Low voltage???

2Dambad

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Today I got a low voltage warning, not from my 2005 Jetta, from my radar detector (built in low voltage warning). This occured twice when waiting for the glow plugs to warm up, it went away when the car started, and didnt come back when the car was warm. Should I start trying to find a new battery, or is this just something that will happen when it is cold?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The glow plugs put quite a load on the battery when they cycle. Unless you are having starting issues or your car is telling you something is wrong, I wouldn't worry about it.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I agree with green. The glowplugs are drawing a lot of current, the battery is cold and putting less out. If you are making a lot of short trips, then you may want to consider doing a few longer trips or doing a little charging.

That said, it could also be the first indication of a battery ageing. It would seem that it is a little early for battery problems, but they do happen. I would continue to watch it and maybe have someone do a load test on it.

If you have a good voltage meter, you can check the voltage at the battery after the car is warm. You should get something between about 14.2 and 14.4. If you are below 13.5 I would have it checked.

2Dambad

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Thanks to both of you who responded. Normally, the car is driven 40 miles one way to work, but this week, the car and I are both setting at home. I will throw a volt meter on it later today if I decide to go anywhere.