Volkswagen exec reaffirms commitment to diesel: ‘Now it is absolutely clean’

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
*** does prejudice against Indians show up in this thread, or deciding what someone’s opinion is without them voicing it. Talk about prejudice, wow. Good and evil? Go into that one a little more too

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
And then there’s the part about casually dispensing opinions about others but magically becoming so sensitive when called on it, or when others do it to yourself. Enjoy GR. A little bit of Lexington in Michigan.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree with jmodge, that part of your post was insensitive and should be removed.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And then there’s the part about casually dispensing opinions about others but magically becoming so sensitive when called on it, or when others do it to yourself. Enjoy GR. A little bit of Lexington in Michigan.
What casual opinion was that? I don't remember expressing my opinion about tennessee having the best moonshine, but people start drinking it a little too early. Just an opinion, don't have to get out of sorts about it.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm cross pollenizing then

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Anyway, what was this thread about? :confused:
Like a lot of threads, it's morphed into whatever the flavor of the day is. Pumpkin spiced cars, anyone?

Oooh wait... maybe the VW execs are figuring out how to have the DPF put out pumpkin spice when it does a regen! Even better than French fries from wvo.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Europe vs USA

Considering the cost of fuels in Europe and their population density the EVs rate of growth has a potential to be much higher than in North America.

Considering the cost of fuels in the US and historical trends, gasoline powered large vehicles, will be the preferred choice of transportation followed by a very distant second: light duty diesel + gasoline hybrids + EVs

VW will sell in the US what people want to buy. Vehicle such as gasoline powered Tiguans and Atlas are going to eventually dominate if gas stays nationwide at below $3/gallon on average.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW will sell in the US what people want to buy. Vehicle such as gasoline powered Tiguans and Atlas are going to eventually dominate if gas stays nationwide at below $3/gallon on average.
This. At current fuel prices there simply is no incentive for people to conserve, much less change to an unfamiliar technology.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
An Exxon/Mobil station near us was selling 87 octane for $1.99/gallon last week. even at $0.30 more per gallon, it's very compelling to stay with an ICE vehicle.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As we've discussed earlier, if fuel prices rise in small step increments, the public will adjust to the higher prices. It's the large spikes that cause the panic.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's the global trends that will determine which products VW will put their developement euros into. The US isn't a huge market for VW. Europe and China are their bread and butter.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They excel in South America and parts of Africa, too. So much so, they build MANY models there, for there. And even a few for export.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They excel in South America and parts of Africa, too. So much so, they build MANY models there, for there. And even a few for export.
I started this thread yesterday about a new Brazilian designed VW coming to market next year.

oilhammer

TDI
I started this thread yesterday about a new Brazilian designed VW coming to market next year.
Yep, let's hope it is better than the last one... the Fox. Which wasn't really "awful", but it wasn't really that great either.

oilhammer

TDI
The newer Fox was the same thing, the only difference was they gave it a minor facelift which was essentially just the flush mounted headlamps, and they went from CIS (K/KE-jet) to Digifant (VAG's watered down Motronic) and made the 5sp standard (early cars were 4sp, with the "GL5" having the optional 5th gear).

I knew those cars all too well. I owned a few, tried to buy the final two '93s remaining at our dealer in '95, dust and flat tires and all. They would not take a cash deal. They were MSRP'd at $10,500, I offered them $16k for both. Cash. They refused. Went to a different dealer and bought a new '95 Golf GL instead. Mostly out of spite.

Those same two '93 Foxes sat there at least another year, in the back of the lot, one had a window smashed. No idea what ended up happening to them. Sad, they were brand new unsold cars.

The Fox was an outdated design really even in '87 when they came out. The only thing they had going for them over similar priced cars was a bigger, better engine, and they were fuel injected. Stripper Sentras had TBI, though, and the base 323 was EFI. But the Tercel had an awful VV carb, the base Civic still had a carb, and the rest of anything in that price range was a royal piece of junk. The Fox did have the unique 2dr wagon version though, akin to similar models from earlier times from Volkswagen as well as Ford and GM. I had an '89 4dr sedan and an '88 2dr sedan. The wagon version was dropped before the facelift, though.

