If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Mazda CX-5 Diesel

For those looking for a replacement, you may want to consider the redesigned 2017 Mazda CX-5 AWD diesel. Yes, they are bringing the 2.2L Sky Activ diesel to the US in 2017. the Aussie CX-5 diesel is boasting 46 mpg.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
So that means they have fixed the "zoom-zoom" requirement and the oil blow by issues?

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
For those looking for a replacement, you may want to consider the redesigned 2017 Mazda CX-5 AWD diesel. Yes, they are bringing the 2.2L Sky Activ diesel to the US in 2017. the Aussie CX-5 diesel is boasting 46 mpg.
I'd really like to wait for this, but the JSW is being turned in next month. I asked the local Mazda dealership, and they said "next year" :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd really like to wait for this, but the JSW is being turned in next month. I asked the local Mazda dealership, and they said "next year" :(
Don't make the assumption that dealer employees know anything. ;) Articles I've read, including a piece in the current issue of Car & Driver, say it will be available in the fall as a 2018. So the dealer employee may technically be correct, but I bet you'll see them before year's end.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Figuring the cost for electricity on the Volt is pretty easy. It's a 18.4kWh battery, so figure if you run it to flat every time you'll need about 20kWh to fill it up. Multiply that by your cost for electricity then divide by your range on the battery and you'll get your energy cost/mile. If I had a new one here the math would look like this:

20 kW * $0.12/kW = $2.40/charge
$2.40 charge / 54 miles = $0.044/mile in electricity

For comparison if we do the math with a Prius (numbers from Fuelly and GasBuddy):

$2.73/gallon / 52 MPG = $0.0525/mile in gasoline

Or if we pick the average new car:

$2.73/gallon / 25.5 MPG = $0.107/mile in gasoline

Of course if your energy company offers time of use plans, or if you have solar, or if your employer provides charging, that can tip the energy cost for an EV much lower. There's even one Texas utility that offers free electricity at night.
Thanks

Go job on your detailed comparisons

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
do you know which trim, packages you're getting? are the dealers out there offering ANYTHING off MSRP?
Matters not which car you buy

I (mostly) do not buy locally, because they think they have a captive buyer.

Shopping many out of town dealers, will give you a shot at a BIGGER selection of cars, and better prices.

For the most part, you can have them deliver it to your drive way. I do

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Matters not which car you buy

I (mostly) do not buy locally, because they think they have a captive buyer.

Shopping many out of town dealers, will give you a shot at a BIGGER selection of cars, and better prices.

unfortunately, NOBODY anywhere I've inquired, up to 150 miles into the desert, are offering any deals on this car. It's too new, and they seem to be banking a lot on forcing us to believe it's "heavily in demand".
At this point, I've picked a few VIN #'s and am watching how long they stay on each lot. Other than that, they aren't dealing (but if I wanted a Forte, $3000 off MSRP is the starting point).

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
unfortunately, NOBODY anywhere I've inquired, up to 150 miles into the desert, are offering any deals on this car. It's too new, and they seem to be banking a lot on forcing us to believe it's "heavily in demand".
At this point, I've picked a few VIN #'s and am watching how long they stay on each lot. Other than that, they aren't dealing (but if I wanted a Forte, $3000 off MSRP is the starting point).
Just did a search (no limit on miles) via cars.com

Found (approx) 8-11 % off of MSRP on NITO.

TRIM level was naturally on the cheap ones

Farthest distance I every bought a car was ~ 378(?) miles, ~~ had it delivered to drive way ~~ my 2015 VW TDi Golf (S) DSG

My local dealer had squat for selection ~~ and was 'bout $3000 on the high side.

Even today he has one (1) 2017 Golf in his inventory ~~ may have 'bout 30 Jetta

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Figuring the cost for electricity on the Volt is pretty easy. It's a 18.4kWh battery, so figure if you run it to flat every time you'll need about 20kWh to fill it up. Multiply that by your cost for electricity then divide by your range on the battery and you'll get your energy cost/mile.

The Volt does not use nearly all of its battery.

Full charge is purposely less than 100% and "empty" is purposely above 0% (this is to increase the life-span of the battery).

Generally, you will do most of your living in the middle 80% of the battery.

Also, you have conversion losses in charging, going from AC house current to DC in the on-board charger. This loss depends on the charge rate, as well.

I am currently averaging 5.1 miles per kWh. Figure a 10% charging loss and I am spending about 1.85 cents per mile for electricity (with the less efficient Gen 1 - a 2015).

Tim

Last edited:

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
How do they handle the test drive before you buy? After the test drive experience I had a bunch of years ago (electrical wiring started to burn during the test drive.. with <6 miles on its clock), I won't buy a car I haven't test driven first.

friedduck

TDI
'15 GSW
Put a downpayment on a '17 Outback today. Thanks for everyone's help. Checked out VWs, Audis, Lexus NX200, a Macan S, and who knows what else. I'll miss the greater economy, and the torquey nature of the TDI.

I get as close as I could to a wagon and some of its utility. Great noise isolation, nice interior, good-if-not-great power (3.6l, not the 2.5), and tons of utility.

I honestly would've bought a Q5 diesel if they were around to be had, or Mazda's if they'd bring it over. Anyway it was fun shopping & hearing about others' adventures.

Jeff

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just did a search (no limit on miles) via cars.com
Found (approx) 8-11 % off of MSRP on NITO.
TRIM level was naturally on the cheap ones
Farthest distance I every bought a car was ~ 378(?) miles, ~~ had it delivered to drive way ~~ my 2015 VW TDi Golf (S) DSG
My local dealer had squat for selection ~~ and was 'bout $3000 on the high side.
Even today he has one (1) 2017 Golf in his inventory ~~ may have 'bout 30 Jetta
Thanks. I'm thinking Oklahoma might be a little far to drive :)
Southern California, being a hybrid-hotbed, seems to be more stingy. There's a chance Costco may have the best price - dealer invoice minus $500, but it's not easy finding that info even. Truecar gave no incentives, nor did edmunds.
PS - i'm fiddling with cars.com - don't see where an 8 to 11% discount is realized, unless it's lease cash

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I road trip to buy vehicles all the time; thats how you get deals... here the markets are too hot for me.. My first was from Flordia when someone totaled a base model, insurance bought me a fully loaded replacement.. Then when my wife and I were dating our first trip was 1k miles out to Detroit buy me a car, then later I got her one was from Huston to get her a 6MT CPO that was about impossible to find.
Here in 2 weeks I fly out to Oklahoma to get my next one.. this will be a short 700 mile journey and I'm getting a fully loaded vehicle for less than the base model I test drove at a local dealer.

Road trips are fun; espically in a brand new (to you) vehicle.. you get to know your new machine quite well listening to it run for hours..

just a tip though; take a ice scraper with you this time of year.. or buy one once you hit the ground asap :D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How do they handle the test drive before you buy? After the test drive experience I had a bunch of years ago (electrical wiring started to burn during the test drive.. with <6 miles on its clock), I won't buy a car I haven't test driven first.
I guess I have been lucky ~~ then there is the warranty to fall back on, if there IS a problem

Last 3 new cars I did it "long distance." ~~ Never having tested it. ~~ Our Camry, her RAV4 LIMITED, my VW Golf TDi ~~ All good to go.

I will concede I was helping my MIL buy a Buick 'bout 35 years ago. ~~ Sure enough there was a major problem with something (tranny?)

The ol' girl was wanting to let them "fix" it. I did not. She balked. I threatened to pull out of the negotiations.

In the end (we-she) went to another dealership. ~~ May have saved 'bout $145 with a different car.

If the "buyer" is not in charge ~~ the seller is:eek:

-----------------------------------

When negotiating, they seem to always ask if I want ot come in and "test drive it"

My stock retort is ~~ Why? Is there something wrong with it? :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Put a downpayment on a '17 Outback today. Thanks for everyone's help. Checked out VWs, Audis, Lexus NX200, a Macan S, and who knows what else. I'll miss the greater economy, and the torquey nature of the TDI.

I get as close as I could to a wagon and some of its utility. Great noise isolation, nice interior, good-if-not-great power (3.6l, not the 2.5), and tons of utility.

I honestly would've bought a Q5 diesel if they were around to be had, or Mazda's if they'd bring it over. Anyway it was fun shopping & hearing about others' adventures.

Jeff
Good luck with your Subie.

I had a brand new Q5 for a rental last week. Picked it up with about 1700 miles on it and dropped it off at about 2300. Really nice riding SUV and liked most of the layout. The Audi infortainment center would take some getting used to. Not the most user friendly but also not the worst. Cruising across northwestern Iowa returned about 22 mpg, accroding to the car. I could get used to driving something like that but know my wife is leaning towards a three row beast. Got to have room for the granddaughter.

Last edited:

friedduck

TDI
'15 GSW
Good luck with your Subie.

