Um, How Do I View the Odometer?

Nextwhat

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
OK, I consider myself of reasonable intelligence, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to view the odometer, rather than the trip odometer. I've tried the MDF stalk but to no avail...:confused:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Right side of dash just below the instruments there is a rectangular button embedded in the dash. Push it but don't hold it down. Holding it down resets the trip Odo.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
With the cruise control on, you should see the odometer every time the car comes to a stop. I think switching the cruise off turns the odometer on all the time. I'm not sure since I leave my cruise control on all the time.

Nextwhat

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
I figured it out. I didn't have the cc on. The manual doesn't specifically say the way to toggle between the trip odometer and regular odometer is to briefly press the square button below the speedometer.

kathorchid

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
Bless You!

OMG. I thought I was totally stupid. I toggled the various settings for the displays and didn't see anything that looked like an odometer reading. I read the manual and it was of zero use. I've reset the trip odometer a few times since getting the car, but I had no idea this was the same button to get the odometer. I'm going to try this as soon as I get back into the car. I've been worried about when to do my first oil change, and I had NO idea on the total km driven since I bought the car on May 3rd, 2011. Bless you for asking the question.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I must be missing something on this, couldn't you cycle through the MFD and and where you see the trip meter press the button on bottom of stalk to cycle between 1 and 2? 1 being trip miles and 2 being miles on tank? Or looking at total mileage on car? Guess I cycled using those dash buttons and left it back on the odometer.

Note* 2 - will reset completely though after 19h59m or a set mileage 1,XXX miles or 1,999.9 km (I'm lazy - don't want to do conversion :))

Last edited:

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Just answered my own question - maybe I am not so upset about *2 in MFD resetting after 19h59m - as when toggling with button on dash seems like a real trip meter.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Yes, there is a real trip on the dash. That's what I use for my mileage calculations. I did get some good info from the other thread as I didn't realize that I could use trip 2 for a whole tank. I thought they were both the same.