2011 / 2012 / 2013 Audi A3 TDI w/DSG

velothree

TDI
None yet
There are some really good deals on these after the Dieselgate settlement and I'm considering purchasing one as a second car.

I know the DSG's are problematic, but if the trans fluid was changed on the recommended intervals, is it likely to be OK?

Any known issues I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Id hold out for a manual unless you really want an auto. They are drying up though.

Interestingly today a member who owned a 2011 DSG that now owns a 2014 DSG has reported a 300 rpm increase @ 75mph. He reports mpg differance.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
There is no such thing as an A3 TDI with a manual.

I don't think the DSG's are known to be problematic at all. Some people don't like the way they shift, but I think they are reliable and solid units that are built to last.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Not cheap but getting a DSG tune is worth it if you plan to drive it fast and/or do a tune.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Opps, I watch the a3 threads along with the JSW forum. I went CPO JSW for the 6m but would have prefered the a3 in manual. Im certainly not bagging on the a3 as it seems a nice vehicle but I was surprised at the trim level of the JSW.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
We have a 15 GSW M6.. thinking of jettisoning our 15 Chevy SS M6 for an A3 TDI.. looking at an A3 TDI for a commuter.. kinda hurts me to think of having roughly the same car only an auto. I absolutely love the GSW and am more attached to that than the SS. I could leave the SS for my wife to drive, just costs me a ton. thoughts?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
We have a 15 GSW M6.. thinking of jettisoning our 15 Chevy SS M6 for an A3 TDI.. looking at an A3 TDI for a commuter.. kinda hurts me to think of having roughly the same car only an auto. I absolutely love the GSW and am more attached to that than the SS. I could leave the SS for my wife to drive, just costs me a ton. thoughts?
The A3 is a nice package if you fit/like the seat.
The seat was my main complaint other than the seatbacks separating from the seat.
I put almost 50k miles on my 2012 prior to the buyback.
Woulda kept it but money talks...

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p

I don't think the DSG's are known to be problematic at all. Some people don't like the way they shift, but I think they are reliable and solid units that are built to last.
yea I freaking hate how aggressive the shifts are in my a3. Compared to the jetta tdi of the 2010 to 2013 years its very raw

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p
The A3 is a nice package if you fit/like the seat.
The seat was my main complaint other than the seatbacks separating from the seat.
I put almost 50k miles on my 2012 prior to the buyback.
Woulda kept it but money talks...
I have also re-glued my seat back three times already. do you have any recommendations for what you did to stick it back

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I drove an ‘09 JSW TDT 6MT for 400,000 miles and just gave it to my son since I found a great deal on an ‘11 TDI A3 Titanium Black Optics wagon.

Frankly I never even looked at them because I loved my 6MT so much.

But, I actually LOVE the S-Tronic in the A3. To each their own, I suppose. But I was very pleasantly surprised.

It came with both seat backs hanging on by a thread of what looked like silicon caulk LOL.

I cleaned that all off of the mounting plates and trim piece with a razor blade, mixed up some fast setting JB Weld (the Black and Yellow tubes) and used it to reattach the mounting plates to the seat back trim. Been solid so far.

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p
I drove an ‘09 JSW TDT 6MT for 400,000 miles and just gave it to my son since I found a great deal on an ‘11 TDI A3 Titanium Black Optics wagon.

Frankly I never even looked at them because I loved my 6MT so much.

But, I actually LOVE the S-Tronic in the A3. To each their own, I suppose. But I was very pleasantly surprised.

It came with both seat backs hanging on by a thread of what looked like silicon caulk LOL.

I cleaned that all off of the mounting plates and trim piece with a razor blade, mixed up some fast setting JB Weld (the Black and Yellow tubes) and used it to reattach the mounting plates to the seat back trim. Been solid so far.
I will definitely try some jb weld! also the shifting was improved to exactly my liking once I went stage 3 with Malone tuning which did include a DSG tune. A lot more decisive and the manual shifts are near instant. my only gripe with the car now is how tiny first gear is. its basically for 0-5mph before it goes to second. my transmission code is NJK so mabye gearing is different in other years.

stvns78

TDI
2013 Audi A3
I know this is an old thread but I have an A3 where the seat backs are coming off as well. I have tried command strips, liquid nails, tape, nothing seems to work. Would JB Weld be a permanent solution meaning I would never get the seat back covers off without breaking them or the seat? I am looking for a solution that will hold them but also be able to pry off the cover if needed. Any ideas?

stvns78

TDI
2013 Audi A3
what about a simple black self tapping screw with an attached washer... something like this:

pre-drill the hole and then you can just lightly secure it to the seat back/lip
Thought about this but I would prefer not drilling holes if can be avoided. Perhaps if i countersink it so it would be flush with the seat back that would look ok... But I would still prefer no screws

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I totally agree... I just think that vehicle trim screws are the only way to do it while keeping it removable.

If you look at how the seat back is secured to the seat panel, it's with glue. That leads me to believe that if you ever need to take the seat apart, then it's supposed to come off as one assembly.