"Porsche Does Not Believe in Diesels"

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
It depends... Scandinavians drive really, really slow. 65-70, very relaxed - because speeding there is EXPENSIVE.
Germans drive 20 kph over the speed limit all the time, I hear... and on speed-limit-free autobahns they consider 110-120 mph a nice, relaxing cruise speed.
Any gasser will guzzle at speeds like that, so nearly every car in the left lane will be a diesel.

It is quite easy with a brand new low end BMW or MB to find yourself stuck in the passing lane as a faster car magically appears and needs to brake while you complete your pass while floored at the governed 116 or 126 mph, even in the 135 mph models. It's also a ticketable offense and many German drivers will take your plate number and report you if you're abusing the lane in their eyes.

I've never been stuck passing too long, but I've had a number of cars appear out of nowhere at over 150 mph and way above. Stop at one of the rest stops off the autobahn between Frankfurt and the direction of Austria/Switzerland and you will see, and hear, engines screaming at levels little different than a race track in most every weather/light condition. Amazing.

I spent a decade on the continent living in four different countries and the most remarkable thing road wise was how dramatically different each nations driving habits were. German autobahn driving was the best, few other nations drivers would be disciplined enough to pull off unlimited speeds on those stretches (fewer and fewer sections are unlimited each year by the way).

The difference between most every car in America and much of high-speed Europe? In America our wrecking yards are filled with rusted body's and widely available, pullable engines. In Europe, the opposite, very little rust and tired motors. (part of that are the "safety inspections" seemingly written by new car dealers in which, as in the Netherlands, a little bit of surface rust near a headlight will fail you - and don't even think about perforation anywhere...)

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
And the other Porsches are any different!? Read the title of this thread.

I believe that Porsche will offer a TDI, because they already do in the Cayenne. And putting one in a smaller package sounds great!
They might, but not in North America. It would be nothing short of amazing if Porsche offers any TDI in NA. The title of the thread doesn't mention the expensive, elite, niche brand reality of Porsche. With VW at the helm, things could change, but extremely unlikey for NA (like water in the Sahara, made of that elusive material... unobtainium!).

Subaru does way outsell Porsche in the US. Maybe it would have made sense for Subaru to sell the the boxer diesel here instead (now there is an idea!). There is a pretty extensive dealer network and lots of brand loyalty. :D

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
It is quite easy with a brand new low end BMW or MB to find yourself stuck in the passing lane as a faster car magically appears and needs to brake while you complete your pass while floored at the governed 116 or 126 mph, even in the 135 mph models. It's also a ticketable offense and many German drivers will take your plate number and report you if you're abusing the lane in their eyes.

I've never been stuck passing too long, but I've had a number of cars appear out of nowhere at over 150 mph and way above. Stop at one of the rest stops off the autobahn between Frankfurt and the direction of Austria/Switzerland and you will see, and hear, engines screaming at levels little different than a race track in most every weather/light condition. Amazing.

I spent a decade on the continent living in four different countries and the most remarkable thing road wise was how dramatically different each nations driving habits were. German autobahn driving was the best, few other nations drivers would be disciplined enough to pull off unlimited speeds on those stretches (fewer and fewer sections are unlimited each year by the way).

The difference between most every car in America and much of high-speed Europe? In America our wrecking yards are filled with rusted body's and widely available, pullable engines. In Europe, the opposite, very little rust and tired motors. (part of that are the "safety inspections" seemingly written by new car dealers in which, as in the Netherlands, a little bit of surface rust near a headlight will fail you - and don't even think about perforation anywhere...)
Indeed driving is DRAMATICALLY different in and between states. This is just a snap shot, but heading south from a major city here in CA I was going 80/85 in the #4/4 lanes. You would think I was going 40/45 on a 65 mph freeway!!?? I guess the real wake up call was I was passed by a CA Highway Patrol on a motor bike !!??

