HPFP failure 1 week out from buyback!

alaskax

TDI
2004 Golf, 2013 Jetta Sportswagon
If anything, can someone tell me where I might get some response to this thread? There is a TON of stuff on this topic, but the threads all seem old and "worn out". I'm hoping someone might have a good suggestion for me, but I don't know where I should be posting this topic. I have a hunch everyone is quite weary of it! Also, I want to add a few clear pics of my situation- how do you add pics to a thread??? I see no insert, and copy/paste does not work.
Catastrophic failure of HPFP on 2013 Sportwagen, scheduled to drive 20 miles to dealer for buyback Jan 16, 3 days from now. But now dead, as many others have experienced before, facing an ungodly repair bill. But I just want to get it there on it's own power for the buyback. Tons of metal particles in filter and HPFP, as my pics would show if I could figure out how to add them.
Main question: I don't want to pay $10K just to fix it and drive it 20 miles, and have them drive it around the block. I could get a rebuilt pump for $500 and replace the filter, but would that even make it there with all that metal everywhere? I would do that if I knew it would survive 20 miles! Anyone suggest what minimum I might do to just get it there?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
How many miles on the car? At one time VW was fixing these up to a certain mileage. If they can't be persuaded, I'd be looking for a used pump and probably some used injectors too. Usually the injectors aren't any good once the metal goes everywhere.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I donated my old pump to someone when this happened to him (I swapped my pump to a better CP3). His thread is at the link below. He used my pump, had to get new injectors and flushed all the lines and the tank at a local Indy. It cost $1200 with a donated pump. At the end of the thread, someone else confirmed a similar course of action and a similar price. It sounds like the minimum is to change the pump, get new injectors, and do complete flush of the lines and tank. Then drive as little as possible to get to the dealer for the buyback. There is hope!

I am Fu** , HPFP dead

alaskax

TDI
Thanks I appreciate the link to the thread, which I just read. Sounds like at a minimum I need to find a HP pump, which I already knew, and maybe injectors, which is not a happy thought, but not much is with this. Car only has 34k miles.
I would like to get these parts used if possible, wonder how I can best request this... maybe posting on the dieselgate thread?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dieselgate thread?.... ah, no. 34k is very low miles, did you try to get VW to fix it? They did a warranty extension to 120k miles on the hpfp for '09-'12 tdi's. I'd try to charm them into fixing it first. You could try the parts for sale thread, but I think you'd have better luck contacting/searching salvage yards, looking on eBay and such. I also donated my hpfp to a guy with a failure, but not many will get that lucky.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
34k is very low miles, did you try to get VW to fix it? They did a warranty extension to 120k miles on the hpfp for '09-'12 tdi's. I'd try to charm them into fixing it first.

Agree completely.

Impending buyback or not, 34k miles is well within the manufacturer's warranty.

Maybe try calling a different dealership first and asking gently about warranty coverage, and any possible conflicts with the buyback. Don't give your VIN if you can help it, don't need anything noted on your file, just yet.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks I appreciate the link to the thread, which I just read. Sounds like at a minimum I need to find a HP pump, which I already knew, and maybe injectors, which is not a happy thought, but not much is with this. Car only has 34k miles.
I would like to get these parts used if possible, wonder how I can best request this... maybe posting on the dieselgate thread?
With 34k miles the dealer should be able to fix this car free of charge. This is well within the 60k powertrain warranty. One thing to note... do you have the receipt for when you last filled up just in case the dealer finds fuel contamination?

The extended warranty covers 2009-2012 models after the 60k power train warranty expires.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442862

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There is a for sale forum. At the link below, I searched the forum for "HPFP" and it looks like there are some hits with the pump and the injectors for sale. I checked some and they were sold, but I only checked a few.

HPFP for sale

There is also a thread with a list of folks that got the new CP3 pump. Posting in that thread might be a good place to ask if anyone has a used pump.

CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

Last edited:

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
With 34k miles the dealer should be able to fix this car free of charge. This is well within the 60k powertrain warranty. One thing to note... do you have the receipt for when you last filled up just in case the dealer finds fuel contamination?

The extended warranty covers 2009-2012 models after the 60k power train warranty expires.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442862
Unfortunately, the original poster has a 2013 model.