We did a lot of heater core recalls on them, and it seemed like the only people that bought them were the cheapest of the cheap people and they were rarely cared for properly. They were also a bit of an odd duck in that no automatic transmission option was available, and the manuals they used (both the 4 and 5) were notoriously fragile. Pretty sure they were just revamped old B1 Passat (Dasher here) gearboxes that were never really designed to handle the output of the 1.8L engine (even in its detuned form in a smaller lighter car). We had lots of relatively low mileage cars with broken transmissions towed in, which of course totaled the car. It was sort of a running contest to see who had the biggest tow in crap pile: broken Foxes, broken 096/01M cars, Suzuki [any model] with a rod hole in the block, or any number of burnt to a crisp Nissan models (fuel leaks). VW/Nissan/Suzuki dealer.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, let's hope it is better than the last one... the Fox. Which wasn't really "awful", but it wasn't really that great either.
My previous TDI, a 2002 Golf GLS, was assembled in Curitiba, Brasil. The manual transmission came from Argentina and I believe the engine was shipped there from Germany. All in all a fairly trouble free car.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, but that was not a "Brazilian" car, it was merely assembled there. The Fox (which was only called that here) was the Gol/Voyage/Parati model which WAS designed AND assembled in Brazil. There have been other Brazilian Volkswagens too, but the Fox was the only one we ever got aside from some Peterbilt/Kenworth branded medium duty cabover trucks which were exported to Europe and other parts of the world as the Volkswagen L80.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
It's the global trends that will determine which products VW will put their developement euros into. The US isn't a huge market for VW. Europe and China are their bread and butter.
Correct.

If VW continues to do business in the US will be by selling more and more gasoline powered SUVs. A VW built Tiguan EV (or similar size) with minimum 250 miles of range will be at least $60K, and it will be unlikely this price will drop too much in the next few years (my prediction). With this cost you can buy an Audi Q5 (gasoline powered) right now and have money left over for a few years of scheduled maintenance and fuel.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The US market has not made a profit for VW for a long while and with the EPA cheating it will be a long time before it does as well

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
I REALLY want a SKODA wagon with a 6-speed Stick shift...and a diesel engine...

"She'll be driving 6 white UNICORNS when she comes" sung to "Coming 'round the mountain"...

If the EPA sticker on any car is worth anything, MY right foot can CHEAT it six ways from Sunday! Is it cheating if you KNOW how to drive??

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
I was online looking at TDI's yesterday and was very surprised to see 2012, 2013, 2014 TDI's being sold. I was under the impression that only the 2015 models had been OK'ed to resell. Is that the case or were the ones I saw not involved with the buy back program. Seemed to be pretty low mileage. Anyone point me to an article on the changes made and what to expect as far as mileage. Thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
All TDIs from '09 and later can be fixed and re-sold. Buyback cars cannot be re-sold without being fixed. This has been going on for well over a year. There are lots of enthusiasts out there who had sold back their TDIs and now are owners again.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Except for 2012-2014 manual transmission Passats. Those can't be fixed IIRC, and therefore can't be resold.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Except for 2012-2014 manual transmission Passats. Those can't be fixed IIRC, and therefore can't be resold.
Correct, buyback NMS manual cars cannot be re-sold. Sad. But if owners kept them they can re-sell them.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
I was online looking at TDI's yesterday and was very surprised to see 2012, 2013, 2014 TDI's being sold. I was under the impression that only the 2015 models had been OK'ed to resell. Is that the case or were the ones I saw not involved with the buy back program. Seemed to be pretty low mileage. Anyone point me to an article on the changes made and what to expect as far as mileage. Thanks
Besides the people that caved in and sold their TDIs back, some didn't; a friend of mine dug his heels in, refused to sell his 2014 Audi A3 TDI back, it took forever, but Audi/VW eventually fixed it, and it seems to run better than before Deiselgate. I'm convinced he's not the only person that refused the buyback, and he still has his, but I assume some people that stuck their ground are selling their TDIs, on the used market now. So there's probably that going on too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk