Smyth UTE - the MKIV Jetta/Golf Pickup Conversion kit is HERE!

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Conversion-kit-is-HERE!/page2&highlight=smyth

manual_tranny on vwvortex thread; said:
Friendly feedback appreciated! We have thought this one over for quite a while. We are not eliminating as much room as you might think, the inner fenders on the Jetta/Golf take up an enormous amount of space, and we're just keeping all the important stuff (like shock towers, and fuel tank emissions equipment) intact.

The objections to the teardrop fenders usually melt away when I explain that the teardrop is pointed towards the rear cab of the truck. In a year or so we will develop and manufacture a secondary roll bar that mounts behind the cab and allows 48" wide lumber etc to rest on the ramps (teardrop fenders) and above the cab for slow rides home from Home Depot. Many of the small to medium size sport ATVs will be able to ride up the ramps, (impossible with the VW shaped inner fenders).

Utility and style are always at the top of our list. We even keep the spare tire in the stock location under the removable bed aluminum.

Building off the vwvortex thread:

I would like for you guys to give your opinion on incorporating L-track or T-slot into the bed rails. My current F350 has T-slot attached to the inner bed rails that allow a sliding cargo gate, perfectly suited to hold back various sizes of cargo. This cargo retention flexibility has proven very useful for me!

Water proof/resistant storage is not so much a concern with my F350 crewcab, but is definitely a concern with the UTE conversion. I'm envisioning the above mentioned sliding cargo gate, as well as a sliding water proof/resistant cover that can be peeled back as needed using the above mentioned rails.

The ability to transport full 4'x8' sheets of goods is also desired, that's why I'd like for you guys to incorporate the rails into the design, because adding them to your current design would take away from the needed width.

The 5th wheel and trailer sound very interesting too.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Subscribed!!! This is awesome..

Wondering how many man-hours you figure to complete the project once we receive the kit?

Also would be great to make some kind of a removable, liftable & lockable cover that would cover the box so as to be able to lock things in there and also improve gas mileage... as well as the ability to have a rack for bikes, skis or sheets of plywood like Russ was saying ... Maybe look at Thule or yakima to see how you can incorporate their rack design into this

This is sooo cool...

Russ pls let me know when you get your kit.. I will go help you put it together... am seriously thinking about one as well after I see how yours turns out...

Great concert !! Keep up the good work !!

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
Pierre,
I read your criticism of the teardrop wheel wells. Take a look at the vortex thread, post #51. You see that large lumpy thing on the inside wall of the silver UTE? That's the wheel well and fuel system that Smyth and crew were trying to work with.

They could have just created a larger half circle well to cover that monstrosity, but it would look just ridiculous. After initially disliking the teardrop, I saw the potential utility in the slope and was pleased to hear that they purposely designed it with the utility I envisioned.

Back to my desires... being that there is only 49" between the rails, adding my desired sliding L-track/T-slot will leave me short of the necessary 48" plywood width. So I hope the track/slot can be incorporated into the design for future builds.

I too want to accomplish what your picture describes. I want covered/waterproof storage, a sliding cargo gate, ability to hold 4'x8' plywood sheets (whether sloped above the cab, or preferably lashed to rails as those bikes are).

Oh, anyone handy with photoshop willing to change the color of the truck pictures in post #47 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4583031&postcount=47) from black to white? Maybe with a pretend spray-in bed liner, over the rails. Thanks!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Subscribed as well - longing for a lil' truck.

Kirk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Pierre,
I read your criticism of the teardrop wheel wells. Take a look at the vortex thread, post #51. You see that large lumpy thing on the inside wall of the silver UTE? That's the wheel well and fuel system that Smyth and crew were trying to work with.

They could have just created a larger half circle well to cover that monstrosity, but it would look just ridiculous. After initially disliking the teardrop, I saw the potential utility in the slope and was pleased to hear that they purposely designed it with the utility I envisioned.
The original VW Rabbit Pickup had the fuel port in front of the wheels so it wasn't a factor plus, IIRC, it had 13" wheels thus smaller wheel wells.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Pierre,

Back to my desires... being that there is only 49" between the rails, adding my desired sliding L-track/T-slot will leave me short of the necessary 48" plywood width. So I hope the track/slot can be incorporated into the design for future builds.

I too want to accomplish what your picture describes. I want covered/waterproof storage, a sliding cargo gate, ability to hold 4'x8' plywood sheets (whether sloped above the cab, or preferably lashed to rails as those bikes are).

Oh, anyone handy with photoshop willing to change the color of the truck pictures in post #47 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4583031&postcount=47) from black to white? Maybe with a pretend spray-in bed liner, over the rails. Thanks!

Oh! I understand now... The fact is it does not really bother me that much because I will shoot to have a covered/waterproof / lockable lid and the tear drop will not really show... I carry tons of stuff in my trunk so I have to have a place which locks to hold my stuff. Also I really like to ability to mount a rack on top... It will make up for the fact that you do not quite get your 48" width ... yes you will be able to carry 4 x 8 plywood and drywall with the rack on top of the box :D... Anyway a great design and super cool project...

I will come help you with yours so I can decide if I can handle this kind project on mine... Totally beats getting an old caddy and trying to mount a TDI engine in it... Was getting bored with my Jetta... now I have a project to look forward to..

This guys here used a later model golf on his chop

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Pierre, you basically described my Jetta Wagon! :D

"I carry tons of stuff in my trunk so I have to have a place which locks to hold my stuff."

Back of wagon locks.

"Also I really like to ability to mount a rack on top... It will make up for the fact that you do not quite get your 48" width ... yes you will be able to carry 4 x 8 plywood and drywall with the rack on top of the box"

I have a rack on the roof.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
There's more than one way to skin a cat!

We choose to keep our stuff in the back AND to look cool doing it. ;)

manual_tranny

TDI
Quick update: thanks to the attention from Motor Trend, VWVortex, Autoblog, Truck Trend, and several other sites, we have already pre-sold many of these kits. The earliest we can deliver kits ordered today will be in November. If you were planning to make a deposit, there is a buy it now button on www.smythkitcars.com that will get you a place in line.

Cheers,

Mike

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
Info

Great Product !

If you want me to make a one piece acyrlic rear bubble window for more headrest room let me know...

Iam finishing the VW rabbit truck rear window in aircraft grade material

clear and solar grey, less cost and 100 % better visibility than oem

Ths window install with the stock seal from mk1autohaus

GB

N77GB@MSN.COM

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
1z mtdi dakota, alh jetta ute
anyone that has done this do you have pics of the interior I'm wondering how much space is in the cab after its done

manual_tranny

TDI
The conversion easily fits most humans up to 6'6" comfortably. The seat slides all the way back to the furthest stock position. Still a Jetta!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

snapped this photo when the ute crew stopped in sanford on the way back from sowo to check on Bob's G3F progress.... i'm 6" tall and the seat was too far for me to drive comfortably ;)

a lil' side view !

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
my question is would there be enough room to have my seat like this
Thanks

download the latest build manual from http://www.smythkitcars.com/#!/c1o
They have pictures to describe the sealing of the bed wall to the cabin. The rear wall is attached to the seat/footwell. Imagine where the rear seat bottom hinges forward. That is also where the rear wall will be. You should have plenty of room to position your seats as desired.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
In other words, the amount of knee space behind the front seats for the passengers hasn't changed a bit. After all, it is still a Jetta! :p

The conversion easily fits most humans up to 6'6" comfortably. The seat slides all the way back to the furthest stock position. Still a Jetta!