Is B4 Cruise Control Fused???

Bapu

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Hi again Guys... Is the Cruise on the B4 Passat Fused? OWNERS MANUAL...... says it IS and is a 5A fuse above the relay panel... I know this is a generic manual for all the B4's SO.... I can't find a fuse above the relay panel except a 10A i think... Does it exist? I got a Vag-Com and in block 6 see the Switch tests and all... Brake and clutch switches work fine, but the other stalk switches register NOTHING. ALSO the "Cruise control present?" field registers no change no matter what I do. Am I on the right track here? Also the speed sensor seems to work fine! Thanks SO much for you help all!

Cheers,

Barry

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Cruise control is not fused. The manual is referring to the gasoline engine version, which has a separate and distinct "module" for the cruise control. On the TDI models, it's simply built into the engine control ECU.

You've probably got a bad stalk switch or a broken wire leading to the switch. It's not uncommon ...

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
The cruise control circuit may not be separately fused, but it is tied into one of the auxillary power circuits. It is on the same circuit as the heated seats if you have them and your back-up lamps. I have an intermittent short in my passenger side seat heater and can tell if someone's been playing with the switch because the cruise stops working.

If the fuse is blown (Bentley says it's fuse #14, 10 amps) check for a blown back-up bulb. That can sometimes do it.

Rick

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
My Cruise Control stopped working and a friend connected a VAG-COM interface and we looked at the pedal sensors and there are three bits: 1 0 0 with no pedal pressed. If I press the clutch there is no change if I press the brake pedal the group changes into 1 1 1. I guess my clutch pedal sensor (switch) needs recalibration and/or replacing?
Thank you.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Sounds like it to me. Take it out and test it (ohms with it open and closed) then, if bad, replace, if not bad, clean contacts/plugs and replace.

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
Faulty switch. There's nothing to calibrate on these but unlike most VW parts they're relatively cheap to replace.

Rick