repacking, I discovered some hubs that feature a zerk fitting which flushes grease through the bearings and out the front of the hub (sort of like a Dexter axle).

Here are the exact hubs I purchased: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466891_200466891
I'm running Super Lube's on my 5x8 utility trailer and I pretty much ignore them on my 4,000-5,000 mile summer trips. The system just works. In the event of a failure, I've got a "Tie Down Engineering 86079 Spare Tire and Hub Carrier" on the trailer bringing a spare tire, hub, seals, bearings, and even lug nuts to the roadside party.

I'm curious with the NT link you posted above: specs on those hubs say those are 5x4-1/2" bolt pattern. That would seem to be 5x114.3 when converted to metric. Does that seem to give you any issues? Are you running cone seat or acorn nuts on the hubs?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Nice setup with the hub carrier. If I was doing a serious trip and thought I could use a spare hub, it's very easy to just carry the Ultra Tow packaged product since it's packed so well. I'll consider that if I tackle any big trips in the future.

I'm curious with the NT link you posted above: specs on those hubs say those are 5x4-1/2" bolt pattern. That would seem to be 5x114.3 when converted to metric. Does that seem to give you any issues? Are you running cone seat or acorn nuts on the hubs?
I had some hub adapters made to convert the 5x4.5 to 5x112:

See more adapters at http://adaptitusa.com/5-x-4.50-to-5-x-112-wheel-adapter.aspx. Not only do they allow me to mount VW wheels, now I can omit the trailer's spare tire since the car's spare will work in a pinch. :cool:

Scott

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Howdy there,
Just stopped in to see what's going on. It's been a year since i turned in the TDI, but it's good to see the thread is still alive!

These days my towing needs are handled by my avalanche. Haha the mpg isnt what the TDI was, but the comfort and capability is ten fold.

Anyway, while I'm here I'll share a couple of random pictures of random stuff I towed with ole broomhilda (she was brown and German, get it? )

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Just won an auction on a Kei truck (1992 Subaru Sambar - 1,500 lbs) from a Japanese auction a few hours ago, and I'd like to use the Jetta to pick her up in Long Beach and bring back to Denver.

My question to you all is, how would you tow it?

1) Flat tow the Subaru.

OR

2) Load the Subaru on a 500 lb 5x8 utility trailer, and tow home that way?

My car setup, mostly stock with PP520's and VR6/G60 clutch. No trailer brakes. Total distance with this load: 1,200 miles.

What would you do?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Just won an auction on a Kei truck (1992 Subaru Sambar - 1,500 lbs) from a Japanese auction a few hours ago, and I'd like to use the Jetta to pick her up in Long Beach and bring back to Denver.

1) Flat tow the Subaru.

OR

My car setup, mostly stock with PP520's and VR6/G60 clutch. No trailer brakes. Total distance with this load: 1,200 miles.

What would you do?
Definitely check the weather forecast before leaving California, this time of year. It can be a difficult drive even without pulling a heavily-loaded trailer.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Electric or surge, Disc or Drum? Either way, I expect you'll appreciate the upgrade. My surge discs just do their job. If it's disc & surge, did you get the reverse lock out solenoid valve?
WhereTo,
It was my response to absalom, I do intend to put electric drums on my boat trailer. Though with last night's frost, they can wait till the spring. My feeling is that anything much over a 1000#s for a long distance should have brakes with our FWD small cars.
Cheers,
R*2

Absalom,
Did a touch of research, neat little truck! 25yrs old, not much in the way of import restrictions. Kewl!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I went with electric drum with the other small trailer.

Bought a voyager inertia controller with override and sensitivity adjustments.

3 wires, done.

It's. Not all fancy and tied into the abs module, but Fer fuk sakes, man has towed a lot of miles without that fancy stuff.

Tow smart. Keep the distance, look ahead. Nuff said.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta

1) Flat tow the Subaru.

OR

What would you do?
I'd pull it on a dolly. The ones that UHaul rents have electric brakes.
My reasoning for suggesting the dolly vs flat trailer, Is you will have the load at lower center of gravity. I've done that drive from Denver to CA. There's some real nasty cross winds especially around that Grand junction area. With the height of the kei truck on a utility trailer, that could spell a recipe for disaster.

The rates aren't bad. I did a 1 way dolly rental from CT to PA. There's no mileage and with the insurance it was only around $70.

You drive out there, enjoy the mpg with no trailer and have it reserved/ready for pick up there.

The downside to the UHaul dolly is that it's heavy. Around 800lbs if I remember correctly. But if it were me I'd take the 300lb weight penalty for the benefit of having my load down low. Also you will have brakes, that's a big win itself considering the weight and the mountains you will be driving.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'd pull it on a dolly. The ones that UHaul rents have electric brakes.
My reasoning for suggesting the dolly vs flat trailer, Is you will have the load at lower center of gravity. I've done that drive from Denver to CA. There's some real nasty cross winds especially around that Grand junction area. With the height of the kei truck on a utility trailer, that could spell a recipe for disaster.

The rates aren't bad. I did a 1 way dolly rental from CT to PA. There's no mileage and with the insurance it was only around $70.

You drive out there, enjoy the mpg with no trailer and have it reserved/ready for pick up there.

The downside to the UHaul dolly is that it's heavy. Around 800lbs if I remember correctly. But if it were me I'd take the 300lb weight penalty for the benefit of having my load down low. Also you will have brakes, that's a big win itself considering the weight and the mountains you will be driving.

sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, they are quoting me $302 for a dolly rental.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Uhaul dollies have NO brakes. The 4-up trailers (Called an Auto Transport) do have brakes, but they will NOT rent it to you to put behind your Jetta or anything else that isn't an SUV because the trailer weighs over 2000 lbs EMPTY.

