VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
@halbert
Never mind he naysayers, I would file the appeal. Your PA certificate of salvage is rebuildable in your state. The language in the report states folks in your situation can currently hold a salvage rebuilt or salvage. Additionally, your current PA certificate *isn’t* an equivalent brand denoting that the vehicle can never be rebuilt or repaired. Good luck!
Does anyone have the address/info needed to file an appeal? No surprise, there isn't a word in the offer letter about how to file an appeal?

mirtdi

TDI
10 Jetta
cars

Or he can fix them and sell at profit as many re-builders have done over the years and will continue to do so. These are great cars that get exceptional gas mileage, with so many being crushed once all the dust clears will be sought after in the future.

Many people do not like that others have profited on this, if everyone had the funds to do so, pretty sure they would have done so as well. Vw profited on these cars despite advising the public these where clean, deliberately altering the software to run in emissions mode on a dyno. I will not be giving them any sympathy if others profit in a settlement that they agreed to so quick as to not incur more legal fees among other things in my opinion. Poor little vw has to pay what they agreed to in the first place, really enough already. They are the biggest auto manufacturer in the world, they can afford it and need to do the right thing not drag out any longer.

Unfortunately Halbert and others who have a car with accident history are stuck until they can go over the paperwork, all it was to slow pay ensure more cars were not rebuilt. Why they didnt buy all the cars from the insured parties if in an accident or at auction is a mystery to me. Anyways glad this has been for this time settled, lets see what other tricks that they pull on turn in or later this year.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Based on the discussions in this thread alone it's becoming clear to me why VW is taking their time to process these vehicles and I don't think it's nefarious in any way.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Many people do not like that others have profited on this, if everyone had the funds to do so, pretty sure they would have done so as well.
It was pretty obvious that the generation one 3.0 was going to get bought back, and they were still cheap up until a few weeks before the announcement. I had the money to invest and decided not to jump in because it still seemed risky and I have learned I am a risk averse investor at heart. I have no ill will toward people who profited, but those people have to understand that this was not a risk free venture.

Brica

TDI
Passat
Anybody got any idea when Vw supposed to start buying rebuild titles.
I call claim number and still no time frame.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
It was pretty obvious that the generation one 3.0 was going to get bought back, and they were still cheap up until a few weeks before the announcement. I had the money to invest and decided not to jump in because it still seemed risky and I have learned I am a risk averse investor at heart. I have no ill will toward people who profited, but those people have to understand that this was not a risk free venture.
CPRT stock price seems to be doing quite well. ;)

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Anybody got any idea when Vw supposed to start buying rebuild titles.
I call claim number and still no time frame.
It is a good question Brica.

To say VW did not hire the best and brightest is an understatement. I feel as though they went with low bid for anyone in Detroit that needed a job. Everytime I call I get nothing but frustration as the hired help there is clueless.

I have not gotten any documents from VW since the salvage claims were unfrozen two weeks ago.

VW has violated all their internal deadlines of 1st 10 days and 2nd 10 days for most of my claims (clean titles) so I would not be surprised if they also miss their 'early May' deadline for these.

I do not know if it is incompetence or willful that VW pushes out these claims. My guess is the latter.

Old Chief

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2012 Jetta, 2012 Passat
One Rebuilt Accepted

One rebuilt title has been accepted. Now doing the notary part, then scheduling the turn-in. Also 2 clean titles were accepted this past week.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
One rebuilt title has been accepted. Now doing the notary part, then scheduling the turn-in. Also 2 clean titles were accepted this past week.
Excellent, 2.0 or 3.0? When did you first submit?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
As I was writing the appeal letter, I looked again at the offer letter--that was delivered by FedEx on Friday March 9--and noted that the letter was written on December 17, 2016!

Just how far is their arrogance going to go? So they prepare what may be an incorrect offer letter 2 months before a report is published that lays out their plan--send the letter shortly after the plan is released, and assume that I haven't read the report? I wonder how many people are going to get caught in this little game?

