BROKEN BUG: Anyone heard this sound????

8675-30-9

TDI
1998, 2001, 2002 & 2004 New Beetle TDI's
2004 BEW Beetle 345,000kms. VNT-17 With Stage 2 Malone Tune, VR6 Clutch Upgrade for optimum HP. Mind if I smoke? lol

Don't want to let it run too long for obvious reasons. This is a popping noise coming from the engine bay. Bad valves? If so it happened instantaneously???
Idled her to side of road with no power. Towed home today. :(
NO CODES FOUND. No MIL.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej2241dkdtq7uqp/Volkswagen%20backfire%3F.m4a?dl=0
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just taking a WAG, but have you looked at your cam lately? If not I would give it a look.

When mine went I would have described it as a (gasser) exhaust manifold leak/knocking sound. It went one morning driving the kids to school.

Last edited:

8675-30-9

TDI
Well the diagnosis is in. I pulled her apart. Split a lifter vertically in half. She's done! New head, timing belt, new cam & lifters. $1500.00 or so bare minimum. Have to decide to scrap, she's had a tough life......

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
What is the condition of the car apart from the top end of the engine? What part of Canada are you in? I ask because rust may be a factor. There are a couple of TDI Beetles on the West Coast selling in around $3k CDN right now. So you can see the upside value if it is running. If you plan to keep it for several more years, it may be worth the $1,500.

Tough decision.

On another note VW Canada is offer 0% financing on certified preowned TDI's so they are selling off the 2015's from the scandal.

8675-30-9

TDI
What is the condition of the car apart from the top end of the engine? What part of Canada are you in? I ask because rust may be a factor. There are a couple of TDI Beetles on the West Coast selling in around $3k CDN right now. So you can see the upside value if it is running. If you plan to keep it for several more years, it may be worth the $1,500.

Tough decision.

On another note VW Canada is offer 0% financing on certified preowned TDI's so they are selling off the 2015's from the scandal.
Yeah unfortunately starting to rust around the windshield, it's been hit in the rear quarter recently (driving downtown Calgary has proven hard on her, hit almost once a year) and quite frankly it's just not worth the investment. I am choosing to peel the good parts our of her. It's a pisser because I just dropped $5g's into it over the past 1.5 years (new turbo, fuel pump, computer flash & timing belt etc) Thought it had more life......

Last edited: