VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
That sucks. Did they not offer you a jump so that you could show that it runs, or was it that they were sticking to it has to start by itself too (hence the argument)? This seems like another of those issues that was ignored last year but they are being picky/sticky now (whether right or wrong).
This was an "issue" since first day closing were done through virtual iPad thing. They want to make sure car starts on its own, no boosters or jumps.

I spoke to a truck driver that was picking up buybacks from the dealership. He told me their contract does not allow them to jump any cars that they pick up. If it doesnt start, they are supposed to leave them. This is for insurance reasons in case something gets burned during jump start.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Attempted vehicle return on 8/30/18, drove vehicle 100 miles. Started video process to return car...No Start, end of attempt. Fought with VW for an hour stating no where in their literature did ut say "Must Start" under its own power, only that it must be driven.
I took no chances turning in my Touareg that had been sitting for 1 1/2 years and had a questionable battery. Just left it to idle while I went inside to start the paper work.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Can you tell us why this car was rejected in the first place?
Thanks
Salvage title.

That sucks. Did they not offer you a jump so that you could show that it runs, or was it that they were sticking to it has to start by itself too (hence the argument)? This seems like another of those issues that was ignored last year but they are being picky/sticky now (whether right or wrong).
Yes, no start, no return. Even though it was running on the drive and they witnessed it move under its own power.

This was an "issue" since first day closing were done through virtual iPad thing. They want to make sure car starts on its own, no boosters or jumps.
I spoke to a truck driver that was picking up buybacks from the dealership. He told me their contract does not allow them to jump any cars that they pick up. If it doesnt start, they are supposed to leave them. This is for insurance reasons in case something gets burned during jump start.
Lady doing my buy back said that jumping them off is a normal part of the process when they are being moved from their storage area.

I took no chances turning in my Touareg that had been sitting for 1 1/2 years and had a questionable battery. Just left it to idle while I went inside to start the paper work.
Was this a recent return with the video or prior to?

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Was this a recent return with the video or prior to?
Yes it was a July 2018 Salvage return. I actually first used it on a clean title return in February when they were just making the transition to dealer completed buybacks. Let it idle...

05tdiwagon

TDI
TDI's
Previous owner restitution?

I was extremely lucky and was able to return all 4 of my 2.0 TDI's, really wish all of us here would have the same outcome. My question is about the Bosch payment and the restitution payment (I was only paid "vehicle amount" during the buyback process), anyone has any comments on that? I am entitled to any portion of the restitution given all vehicles were purchased in early 2017 and holding a rebuilt titles? Just looking to hear your opinions. Thank you!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I was in the first wave of normal turn-ins (the very first month of the very first non-totaled turn-ins) and my dealership pulled this crap on me. I have a long post on the topic and a lot of forum members jumped my case for what I wrote but it's not a new issue although may be newly imposed as you say. More likely than not, this comes to individual dealership interpretation rather than an edict from higher ups to reject them all outright.

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Did anyone received any part of restitution money yet on rebuilt title,which was paid only buy back amount?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Did anyone received any part of restitution money yet on rebuilt title,which was paid only buy back amount?

Those will be paid out only in 2019. I was told VW will be auditing all salvage titles and seeing if restitution is owed.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Any salvage title turn in folks see a Bosch payment yet?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Yes I did on all the salvaged titles I turned last year before VW placed the hold on branded title claims in May.

I received the Bosch payment for all closed buyback claims.

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
Both of my 2015 Passats Denied yesterday and today, one is clean title registered in July 2017, and the other vehicle was registered in Jun 2017 with a reconstructed title. It seems to me that they copy and paste VW lame reasons, and there you go..

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are not eligible for benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. Your vehicle is ineligible because it is a salvage branded (total loss) vehicle and is therefore not operable or cannot be legally registered and/or driven. The stated goal of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement is to “compensate owners or lessees of Eligible Vehicles for any harm they suffered as a result of the emissions issues and to ensure that Volkswagen’s 2.0-liter TDI vehicles do not generate excess NOx emissions.” Because your vehicle cannot be legally driven and you are not the owner or lessee who suffered the original harm caused by the vehicle’s TDI emissions issues, your claim is not consistent with the goal of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement and is not eligible for compensation. As such, your appeal to the Claims Review Committee is denied. Because this vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the TDI Settlement Claim Program, no new claims submitted under this VIN will be accepted.

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
Here is their response on the clean title vehicle, and just look at the difference between clean title and reconstructed which I have posted above..

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are not eligible for benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. As such, your appeal to the Claims Review Committee is denied. If you currently own your vehicle, you may still receive an emissions modification if it has been approved for your vehicle. You can receive the approved emissions modification free of charge, but you will not be eligible for any compensation under the Settlement. For further information on the Settlement, including the Court-approved Settlement Agreement and Notice, please visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
Here is their response on the clean title vehicle, and just look at the difference between clean title and reconstructed which I have posted above..

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are not eligible for benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. As such, your appeal to the Claims Review Committee is denied. If you currently own your vehicle, you may still receive an emissions modification if it has been approved for your vehicle. You can receive the approved emissions modification free of charge, but you will not be eligible for any compensation under the Settlement. For further information on the Settlement, including the Court-approved Settlement Agreement and Notice, please visit

Ya, what's the deal with your clean title? Why would it not be eligible?

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
The original denial for both cars were the same..

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxxxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.

In the email CRC States that I can get modification done at no cost, and no compensation. I had filed multiple times with VW and got denied 3 times, and few times they denied on the basis that the car is salvaged and therefore not operable, which is clearly a false statement, since the car has a reconstructed title, and operable. It’s hard to believe they are doing this.

I think this case is far from over.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From my reading of some of the claims here they wanted it operable on a certain day. If you can't prove that it was operable on that day, then denied. You also seem to be saying that both cars had salvage titles at one time on one is now "clean" and the other "reconstructed". Is that correct?

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
From my reading of some of the claims here they wanted it operable on a certain day. If you can't prove that it was operable on that day, then denied. You also seem to be saying that both cars had salvage titles at one time on one is now "clean" and the other "reconstructed". Is that correct?

Correct, but they never asked me for proof of operability, which means I don’t fall in that category because both Accidents happened in 2017..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Technically neither of these cars have a clean title as that implies no accident history at all. Lets say they have "cleaned up" titles that used to be salvage titles from past accidents.

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
Technically neither of these cars have a clean title as that implies no accident history at all. Lets say they have "cleaned up" titles that used to be salvage titles from past accidents.

If you carefully look at one of the denials, they state that the car is not operable, which is a false statement; then they state that it cannot be legally registered or driven. Which any of these statements seem authentic to you? They have stated their reasons clearly, and they are obviously false, and I won’t agree to that. Remember Carfax is a third-party company, and they have to stick to the law. The DMV is much higher instance then Carfax. It’s already clear that they are trying to avoid the costs, especially on the models that I have, otherwise they will have to shell out over 30+K which they obviously don’t want..

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
Do you have any idea what you are going to do now?

I have an attorney that is interested in this case only if my vehicle gets denied by CRC last instance. I will be in touch with him next week..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Like I said before it seems they mean not operable on a certain date. To me none of the denials have very clear cut explanations to them. Being that your cars were salvage at one time, that seems to be the likely reason. The rules were changed towards the end in dealing with salvage cars and there are important dates and operability requirements attached to that. You seem to be failing on this point. Probably going to take a lawyer to get anything done, if at all. To VW $30k is chicken feed at this point. You getting representation to go after them will cost you more than that more than likely. There is another firm pursuing claims on them as well and maybe you should contact them at this point.

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
Like I said before it seems they mean not operable on a certain date. To me none of the denials have very clear cut explanations to them. Being that your cars were salvage at one time, that seems to be the likely reason. The rules were changed towards the end in dealing with salvage cars and there are important dates and operability requirements attached to that. You seem to be failing on this point. Probably going to take a lawyer to get anything done, if at all. To VW $30k is chicken feed at this point. You getting representation to go after them will cost you more than that more than likely. There is another firm pursuing claims on them as well and maybe you should contact them at this point.

Something tells me that there could be another class action deriving from the current one, all will depend how many of us out there. Hopefully EPA will pressure them.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There already is another one waiting. Don't get your hopes up on the EPA or any other government entity coming back into the game. They got their blood money and don't care much anymore.

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
There already is another one waiting. Don't get your hopes up on the EPA or any other government entity coming back into the game. They got their blood money and don't care much anymore.

I am with you.. I think this week manny people will get a response from CRC, I wish all the best of luck..

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
We just received denials for 8 vehicles from the CRC.

All 8 cars were totaled after 6/28/16 and all were rebuilt November of 2017, well before the 2/26/18 deadline.

There was no reason given by the CRC other than, "The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are not eligible for benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. As such, your appeal to the Claims Review Committee is denied"

I am looking for any leads on a good attorney at this point.......... Anyone know a good lawyer?