Single mass flywheel on a PD

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
I have a clunk in my dual mass flywheel on my 2005 mk4 tdi. I have been debating on single mass vs dual mass as a replacement. I really want to put a single mass on it because of the reduced cost and increased simplicity (aka... never have to replace it again), however there seems to be alot indicating that the dual mass is a vibration dampener as well as making clutch engagement softer. I have heard many claims that going to a single mass on a driveline designed for a dual mass can cause accelerated vibrational wear, especially to the transmission. Is everyone in agreement with this? Has anybody here gone single mass on a PD TDI and observed several hundred thousand miles of service with one? If so... what say you?

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Sample size of one...
Switched from DMF at 87,000km/54,000mi; now have 245,000km/152,000mi on SMF conversion (Valeo) with no issues. I did get a 21lb flywheel - I imagine the greater violence of the ignition in diesels would not be so kind to very light flywheels - having mass there to soak it up seems a good idea to me. Great clutch feel in comparison with original clutch. To my ear, SMF is quiet - no rattle.

I've never heard anything about increased vibrational wear to the transmission from an SMF conversion.

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
Good information. I trolled the internet for days reading and found only conflicting information. Sometimes it is best just to ask.:)

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I have a clunk in my dual mass flywheel on my 2005 mk4 tdi. I have been debating on single mass vs dual mass as a replacement. I really want to put a single mass on it because of the reduced cost and increased simplicity (aka... never have to replace it again), however there seems to be alot indicating that the dual mass is a vibration dampener as well as making clutch engagement softer. I have heard many claims that going to a single mass on a driveline designed for a dual mass can cause accelerated vibrational wear, especially to the transmission. Is everyone in agreement with this? Has anybody here gone single mass on a PD TDI and observed several hundred thousand miles of service with one? If so... what say you?
Your stock flywheel has 13 years and however many miles. I would think a stock replacement would serve you just fine, no? By the time it's up for replacement you may be up for another vehicle.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
IDK about anyone else, but the DMF on my 2006 BRM was just horrid to drive. People would say that it's a Diesel so you have to drive it differently. Complete nonsense. I replaced the DMF with a SMF at 55K miles because the DMF was just a chore to drive in traffic.

I wish that the quite clutch was available back then but other than some gear jangle at idle, the SMF is a joy to drive. I'm at 188K miles total car mileage and the clutch has been bullet proof. I still have the DMF setup with 55K miles on it and would give it away to anyone that might want it.

Mine never made a clunking sound but driving it from day one was just horrible. If your DMF is making a clunking sound, it's probably on it's way to grenading which will probably punch a hole in your bell housing.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
SMF setup in your car will be totally fine. It'll drive as well if not better than a DMF and it won't wear any components any faster in your car.

However, if the car is stock you might also consider the LUK DMF kit 17-050. Very smooth and quiet, and inexpensive. It can't hold a lot of power, but for a stock or mildly tuned car it's fine. And it'll probably last for as long as you care to keep the car.

You have options.