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I think the Porsche boss is out of his mind to make the statement he made. I also understand that to him, it isnt sensible to make a Porsche diesel. Thats fine. In my opinion, a company that makes dinosaur cars that took billions to perfect into modern cars, and should have simply built modern cars, cannot make statements like he made. Let me explain. the 911 base is a ridiculous design. However the Germans are masters at making silly designs work(look at the rotary, the g lader etc). A Porsche would not be a Porsche were it not a quirky oddly engineered machine. Certainly they could have designed a mainstream sensible super car, but it would not play to the ears of their primary audience. The Porsche cars are fantastic even if they are based on dinosaurs. So....moving forward, diesel technology is sensible for the Cayenne. It would even make sense for an ultra high torque super cars (like the R10tdi engine). It would give them a "green" vehicle which was still very fast and powerful...yet easy to drive as well.

Will they build diesels? Unlikely in the cars. And lets face it, unless there is a SERIOUS market for it, why would they? Porsche should stick to high dollar quirky cars because thats what made Porsche cars famous. Let Audi and the VW group make the more "affordable" sports cars and the more "sensible" ones. A company like Porsche can certainly overcome any emissions issues(they are an engineering firm after all). They can also build whatever the market wants...and the market wants high dollar quirky sports cars and overweight SUV's....so thats what they make.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It could be said that the Wankel and the G-lader both didn't work for the Germans. ;)

(The only reason the Wankel is around today is because of Mazda, whose closest connection to Germany is through Ford. Although, they did license the design from NSU, who ultimately became part of VAG, and after the NSU Ro80 and VW K70 failed, everything except for styling was promptly forgotten about. And, as for the scroll supercharger... not sure that anyone uses that now.)

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Mazda didnt get the rotary to work either? Know anything about the "never starts when you need it to Renesis"? The Germans got it to work.....not perfectly, but work. Remember the wankel was a supercharger ...not an engine. They then converted it. The G lader design is still in use as an air compressor.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Of course, I guess the wankel is successful as an engine that is expected to make 3 revolutions in its life, it's used as the seatbelt pretensioner in many VAG and Daimler products.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
And that sir, is an awesome piece of trivia.

I would have lost a beer betting against the VW or MB Wankel. Here is a bit more on the ToofTek Tensioner and the mini-combustion Wankel:

Perhaps the most exotic use of the Wankel design is in the seat belt pre-tensioner system[57] of some Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen cars. In these cars, when deceleration sensors sense a potential crash, small explosive cartridges are triggered electrically and the resulting pressurized gas feeds into tiny Wankel engines which rotate to take up the slack in the seat belt systems, anchoring the driver and passengers firmly in the seat before a collision

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And, IIRC, they debuted in the Mk4 Golf (including Jetta/Bora and New Beetle) for VW.

So, many people on this forum have a diesel-wankel car. :p

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
porsche wants to hold up gt racing world wide by continuing to offer the flat 6. 2 years ago they cried we cannot expand the 3.8 for more power. late 2010 appears the new 4.0 gt racer. as long as gt engine regs are set up around the performance of the ancient outdated flat engine there is no reason for porsche to actually offer a gt car in diesel or a vee design.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
There's nothing inherently wrong with a boxer-6 layout. In fact, it balances out better compared to any V-layout without resorting to the use of balance shafts and has a lower CoG and shorter, stiffer crankshaft than an inline-6.

Teams will always exploit the rules in order the gain the greatest competitive advantage. There's no technological limitation from a Diesel GT in (A)LMS nor an oil-burning boxer engine. There's just no scope for it in the current rules. That being said, the Diesel prototype class and the rules that came out of it 5 years ago did not just appear out of vacuum. Audi and Peugeot pitched the idea of a Diesel class to the ACO. If a Diesel GT- or Touring class gathers momentum with a few key teams, we will certainly see it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Journalists like it, apparently it's very good. However, people are not buying it in large quantities, because then you'd have to have a Subaru... which means you'll have to put up with a TINY dealer network.
That was my problem in the early 80's living in central Iowa. Few authorized Subaru mechanics and even fewer backyard mechanics that new how to work on them. It took me a month to get a new speedometer cable when mine broke. Good thing it was a standard and I knew where the tach should be for each gear to match the speed limits. I think it was two weeks for a clutch cable. Tranny rebuild at about 70K miles......