BrBa

TDI
2010 Jetta - so long friend!
Hopefully he has owned the car for less than 60 months. If so the powertrain warranty should still be in effect.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Unfortunately, the original poster has a 2013 model.
I'm well aware. Which is why I linked to the thread on the topic in my post :cool:

Hopefully he has owned the car for less than 60 months. If so the powertrain warranty should still be in effect.
This /\
Worst case scenario, call VWofA and see if they can goodwill the repair.

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I upgraded to a cp3 and have my stock pump on my work bench. You want it? It may be enough to just change the pump to get it to run. Trailer it to the dealer and drive it in.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Faaaaaasaarck. Good luck to you OP. Sounds like the right idea ^

Swap the pump. Tow it to the dealer. Start and drive it ten feet. Sign the paperwork and hope for the best.

GL!

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
My buyback is scheduled for the 30th. I took out gear I added to the wagen, and now it won't stay on past the initial start. Not sure if the immobilizer is stopping it or if the fuel pump is not getting power. The car has been sitting since October and only been driven 1/4 of a mile. Replaced the battery in December which is measuring 12.86V. Going to pull codes to see what I can find.

My buyback is scheduled for next Tuesday! eeek! Anyone have any thoughts?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
My buyback is scheduled for the 30th. I took out gear I added to the wagen, and now it won't stay on past the initial start. Not sure if the immobilizer is stopping it or if the fuel pump is not getting power. The car has been sitting since October and only been driven 1/4 of a mile. Replaced the battery in December which is measuring 12.86V. Going to pull codes to see what I can find.

My buyback is scheduled for next Tuesday! eeek! Anyone have any thoughts?
Summer fuel? Car parked outdoor? Has it been cold recently? Intercooler iced up?

Last edited:

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupidly, I cut some wires to save some harnesses for the parking sensors, gentex rear view mirror, and amp I installed. I think I must have cut the power to ground wire along the driver's side floor, along with some others. I kept what I cut (believe me I regret doing this 1000x) and am trying to figure out what I need to reattach to get the car to turn over. Ran a scan today and I am sure that there are multiple shorts because I was rushing and not thinking. Urgh!

I did not disconnect the ASV. The car has been outside since October and has barely moved. It has been extremely frigid in December and January, which killed the stock battery. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago and moved the car into my neighbor's barn garage. It ran then.

I have the intercooler fix from a few years back, and ny car electrician is coming on Saturday to help undo my stupidity.

While I am sure most of you are smarter than me in this regard, let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to wrestle with the electrical beast in all of our cars. If you can avoid it, do not cut any wires to "save harnesses". It is not worth the angst.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeez, that sounds like an epic mistake. Good luck getting it patched back up. Probably the immobilizer is disabling the car.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Ouch. Good luck. I was going to offer you my old OEM CP4 pump. Keep us posted.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
thank you - may take you up on it. Going to re-attach wires on Saturday.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
My friend Jason Frey of ShortCircuitsAutomotive.com is a genius. Yesterday morning, I pulled back the trim expecting hours of work to undo the moronic snips of the scissors. Jason asked a ton of questions, checked all of the fuses, replaced two bad ones, then ran several scans. I thought we had a few long days in front of us. I was wrong, the Wagen lives!

I will post more details on this thread after the buyback is complete. But I will say that it took Jason a half hour to wrap up a few things, and discover that the Can Bus gateway was not properly plugged in before we turned the Wagen over. :D

Thanks to everyone for their help and kind offers on this thread. Buyback is scheduled for Tuesday morning. I will post more details after I turn in the keys and this beloved Wagen.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback completed this morning. Waiting for the ETF email from Chase.

alaskax

TDI
OP here, delayed thanks for the helpful inputs. My 34K miles 2013 Sportwagen would be under warranty, but unfortuantely it was in a wreck early on and has a salvage title. I'm working with Travis45 getting a fuel pump, super happy about that. Anyone have a set of used injectors?? :) I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if it starts with the old injectors after flushing, but I'm assuming that will not be successful.
Also, bought a 2015 tdi Sportwagen just before the hpfp disaster, and am wondering if I should be doing a CP3 on that. I have "heard" the pump was changed for that year, but no confirmation. ??

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Nice to meet you tonight Alaskax.

Just holler if you have any questions.

alaskax

TDI
Tons of gratitude travis45! Finally now have time to actually GET to it!

Clarification on the CP3 question above, I've been curious about the integrity of the pump in my "new" 2015 JSW. It's the 2013 JSW that has the salvage title, thus VW said "no" about the failed pump.