The thing about Uhauls is that you have to qualify the tow through their system, and that limits you to what their lawyers think every vehicle is capable of pulling and stopping. For a VW Jetta, the answer is their system thinks it is only capable of about 500 lbs of load after the overweight of their lightest trailer is considered.

I pulled a 4300 lb Jeep Liberty with my Jetta wagon, on a MasterTow tow dolly without brakes from Virginia to Florida. No issues with stopping it. Just leave plenty of following distance.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
If going the dolly route, check the track width of the mini truck and dolly to see if the dolly will be narrow enough to match u with the truck wheels... And, if you've never used a dolly be aware of the limitations - no backing up, no sharp turns.

Yesterday I got done with the decking on my 5x8 and took it to go buy the lumber to make the sides. It did great! Pretty easy load, of course. These are PT 5/4 deck boards, three 12 footers and six 8 footers.

I ended up putting on a new axle, springs, hangers, and hubs as the ones that came with it were getting pretty rusty. I went with a square galvanized axle that has the spindles drilled to allow you to pump grease back behind the inner bearing and flush it out through the front. I don't plan on submerging the trailer, but being galvanized and filling the hubs with grease as these do should help combat the New England road salt.

I ordered the axle through Northern Tool. It was made by Tie Down Engineering (who recently sold their axle and brake business to Dexter) and when I received it I didn't get the spring perches that were supposed to come with it. I have got to say that my dealings with Northern and their utter lack of basic customer service in this instance make me think twice about ever dealing with them again.

I think the trailer will complement the Golf nicely.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Uhaul dollies have NO brakes. The 4-up trailers (Called an Auto Transport) do have brakes, but they will NOT rent it to you to put behind your Jetta or anything else that isn't an SUV because the trailer weighs over 2000 lbs EMPTY.

The thing about Uhauls is that you have to qualify the tow through their system, and that limits you to what their lawyers think every vehicle is capable of pulling and stopping. For a VW Jetta, the answer is their system thinks it is only capable of about 500 lbs of load after the overweight of their lightest trailer is considered.

I pulled a 4300 lb Jeep Liberty with my Jetta wagon, on a MasterTow tow dolly without brakes from Virginia to Florida. No issues with stopping it. Just leave plenty of following distance.

**Edit, I misread your post. I thought you said the dolly weighs 2k. But you meant the full sized trailer.

regarding the car, it will qualify. I've rented trailers that I've pulled with the Jetta from UHaul before. Including the full size. There's a pic in the tow thread

Regardless of the brakes, I'd still go with the dolly vs the full size trailer to have the load down low.

You're way off on the weight. I just checked and the dolly only weighs 750 lbs....

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, they are quoting me $302 for a dolly rental.
Eek! That's a lot more than my CT to PA trip. Then again you're going over a thousand miles!

Have you looked into uship? It's a bid site to have stuff shipped. Might be better in the long run, save you the trip and the wear on your vehicle.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Talk to your local moving companies too. There might be a partial load coming your direction and they could put your new toy on there.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

1) Flat tow the Subaru.

OR

What would you do?
I would never think about towing a car with a car with no trailer brakes through the 6%-8% grade roads in Denver. I've driven through there with just my car and have experienced brake fade going down an 8% grade.

If you are brazen enough to tow a car with a car without trailer brakes down a 6% grade, make sure to downshift into the lowest gear possible before going down the grade and don't use your brakes unless absolutely necessary (no riding the brake).

And most importantly, make sure to post the dates and roads you will be traveling so I can be sure to avoid them :D

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Easy for you to say when you're doing the backseat driving :D

It only took me once of losing brakes with a 7500 lb load to realize the importance of working trailer brakes.

And don't forget the weight of the trailer. I've loaded my 1200lb Kawasaki Mule onto my 5x8 trailer which weighs almost 800 lbs which I pulled once 20 miles with my Jetta because my Excursion was waiting for a new transmission. Can it do it? Sure. But on a 5x8 trailer, it's super top heavy and will tip easily. And I would not want to rely on the puny Jetta brakes stop me in an emergency braking situation going down 55mph+ on a significant grade. Not to mention it crawled going up a slight grade.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Easy for you to say when you're doing the backseat driving :D
It only took me once of losing brakes with a 7500 lb load to realize the importance of working trailer brakes.
And don't forget the weight of the trailer. I've loaded my 1200lb Kawasaki Mule onto my 5x8 trailer which weighs almost 800 lbs which I pulled once 20 miles with my Jetta because my Excursion was waiting for a new transmission. Can it do it? Sure. But on a 5x8 trailer, it's super top heavy and will tip easily. And I would not want to rely on the puny Jetta brakes stop me in an emergency braking situation going down 55mph+ on a significant grade. Not to mention it crawled going up a slight grade.
There's not any backseat driving going on here - He's pulled a MkIV from New England to Florida if I recall, over 6000lb gross.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I’ve towed cars and trucks long distance with enclosed trailer, flatbed, and dolly’s. My favorite is acme dolly by eze-tow with surge brakes. You need to pull driveshaft on suv’s But no big deal. These are so easy to tow you forget it’s there. Lots of RV’s use these for their toads.
Jeff

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Anybody get denied warranty coverage for putting a hitch on a DSG TDI?

Asked over at TDI 101 but didn't get many answers, thought I should ask here. Got a 2015 Golf TDI with DSG tranny and need to get a motorcycle and sidecar from Illinois to Florida, weight with trailer would be 1100-1200 pounds. Thinking of using easily removable wiring and a bike rack gives an alibi for the hitch in case I have to get any warranty repairs.

Question before I try this- Has anyone been denied warranty coverage for having a hitch on a DSG equiped TDI?