I looked at a new Subaru in 2005 and decided against it because the 2.5 engines all required premium. Sure it was posted at 25 IIRC but only with 90+ octane. Didn't make sense at the time to trade in a low mpg truck that ran on reg for a slightly higher mpg car that ran on premium. Cost of fuel differential probably made up for difference in mileage. I understand the 2010 and 2011 models now use regular.

Last edited:

Abismo

TDI
WRX :)
I looked at a new Subaru in 2005 and decided against it because the 2.5 engines all required premium. Sure it was posted at 25 IIRC but only with 90+ octane. Didn't make sense at the time to trade in a low mpg truck that ran on reg for a slightly higher mpg car that ran on premium. Cost of fuel differential probably made up for difference in mileage. I understand the 2010 and 2011 models now use regular.
2.5 turbocharged yes... all the N/a engines run on regular.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
This is the engine that Porsche should equip in the North American Cayenne TDI from the outset, completely bypassing the 240 HP V6. Otherwise, apart from the nameplate there's nothing of substance to differentiate it from the Touareg and Q7.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, the petrol V8s are their own, although the non-turbo version isn't really any more impressive than the T'reg's 4.2L to be honest. And the Cayenne isn't all that nice to drive anyways. If I had that much money to spend on a Porsche, it certainly wouldn't be a dolled up T'reg, that's for sure! But the brand means a lot to some folks. :p

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
V8 diesel power for range-topping Cayenne model

TDIMeister said:

Edit: Note to dumb*** Porsche of America: Put the 4.2 V8 TDI into the Cayenne.
Dr. Ing Porsche heard your complaint loud and clear

Has an uprated version of the V8 TDI from the Touareg and Audi A8/Q7.... 380hp/627 lb-ft.
Here's the beef

Engine Technology International said:
V8 diesel power for range-topping Cayenne model

Porsche has unveiled its most powerful Cayenne to date – and the surprising news is that the potent, upmarket SUV is driven by a reengineered diesel powerplant.

The Porsche Cayenne S Diesel, which will go on sale in most European markets early next year, benefits from a new 4.2-liter twinturbo V8 generating 382ps and 850Nm of power. The engine is a slightly detuned version from the one found in the Audi A8 range and it will sit above the current 3-liter diesel offering in the Cayenne lineup.

However, such massive torque output means that the S Diesel can sprint from 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds, and achieve a top speed of 157mph. Porsche says the latest addition to the Cayenne family offers fuel consumption of 34mpg on the NEDC and emissions of 218 g/km CO2. Aiding efficiency further is the use of an auto start/stop function, with Cayenne S Diesel being the world’s only V8 diesel SUV to offer such a technology.

Cayenne S Diesel will benefit from the Porsche Traction Management active all-wheel drive system, which delivers the dynamic qualities of a rear-wheel drive car, together with its inherent benefits in terms of handling and precision. Torque is directed to the front wheels precisely and according to the driving situation to improve stability and traction. The Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus package will also be made available as an added option.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Right. Porsche in Europe has done what should have been done from the beginning, while the North American subsidiary still has its HUA.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Right. Porsche in Europe has done what should have been done from the beginning, while the North American subsidiary still has its HUA.
It would cost a bunch of money to certify the V8 TDI for just 1 application. Fuel economy wouldn't be as impressive either, dropping down to something like 17/25 on the EPA test making it a tougher sell at nearly 70,000 starting point than the cheaper V6 TDI. From what I have read Porsche sells either mostly base Cayennes or the Turbos with the middle V8s not being too popular and the V8 TDI would fall into the middle that no one likes.

Earlier reports said that the A8 would get a 400+ hp version of the updated V8 TDI engine, somewhat of a letdown that it is only good for 380 unless Audi is saving a higher power version for itself?

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
There are no "passes" that let one certified vehicle apply to others from the group with the same engine. Each model and engine/powertrain combination would need to be certified separately just the same.

The added cost to the company is in training and logistics of stocking spare parts. The certification argument is a canard.