98 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon TDI Conversion.

Othermark

TDI
MK4 Jetta 03
Through family I have been passed the Audi wagon which is not in running anymore for various reasons. I really enjoy a TDI just for the basic three reasons, performance, longevity, and economy and I really like the Audi A6 with its space and rear viewing 3rd row. Since I got this thing for nothing I was wondering would it even be worth converting? I would really like to swap this thing over to a manual Quattro with a TDI power plant but I don't know where to start. First things first. Getting all other systems to function properly.

Right now the car has the following issues.

- Leaks coolant
- Power steering is going out
- Sun roof does not operate.
- Front windshield is smashed in
- Half the dash does not light up
- Stereo system is locked
- Front end bumper is coming off

Second, what parts do I need to locate in order to convert this A6 Quattro in a manual TDI?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Through family I have been passed the Audi wagon which is not in running anymore for various reasons. I really enjoy a TDI just for the basic three reasons, performance, longevity, and economy and I really like the Audi A6 with its space and rear viewing 3rd row. Since I got this thing for nothing I was wondering would it even be worth converting? I would really like to swap this thing over to a manual Quattro with a TDI power plant but I don't know where to start. First things first. Getting all other systems to function properly.

Right now the car has the following issues.

- Leaks coolant
- Power steering is going out
- Sun roof does not operate.
- Front windshield is smashed in
- Half the dash does not light up
- Stereo system is locked
- Front end bumper is coming off

Second, what parts do I need to locate in order to convert this A6 Quattro in a manual TDI?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark
A TDI swap isn't going to fix any of the thing you mentioned.. Might want to consider another host.

Is yours a C4 or C5?

As far as the swap goes you will need:

Engine
Transmission
Clutch
Mounts
Driveaxles
Wiring harnesses
Computers
Lots of time
Fuel tank and lines
engine accessories etc.

Othermark

TDI
MK4 Jetta 03
The car is a C4 wagon. I kinda figured the majority of the problems are unrelated to a swap. I was more interested in knowing what engine and transmission should I be looking for in order to do the swap. That is assuming the swap is even feasible.

Last edited:

ecodiesel1

TDI
97 Jetta
Hey,

So did you ever do the swap? I don't have anything yet, but this is the exact swap I have been pondering for a little while. I have been hoping that someone would plow into the back of my mk3 TDI so I can use it as a donor... but no luck. Anyway, if you did it or are still looking to, we should talk.

-Nando

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
I recently picked up an 04 Audi allroad. 2.7t BEL with a bad ZF hp19 trans.
Motor runs great for now and overall the car is in great shape. Other than a timing belt svc and a upper reseal along with all the usual repairs needed on a car with 94k miles she's good to go.
Plans are for an 01E TDI 6 spd trans swap using a wavetrac front diff. and retaining the cooler. Been pricing parts from Frans and Scotty@Advanced Automotion.
After the trans conversion I plan to run it until I can locate a decent TDI motor and all the needed pieces for the diesel conversion.
The 2.5L euro TDI seems like the motor of choice but maybe the euro 2.7TDI from a late model A6 might make sense. I'll need a lot of stuff from the donar car so maybe buying a whole wreck and having someone dismantle it might make sense. With the restrictive import rules here in the US the motor will have to be broken down into parts but thats ok because I'd probably do it anyway.
Anyone have first hand experience with the euro 2.7TDI?

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
I have a '94 100CSQ Avant (C4) with a pre-OBDII AAH V6 and 4HP18FLA electronic auto. Any chance that I can swap in an ALH and get the ECU to properly communicate with this trans ECU? These are a really nice chassis and unfortunately they weren't offered with the AEL engines over here in the states.

DangerBoy

TDI
2010 BMW X5 35d, 1997 A6 Wagon AEL 2.5L TDI quattro 01E Six Speed Manual (Salvaged 2018)
The swap is possible, but I would like to also say what Scott said: You will need lots of time. I had a complete running C4 TDI sedan as a donor for my C4 Wagon and you would think that swap would be a breeze right? I mean, both cars are C4, not much work...

Prepare to remove the entire drivetrain, fuel system, interior, HVAC system (The V6 uses totally different AC system lines and routing than the 5 Cylinder).

Then there is the wiring, if you want to do a nice job you better feel comfortable with pulling both the engine and intrument main harnesses out and completely going through them. Not a big deal but time consuming to do properly. There might be a quick and dirty way to do such a swap, but I didn't go that way and I imagine you would have no end of future problems if you did. There is a reason most people don't finish their swaps... if the idea is to save money, which is why most people drive diesels, swapping is not the best way to achieve this goal IMHO. Just get a Jetta or Golf and put good tires on it, or import a quattro TDI.

Only go for the swap if you truly love the car and love the project so much that money doesn't matter all that much. Just my opinion of course. I'll be singing a happier tune once I'm finished mine I'm sure.

Dave

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
I've completely stripped a C4 twin to my car, so I'm pretty familiar with how they're constructed. I briefly considered swapping the AAH into my van, so I dissected the engine management wiring harness and peripherals before abandoning that plan in favor of an ALH swap. You're right it is a big job, and I still need to finish my van project, but...it's fun to dream

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
I would recommend the 5 cyl inline TDI quattro setup for the C4.