Why are my EGT's so high??

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
Ok. So with the mods in my sig, and nothing beyond the stock intercooler and the mufflerectomy, my EGT's climb so fast in any gear but first that I can't have any fun with my car! I realize I need a downpipe (that and a 3" all the way back will come soon), but I'm wondering if anyone out there with similar mods is having this happen. It is very frustrating having these mods and not being able to use them almost at all.... Thanks.

KROUT

persona non grata
Anything 1600 and lower is fine. What are yours going too. If they are higher than 1600 just have them remap with less fuel. Also what boost is your tune running?

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I can see 1600 in no time flat, and it's gotten to the point where I don't even put my foot in it out of fear I'll overshoot 1650 and damage my new turbo. Tune is running around 22 sustained, although I need to get a boostvalve as it will easily creep higher in 4th and 5th.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Your bigger downpipe etc. outta help to the tune of 100*F or so.

Only 22 PSI? Your turbo should handle more boost, correct?

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I was thinking the same thing on the downpipe, maybe a bit more with it 3 inch all the way back, but right now the temps just get so high so quick that It's barely driveable beyond Ms. Daisy territory....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you're not running any additional boost your EGTs might get very high. You need a proper tune that balances fuel and boost. You're also air restricted on the intake side and that makes a difference.

Finally, check your timing: If it's not advanced you can see high EGTs. Set it at 70 in block 2.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Oh, Q-loader. Duh. Didn't see that as a tune. I agree there's too much fuel in there. 22 PSI is a good max sustained boost for a 17, maybe 24.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I'll email Charlie pronto and see if he can get me a fuel reduced tune....The car will give a good puff of black smoke, and haze quite heavily the short period I can have my foot in it...

KROUT

persona non grata
If its not smoking alot its not over fueled. You may a restricted cat. I would get rid of the cat. But the temps should not be that high. Mine in the summer here would get to 1600 but not as fast as you describe. But I have free flowing exhaust and intake mods.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
It smokes quite a bit, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. The cat could be the culprit. I can certainly feel some pressure build-up at WOT, but never really thought of the cat...maybe I should go and have that removed right away and see what difference it makes. Any idea what a muffler shop would charge to remove the cat?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Definately do a good downpipe. You are probably overfueled...and there are ways to help that, but the quickest is a retune as was mentioned. Especially since you are smoking under acceleration. This is a good indicator. If you did the downpipe and big intake and associated air mods, you would have less smoke and less climb, but the short....no money answer is a retune.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Get a large bore straight downpipe with a decat. That's almost certainly what's causing the temps to rise so quickly. You need to get some air flowing through that engine a little better.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
BTW - I have one last PD130/150 intake manifold left in the for sale section which would be a good mod as well.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
You should do the whole downpipe. The cat may be the source of the restriction, but it is more often the flex pipe that is the culprit. So now, you have 2 items to replace. Why not just do a whole pipe and get it over with?

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
Well, I'm going to see if I can get the cat cut out tonight at a local muffler place and see what that does for my temps. A friend and i are currently working on a mandrel intake, so thank you for the offer, but I'll have to politely decline...thank you though. I'll post later with my results. Thanks for all the input guys.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
The plan is to do a new 2.5 downpipe and then have a 3 inch fabricated all the way back, but having my turbo blow a couple months ago kinda put me in a tight spot. The original plan was to free up the exhaust before the turbo upgrade. So in short, it's coming....

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Quickly reading all the posts in this thread I may have missed it but has anyone inquired as to whether the intake has been cleaned recently? And if not, maybe the OP should check to make sure his intake isn't all choked up with soot, resulting in less air going into the engine and possibly contributing to the higher EGT temps.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
The intake and all intake plumbing was thoroughly cleaned before the new turbo went in. I have a feeling all the oil going into the exhaust when the turbo blew probably has something to do with the cat being clogged... I just missed the muffler shop tonight on my way home, but will more than likely wait til the weekend now when I can drive out to a friends place who has access to a muffler shop.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
I suspect that unless your tuning is way out of whack, there is something wrong (cat would be a good place to start).

My ALH with GT1749VB at 23psi (no tune, just 3-bar map), PP520 (IQ at 2.0), TT downpipe/no cat/no muffler/2.5 pipe was max'ed out at 1150°F at 150km/h up a very steep hill. Obviously I was underfueled, but just wanted to throw a comparison out there.

By the way, the GT1749VB with no cat/muffler sounds absolutely heavenly :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sounds like you need two tunes: one now that will manage EGTs with your current setup, and one later that will deliver more fuel after you improve the intake and exhaust.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
cheeba said:
By the way, the GT1749VB with no cat/muffler sounds absolutely heavenly :D
Yes, I'm hoping that with the cat removed and a straight pipe all the way back I'll be able to hear that thing whistle! I used to be able to hear my 15, then it blew, and the minute I put the 17 in I couldn't hear anything. I'm now assuming my blown turbo and associated litre of oil down the downpipe must have spelt the end for my cat. I'm almost sure that once I get that removed I'll be back to livable temps..

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Where is the injection timing set? Retarded timing will really spike the temps, advance it to the 70/110 range or top of the green (not above or else you lose power). top of the green is good for about 5hp above the midrange based on dyno testing I did with highly modified TDI's.

DB

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
I have done the PP intake manifold, Euro R32 snorkle/lower airbox and 3" all the way back with a 3.5" cat. EGT's are acceptable but I can still peg 1600f at the track. Only solution was the Snow water/meth kit which has a nice power increase and drops EGT's by 250degF or so.

On the track I'm still able to hit 1600f using the Snow kit depending on how long the straight is and which type of corners are before the straight. I do back off right around 1500f to save the turbo but have touched 1600f once or twice . I can also shift to 4th and not use the entire go pedal which still give a nice pull on the straights but just isn't as egt intensive. My car smokes a little but not excessively. Mostly only when I gun it coming out of a corner with zero boost. I prefer to roll into the throttle though.

I vote for a downpipe and Snow Kit to get things under control.

Last edited: