Trusted PEI mechanic needed

TDI
2000 Jetta
im haveing some troubles with what appears to be my injector pump.. or timing.. or something that appears to be a long these lines.. car has great difficulty starting cold and smokes a lot when it does start.. smoke goes away momentairly though. other members in the tdi 101 section referred me here to see who the best person for me to go see really is. its currently at the VW dealership in the hands of clarence. he seems like a very good guy i just want to make sure as im a student i really dont have time and especially money to waste. any referals/ ideas for my problem are greatly appreciated, also if it helps you can see my problem in full context in the tdi 101 section under the heading "injector pump good or bad?" thanks for your time
sorry forgot to mention, there is also a small lack of power and another note is starting when hot is very easy

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Clarence is a great fellow who has worked on my car several times. Browns are not out to gouge you but their labour rate like most other dealers is quite high.

I also have a fair bit of work done at Wendell Taylors (Taylor's Garage) across the bridge in Stratford. They always have a yard full of VWs and their labour rate obviously is much less than the dealer. Either Browns or Taylors are the only two places in Charlottetown are that I'd even consider having work down on my TDI.

Last edited:
TDI
2000 Jetta
ive gone to taylors and he did work on my car without asking me first so im not going there anymore. cost me 150$ for work that didnt need to be done. i like clarence a lot he seems to really know his stuff and is a really nice guy too

Uncle Milty

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA GLS TDI
Just west of Summerside is a man who works on VW's exclusively. He charges much less than any shop, etc.
If your car is already in the shop it's late for shopping.
Too bad about Taylor's, I've never heard of them skinning anyone.
Sounds like glow plugs not all working, or injection pump timing is retarded. Was the timing belt changed lately?
Need computer to check timing.

TDI
2000 Jetta
clarence checked my timing and glow plugs and all the smaller problems. unfortunatly its narrowed down to the injector pump. gonna see about getting it rebuilt, a friends dad recomended stairs in dartmouth ns, anyone know if there any good?