Asking price for '03 TDI Wagon 5 speed with 94,000 miles?

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
Here's my blurb for Craig's List: 2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, 5 spd manual. 94,600 miles. I had the timing belt (and related parts) replaced at 80,000, and the injector pump replaced at 86,000. The car always got a solid 50 mpg on the freeway. With Michelen Energy Savers I sometimes get 53 mpg. The car has been garaged 98% of it’s life. I baby the car and don’t let anybody else drive it. It’s in really nice condition. Best offer.

I have no idea what this car is worth. Any ideas? I'm in California, so no rust problems.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Here's my blurb for Craig's List: 2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, 5 spd manual. 94,600 miles. I had the timing belt (and related parts) replaced at 80,000, and the injector pump replaced at 86,000. The car always got a solid 50 mpg on the freeway. With Michelen Energy Savers I sometimes get 53 mpg. The car has been garaged 98% of it’s life. I baby the car and don’t let anybody else drive it. It’s in really nice condition. Best offer.

I have no idea what this car is worth. Any ideas? I'm in California, so no rust problems.

Interested
Pictures?
Color int & ext

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
You need to set a price. This isn't an auction site.

You can check NADA and KBB for values.

Where are you in California?

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
You need to set a price. This isn't an auction site.

You can check NADA and KBB for values.

Where are you in California?
I'm in Santa Cruz. I'm just wondering if someone has an opinion on value. The Kelly BB is really low. I posted on Craig's List without a price, hoping for a reasonable offer, which might be why I got a lot of responses all over the board.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Start high, see what you can get. Given low miles and no rust and that you are in California I'd start at maybe $7k or so. Maybe even $8k. You might get it.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in Santa Cruz. I'm just wondering if someone has an opinion on value. The Kelly BB is really low. I posted on Craig's List without a price, hoping for a reasonable offer, which might be why I got a lot of responses all over the board.
"Reasonable offer" is entirely subjective. There are a bunch of MK VI and VII Buyback TDIs for sale right now so its probably not the best time to sell if you are trying to get crazy money for it.

I've seen a number of VW Certified Jetta Sportwagen 6MT cars with ~100K miles selling for $10k or less on Cars.com and Ebay.

For me, a vehicle that has all documented records of proper maintenance (proper oil changes with synthetic HDEO 5w40 and filter changes) is more important than actual mileage.

What happened to the injector pump? Why did it fail so early?

I'm local to you. I would like to see the Wagon this week if it's still available.

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
Hi-- I had the first injector pump fail within a few months of buying the car. I had a second way show a code within a couple of years. I was using a mix with some biodiesel. It was working great, but had a code, and VW replaced it. So this one has lasted about 12 years. The mechanics at Specialized Auto said they can age without a lot of miles just by the passage of time. I stopped using any biodiesel mix after the prior injector. I'm in Santa Cruz. "danaher@cruzio.com" if you want to contact me. Thanks for your thoughts. Jim

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So you've been told a good starting price and yet still fail to list an asking price. I HATE sellers like this. Post a price and see what the market yields. If no interest at initial price, continue lowering it until you begin getting interest.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Hi-- I had the first injector pump fail within a few months of buying the car. I had a second way show a code within a couple of years. I was using a mix with some biodiesel. It was working great, but had a code, and VW replaced it. So this one has lasted about 12 years. The mechanics at Specialized Auto said they can age without a lot of miles just by the passage of time. I stopped using any biodiesel mix after the prior injector. I'm in Santa Cruz. "danaher@cruzio.com" if you want to contact me. Thanks for your thoughts. Jim
As per forum rules you must post an asking price. This isnt an auction.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
So this is actually the 4th Injector pump? Am I reading this right? On a car that has 98K miles... That is not normal wear and tear.

Bad Biodiesel can contaminate and cause corrosion in in an Injection pump. It can also contaminate the entire fuel system and ruin your injectors as well.

Did they replace any other parts of the fuel system?

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
Hi-- I was just posting to ask what the car is worth. I re-posted on Craig's List for $7500, following advice from a few people.

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
I don't know what else was replaced. The car is running great with the new pump and whatever else they put in. I haven't used a bio-diesel mix in about 12 years.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
Are you referring to wvo or biodiesel? It's difficult to buy diesel without "up to" 5% bio from the pump these days. WVO would explain the pump failures.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you referring to wvo or biodiesel? It's difficult to buy diesel without "up to" 5% bio from the pump these days. WVO would explain the pump failures.
Many truck stops in CA now sell B20 exclusively. I’ve never tried it and don’t plan on it anytime soon.

This is another recent thread where bad “Biodiesel” from somewhere in Northern California also ate up two injection pumps on an ALH.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493082.

I wonder if this same batch of contaminated fuel was consumed by both engines?

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
You're in North Carolina. You probably need a boat instead of a car. I was born in Ft. Bragg a long time ago, but didn't stick around long enough to get an accent. Good luck finding a closer TDI wagon.

Landshark03

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5 spd.
It was mostly B5% from a local station, which is supposedly ok with the VW corporation. But I haven't seen B5 in a long time, and I've stayed away from it, even though I've heard positive points about using it.