I had a brand new Q5 for a rental last week. Picked it up with about 1700 miles on it and dropped it off at about 2300. Really nice riding SUV and liked most of the layout. The Audi infortainment center would take some getting used to. Not the most user friendly but also not the worst. Cruising across northwestern Iowa returned about 22 mpg, accroding to the car. I could get used to driving something like that but know my wife is leaning towards a three row beast. Got to have room for the granddaughter.
Thanks. Q5 was my other favorite. There are still a few used Q7 diesels around Atlanta for anyone interested. Seems like an awesome pick if you need 3 rows.

Cheers, Jeff

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
I bought my '15 Convert Beetle TDI about two and a half weeks before the scandal broke. I get back almost what I paid. It's not nearly as good of a deal as for some people who bought a used vehicle. But it's not bad!

I love her, still undecided if I'll do the mod or sell her back. My husband wants to keep her. He enjoys driving her. He has a 2500hd Silverado Diesel with a full crew cab. He finds it nice to "zip" around. ? Leading choice for replacement is either a 17 MINI Countryman or a '17 MINI Convertible. Just not sure if I want to give up having a convertible again. I'll enjoy my Beetle through the summer at least, if not all the way to September 2018!

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I bought my '15 Convert Beetle TDI about two and a half weeks before the scandal broke. I get back almost what I paid. It's not nearly as good of a deal as for some people who bought a used vehicle. But it's not bad!
I love her, still undecided if I'll do the mod or sell her back. My husband wants to keep her. He enjoys driving her. He has a 2500hd Silverado Diesel with a full crew cab. He finds it nice to "zip" around. &#55357;&#56900; Leading choice for replacement is either a 17 MINI Countryman or a '17 MINI Convertible. Just not sure if I want to give up having a convertible again. I'll enjoy my Beetle through the summer at least, if not all the way to September 2018!
Didn't know the Beetle convertible came as TDI, wonder how valuable it will be in a couple of years.

Also, I would stay away from the anything Mini.

Last edited:
TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen S TDI
I test drove the 2017 VW GTI Sport 4 door version yesterday. Good MPG and very spacious inside. I have looked at the Passat R Line too/ cheaper but still prefer the GTI. The 2018 GTI will carry more HP and Audi electronics thrown into it.All in all I think after months of research both in function and fashion it'll be the 2017 4 door Sport GTI.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I test drove the 2017 VW GTI Sport 4 door version yesterday. Good MPG and very spacious inside. I have looked at the Passat R Line too/ cheaper but still prefer the GTI. The 2018 GTI will carry more HP and Audi electronics thrown into it.All in all I think after months of research both in function and fashion it'll be the 2017 4 door Sport GTI.
I test drove a 17 GTI as well (Autobahn, I wanted leather). It was a pretty amazing car honestly. Fun, powerful, thrifty, and really well appointed/laid out interior.
It was my first choice; unfortunately I couldn't get any of 3 VW dealers near me in the DC area to work with me on getting the one I wanted (even though there were 4 available in DC area...). I actually found BMW dealers more accommodating than VW dealers; it was really pretty sad.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I just bought a JKU Sahara, I LOVE IT!! A far cry from our TDI's. I love what I drive again.
:D

I love that you love your Jeep!!

I can say, it isn't a Jeep - but I do enjoy driving my Tuscon. I can drive down the driveway and not worry about ripping the oil pan cover off now! LOL

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
:D
I love that you love your Jeep!!
I can say, it isn't a Jeep - but I do enjoy driving my Tuscon. I can drive down the driveway and not worry about ripping the oil pan cover off now! LOL
Awe, thank you UNsweet! LOL, so glad you're enjoying your Tuscon. It's nice sitting up higher again, I missed that.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I test drove a 17 GTI as well (Autobahn, I wanted leather). It was a pretty amazing car honestly. Fun, powerful, thrifty, and really well appointed/laid out interior.
It was my first choice; unfortunately I couldn't get any of 3 VW dealers near me in the DC area to work with me on getting the one I wanted (even though there were 4 available in DC area...). I actually found BMW dealers more accommodating than VW dealers; it was really pretty sad.
I went in to the dealer where we are returning our JSW to, two weeks ago. Asked their sales dude to see if he could find a used, Golf wagon, specific trim and features, and call me ASAP before we bought something else (aka soon). He said they didn't have anything, but he'd poke around online, etc. and call me. I walked thru their lot to my parked car, and literally passed a car that would make the list.
Haven't heard a peep.
VW FTW! lol. losers.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
I'm sticking with VW. I'll be replacing my 09 Jetta with a very clean 04 Passat TDI that has a 6 speed manual conversion. It will primarily be a highway car for business. As for the wife's Touareg, we'll be replacing that with a 2018 LWB Tiguan later this Summer, also for business. Hanging on to my 2000 NB TDI for non-business driving (382 K miles). She will have an 98 RAV 4 for local stuff.