So the appeal letter is going out, US Mail, return receipt request, tomorrow. We'll see what happens next.

mrahul

TDI
"Vehicle value" + "restitution" = "buyback". I write that because the FTC tables use that term with restitution included. I'm not sure why they're not offering him vehicle value. According to the below this person can get the fix or turn in for vehicle value.

Page 40 of the Feb 2018 claims supervisor report... https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...uary-2018-Report-of-the-Claims-Supervisor.pdf
(iii) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a branded title and had a “salvage rebuilt” or equivalent title as of February 26, 2018, are potentially eligible for Vehicle Value if all other eligibility requirements are met. If the previous owner of the vehicle does not submit a claim for Owner Restitution by the September 1, 2018 claim filing deadline, the consumer also may be eligible to receive Owner Restitution in addition to Vehicle Value.

Also footnote 35 on same page... "have the option of electing an AEM."

I'm also assuming for California that iii means Owners of used vehicles that were purchase at an auction lot and received a salvage certificate and had a branded title on Feb 26... In California your title gets branded "salvage" if you restored a wrecked car that came with a bill of sale and a salvage certificate. A branded title with the brand "salvage" in Ca means it's running, licensed, inspected, registered, and driving on roads.
Does the Feb 26, 2018 cut off date apply to 2.0 or 3.0 or both? The reason I ask is because, any 3.0 had to have a rebuilt title to be bought back. They could not be returned with a salvage title. That was a change in the definition of eligible car from the 2.0 language. So am wondering if the new cut off date was added to the 3.0 too.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Got a Email From VW

Got an Email on the Rebuilt Car that is not eligible to participate, will appeal because it has rebuilt title , but it looks like VW people dont know the difference between salvage and rebuilt title.

Dear xxxx xxxxxx:

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.

Your request must include the following information:

Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Wouldn't it be nice if VW wrote which part of the settlement people's claims are not compliant to. Just a blanket statement "vehicle not eligible" seems almost childish.

Brica

TDI
Passat
I have 3 cars not eligible
One was not registered between 2015 and 2016
one was open lease in 2016
One has a rebuild title before 2015

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Will find out next week , I did send the appeal. This one was rebuilt 3/3/2017 no lease , no previous accidents , one owner .

xcdhracer15

Veteran Member
TDI
99 audi a4 ahu, 02 dmax twin turbo
submitted proof of operability per phone discussion with claims rep

this included 10+ pages of receipts and a NH state official inspection completed by a state trooper.

submitted this yesterday, today it gets rejected and am told to contact claims agent. Tonight talking to claims representative on portal through chat they want proof of operability between the dates of 6/3/2016 and 6/28/2016. Her example was a parking ticket with the VIN or receipt for service with the VIN.

anyone else getting this run around ?

:
==> Due to the branded title the proof of vehicle operability document during the specified dates is required to show the vehicle's eligibility.

Last edited:

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
It seem like they will do that to all of us, with some BS documents requirements so get ready to to get majorly herrast everyone, with Rebuilt and Clean titles with salvage history.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Talked to Phynogen tonight at 9 pm,he told me it was a leased car , so at least that answers that question , why it was rejected.

Last edited:

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I would assume so, I do not know 100% hopefully they will provide some kind a proof as well , since I bought it used on the auction..

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I would assume so, I do not know 100% hopefully they will provide some kind a proof as well , since I bought it used on the auction..
They will not provide you with any proof. I had exact same situation with a clean title car. It was a 2014 model as well.

It was rejected for vehicle not eligible. I called and a super helpful rep called me back in the evening with following information - vehicle was leased through VW at the time of the scandal. Leasee chose to end the lease early and collected some money from VW. Then dealer somehow got the title from VW and it was before there was a fix available so I purchased it thinking car is good to go. Ended up selling it at the auction for someone else to deal with it.

I also purchased 2 more cars from VW dealers that were in same exact situation, but they were not able to produce a title and took the cars back after 2 months of waiting.